ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Colombian Spouse Visa Advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Colombian Spouse Visa Advice

Post by BenAnswers2 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Hello All,

I am 18 years old and married (in Colombia) my 27-year old Colombian wife in November of this year. The same month, I found out that she is pregnant...!

Obviously I'm very happy about this surprise but as a result, I'd very much like to get a Visa as quickly as possible in order that eventually we might be able to live together in England. As I am a British citizen other than by descent, my child (as I understand it) would automatically be entitled to British citizenship even if born in Colombia. Is this correct?

I have enough savings (approximately £64000) to cover the financial requirement for the Visa. As I understand it, this would only need to be in my name as the sponsor. Is this right?

Are Family of a Settled Person Visas relatively to obtain with the required paperwork or are officers actively looking for reasons to reject applications?

We have been married for only a very short period of time but have been together physically for four months (not consecutively) since July. We have been talking online since September 2017. Is this a problem or will it likely be acceptable to the person reviewing our application?

My final question is whether my wife will be interviewed in English or Spanish at the Visa processing centre in Colombia? I can imagine it would be quite intimidating were she to be asked complicated immigration-related questions in English.

Also, is there any other general advice you might be able to give me to help with the application process?

Thanks in advance for your insight and advice!

Gratefully,
Ben

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Colombian Spouse Visa Advice

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:26 pm

How long have you held the savings at that level and what is the source of the funds??

As an 18 year old sponsor, home office might be interested to know where the money comes from.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Post by BenAnswers2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:26 am

Hello,

A very successful online business that I started when I was 16. It might be unusual, but is that any reason to reject an application?

Maybe it would be better if I explained the source of the savings in the Visa application itself?

Thanks.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Post by BenAnswers2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:27 am

I have held the savings at that level in a specific account for about 5 months.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:27 am

Savings must be held for a minimum of 6 months in an accessible account. This assumes these have been declared to HMRC for tax.

You MUST submit evidence of the source of the savings when submitting the visa application.

There is no 'interview' at the VAC. This is simply a service outsourced to an agency with no role in the decision-making process. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:27 am
This assumes these have been declared to HMRC for tax.

Tax on savings is only charged when it yield interest on it then after £1000 of free allowance of savings interest the tax is charged on savings interest. Saving can also be held in current account which most often don't yield any interest.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:40 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:33 pm
Casa wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:27 am
This assumes these have been declared to HMRC for tax.

Tax on savings is only charged when it yield interest on it then after £1000 of free allowance of savings interest the tax is charged on savings interest. Saving can also be held in current account which most often don't yield any interest.
I was referring to a declaration to HMRC on earnings...not on savings. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Post by BenAnswers2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Whatever happens the tax is all paid so no problems there.