ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Qualification...

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

krssubbu

English Language

Post by krssubbu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi all

need a bit of help with another question relating to English Language

My wife got her dependent visa in May 2012 and entered UK, later she got her ILR Visa in July 2014. Now she is planning for her citizenship application - She studied and got her degree in India and her Bachelors is equivalent to UK degree but I dont remember she giving UK NARIC for her dependent visa or ILR, does she need to give UK NARIC for her citizenship? or will they accept it considering she has got her dependent and ILR visa?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: English Language

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:05 pm

does she need to give UK NARIC for her citizenship?

Yes, UKVI red route.
or will they accept it considering she has got her dependent and ILR visa?
She didn't need English for her tier 1 dependent visa. The requirements have also changed since 2014 and back then she likely submitted the points based calculator for her degree assessment, which dependents could do, but the pbs calculator is no longer relevant.

At risk of a refusal, best to either do the English test or get NARIC ELA and comparable assessment, either one costs £150.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks CR001
when you say English test what do you mean by this?

Sorry new to UK Naric, how do I obtain it? I am planning to do in Jan so will i get it by then?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:20 pm

A B1 English test that is on the approved list issued by HO at an HO approved test provider. It is literally a 10/20 minute test.

For NARIC, see below.

https://www.naric.org.uk/visas%20and%20 ... fault.aspx
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks CR001 - looks like the B1 exam is around £200 - I mightself go for UK NARIC which is £150 saving £50 :)

on the UK NARIC website it says

"If you are using our services to provide evidence of your English language proficiency, then we will ALSO need:

evidence of the medium of instruction of your study"

What evidence is required for medium of instruction?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:44 pm

B1 GESE English is £150 at Trinity - only book direct.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

krssubbu

English Language Qualification...

Post by krssubbu » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi

I have a doubt regarding citizenship application for my wife who has a degree from india. So if I am able to obtain a letter from her university saying her degree was thought in english along with her original Bachelors degree certificate, is it enough?

This was taken from the guidance notes:

If your degree was taught or researched in English

You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.

If you have a degree from a UK university, you only need your degree certificate.

If your degree is not from a UK university, you’ll need your degree certificate and one of the following:

a letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: English Language Qualification...

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Your wife need a NARIC ELA (Red Route) .
https://www.naric.org.uk/visas%20and%20 ... /FAQs.aspx
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks Casa so for clarification even a letter wont do? just trying to save some pounds:)

I did the same for her ILR visa...so just asking

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:33 pm

krssubbu wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 am
Thanks Casa so for clarification even a letter wont do? just trying to save some pounds:)

I did the same for her ILR visa...so just asking
The advice has NOT changed since you asked the same question on 5th December.

Nationality LAWS are completely independent and separate to Immigration Rules for ILR.

If you fail to provide the REQUIRED and MANDATORY documents, the application will be refused.

Trying to avoid paying £150 for either NARIC or B1 test could potentially cost you the £1330 citizenship fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)