ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British or Indian Passport for new born to OCI Parents from Bahrain

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

justinmathews
Newly Registered

British or Indian Passport for new born to OCI Parents from Bahrain

Post by justinmathews » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi friends,

My wife and I are both British passport holders (naturalised in 2014) with OCI cards. Both are working in Bahrain, but wife is on maternity leave in India. We would like to go back to Bahrain soon after the baby is born and resume life as normal, but the British passport application process from India seems to be a long and painful waiting game.

Can we apply for an Indian passport for the baby? What category does the baby qualify for Indian passport under - by descent or by birth or by registration?

We plan to apply to British passport for the baby after reaching Bahrain, as it is faster from there and would not be under time pressure. Is this likely to cause the baby to then have to surrender the Indian passport and apply for OCI?

Many thanks in advance.
Justin

secret.simon

Re: British or Indian Passport for new born to OCI Parents from Bahrain

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:38 am

It seems that it is possible for a child born to parents with OCI to apply for a full Indian passport if the child is born in India. In that sense, OCI seems to equate to full Indian citizenship, at least for the purpose of acquiring Indian citizenship.

I disagree with that interpretation (see earlier in the thread), but who am I to argue with the Indian passport authorities?

If the child applies for a British passport, then yes, s/he needs to surrender his Indian passport and apply for OCI. Alternatively, s/he can hold the Indian passport with CoE-RoA until the age of 18, when s/he must decide whether to retain British or Indian citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.