ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Britons visiting America will now have to register 72 hours

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Fairtrade

Britons visiting America will now have to register 72 hours

Post by Fairtrade » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:54 pm

Britons visiting America will now have to register 72 hours in advance

British visitors to the United States will have to register their trip with the American government 72 hours before they leave, it will be announced today.

The new plans - the latest in a series of measures designed to strengthen security - will see all travellers from countries which do not currently require a visa forced to register online three days before flying.

The scheme is expected to be announced today by Homeland Security
secretary Michael Chertoff, to take effect from January.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... vance.html

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:25 am

Pretty much the same as Spain, then. You have to supply your passport details in advance, or the airline won't let you get on the plane.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:53 am

Just out of curiosity, why no other country (either Europe or non european countries) is imposing anything like what Americans are imposing on others? Does it mean that Americans are superior than anyone else in the world? What a load of rubbish.

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Britons visiting America will now have to register 72 ho

Post by 86ti » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:09 am

Fairtrade wrote:Britons visiting America will now have to register 72 hours in advance

British visitors to the United States will have to register their trip with the American government 72 hours before they leave, it will be announced today.

The new plans - the latest in a series of measures designed to strengthen security - will see all travellers from countries which do not currently require a visa forced to register online three days before flying.

The scheme is expected to be announced today by Homeland Security
secretary Michael Chertoff, to take effect from January.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... vance.html
Well, actually it will affect all those countries participating in the visa-waiver program as far as I understand... So most of Europe, Japan, NZ, AUS,...

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 am

eliasuk4u wrote:Just out of curiosity, why no other country (either Europe or non european countries) is imposing anything like what Americans are imposing on others? Does it mean that Americans are superior than anyone else in the world? What a load of rubbish.
I don't think that's entirely true. I find that the Australians' Electonic Travel Authority requirement is more than vaguely similar to the Americans' new scheme.

I do wonder, however, how the UK/EU will respond to this and how soon they may implement a similar demand of their own...

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:48 am

RobinLondon wrote:I don't think that's entirely true. I find that the Australians' Electonic Travel Authority requirement is more than vaguely similar to the Americans' new scheme.

I do wonder, however, how the UK/EU will respond to this and how soon they may implement a similar demand of their own...
I think that the Australian Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is very similar indeed. In fact, from what I have read the US plan might well have been modelled, at least in part, on the Australian system.

I don't think it's a big deal really, except for
  • — those people who want to travel at very short notice (although, as I read it, the 72-hour thing is not a requirement but a recommendation),
    — those without access to the internet (although they will presumably be booking their flight through an airline or travel agent anyway, who can effect the necessary arrangements), and
    — those for whom the system goes wrong somehow (although I have to say that one doesn't hear of that happening with the Australian ETA).

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 am

eliasuk4u wrote:Just out of curiosity, why no other country (either Europe or non european countries) is imposing anything like what Americans are imposing on others? Does it mean that Americans are superior than anyone else in the world? What a load of rubbish.
How in the world would you come up with that?
More superior? What is the superiority in requiring registration.
Is it not a sign of being scared?
How does superiority play into it.?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:34 pm

republique wrote:
How in the world would you come up with that?
More superior? What is the superiority in requiring registration.
Plenty of countries require visas of visitors — the difference there is that the information is not (necessarily) submitted electronically and there is physical evidence placed in the passport, in the form of a sticker or stamp. In this case, the information is submitted electronically and there is nothing placed in the passport. And of course, plenty of countries that require visas take much more than 72 hours to process the application...

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Are you talking about America here?? Yes, I think so. They are sacred because of their foreign policy is coming back to haunt them.
I would be happy if most of the countries impose same rule on American citizens that Americans wishing to travel should register 72 hours in advance. How does that sound?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:34 pm

eliasuk4u wrote:
Are you talking about America here?? Yes, I think so. They are sacred because of their foreign policy is coming back to haunt them.
I would be happy if most of the countries impose same rule on American citizens that Americans wishing to travel should register 72 hours in advance. How does that sound?
Sounds like you are just bitter, because that requirement isn't an expression of superiority so if you think so, then I feel sorry for you.
Some countries do impose visa restrictions. Brazil and Australia require US citiizens to obtain a visa before visiting. If the USA requires registration and you don't like it, then don't visit it but stop being bitter and crying out that the USA thinks its superior and it is manifested by this requirement of registration. That's just ridiculous to put that together as such.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Sounds like you are just bitter, because that requirement isn't an expression of superiority

Its nothing bitter about America. I think it is expression of superiority. As I said earlier how would American's feel if they are asked to register 72 hours in advance if they want to visit Europe. They might say to Piss off. but if its other way round its their home land security.
Some countries do impose visa restrictions. Brazil and Australia require US citiizens to obtain a visa before visiting.
We are not talking about VISA restrictions here we are talking about the restrictions imposed on NON visa nationals. Why can't America simply say to get a visa to before entering its shore which will expire in few months or years time instead of registering in a system which will hold your data for 15 YEARS.

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 pm

eliasuk4u wrote:As I said earlier how would American's feel if they are asked to register 72 hours in advance if they want to visit Europe.
I think most Americans I know would be OK with that. Bad things have happened in Europe too - would be nice if both US and Europe became safer places.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:50 pm

republique wrote:Brazil and Australia require US citiizens to obtain a visa before visiting.
Actually, Australia requires US citizens (and the citizens of some other countries) to have an electronic travel authority (ETA), which, as noted above, is very similar to the new US scheme.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:27 am

eliasuk4u wrote:
Sounds like you are just bitter, because that requirement isn't an expression of superiority

Its nothing bitter about America. I think it is expression of superiority. As I said earlier how would American's feel if they are asked to register 72 hours in advance if they want to visit Europe. They might say to Piss off. but if its other way round its their home land security.
Some countries do impose visa restrictions. Brazil and Australia require US citiizens to obtain a visa before visiting.
We are not talking about VISA restrictions here we are talking about the restrictions imposed on NON visa nationals. Why can't America simply say to get a visa to before entering its shore which will expire in few months or years time instead of registering in a system which will hold your data for 15 YEARS.
So far you still haven't explained how it is superiority to require registration before visiting. And I do not see your distinction about non visa nationals. Why would you ask people with visas to register, clearly you got them in your database already?
And yeah so can everyone else say piss off if they don't want to register so what is your point. American's don't care if they have to register, they vote with their feet and if they don't like it, they won't go there. They don't care so again I don't see your point, if you don't like it, don't go to the usa.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:00 am

So far you still haven't explained how it is superiority to require registration before visiting
I answered this questions numerous times, i will repeat again if you insist. Americans wants all the non visa nationals to register 72 hours in advance before they board the plane to US. but my question and the time will tell, what will happen if it happen to be the other way around. Say all the American citizens need to register 72hours in advance if they want to travel to all the non visa required nations such as European countries. Americans will probably will say "I don't think so buddy" which makes them to think that they are superior than any other citizens in the world.
And yeah so can everyone else say piss off if they don't want to register so what is your point
My point is would American's register 72hours in advance if they want to visit Europe??? I don't see that happening in near future ...
American's don't care if they have to register,
Yeah rite...
if you don't like it, don't go to the usa.
I never said I want to visit. And its the last place in the world I would wanna visit unless they change their attitudes towards.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:55 pm

eliasuk4u wrote:
So far you still haven't explained how it is superiority to require registration before visiting
I answered this questions numerous times, i will repeat again if you insist. Americans wants all the non visa nationals to register 72 hours in advance before they board the plane to US. but my question and the time will tell, what will happen if it happen to be the other way around. Say all the American citizens need to register 72hours in advance if they want to travel to all the non visa required nations such as European countries. Americans will probably will say "I don't think so buddy" which makes them to think that they are superior than any other citizens in the world.
And yeah so can everyone else say piss off if they don't want to register so what is your point
My point is would American's register 72hours in advance if they want to visit Europe??? I don't see that happening in near future ...

American's don't care if they have to register,
Yeah rite...
if you don't like it, don't go to the usa.
I never said I want to visit. And its the last place in the world I would wanna visit unless they change their attitudes towards.
I said the same thing, Americans won't go if they have to register and it has nothing to do with superiority, it has to do with convenience. The USA is about customer service and if it isn't easy, we don't get involved.
So stop this nonsense about superiority.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:27 pm

Americans won't go if they have to register and it has nothing to do with superiority
There you go, American won't register if Eurpoeans impose same scheme on them but other have register if they wanna visit them.. eh? I hope European union DO impose similar registration scheme on US citizens soon.
it has to do with convenience.
If it is for convenience it have to be two way not just one way.
So stop this nonsense about superiority
You need to accept the truth. some times truth is bitter.
Its a very long, never ending debate (and a good one too!) about this issue so I think we both should stop before Admin or moderator step in and ban both.
Goodluck Uncle SAM 8)

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:53 pm

eliasuk4u wrote:
Americans won't go if they have to register and it has nothing to do with superiority
There you go, American won't register if Eurpoeans impose same scheme on them but other have register if they wanna visit them.. eh? I hope European union DO impose similar registration scheme on US citizens soon.
it has to do with convenience.
If it is for convenience it have to be two way not just one way.
So stop this nonsense about superiority
You need to accept the truth. some times truth is bitter.
Its a very long, never ending debate (and a good one too!) about this issue so I think we both should stop before Admin or moderator step in and ban both.
Goodluck Uncle SAM 8)
Hope all you want but no one is going to impose any restrictions on the USA because we are a good source of income for the travel industry around the world.
No it does not have to be a two way street.
If everything was reciprocal, the the immigration rules around the world would be exactly the same so that reasoning is completely wrong.
The truth off the matter is that the the truth doesn't hurt. Unfortunately, you don't understand what the truth is with your faulty reasoning.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 pm

republique wrote: Hope all you want but no one is going to impose any restrictions on the USA because we are a good source of income for the travel industry around the world.
Well, I can easily imagine the Schengen countries imposing some sort of similar requirement on non-visa non-EU/EEA nationals at some point in the future. It's partly a question of technology, too: a few years ago the logistics of this sort of arrangement would have been either impossible or impracticable. It isn't so any longer, thanks to the internet and improvements in digital data storage.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:25 pm

Christophe wrote:
republique wrote: Hope all you want but no one is going to impose any restrictions on the USA because we are a good source of income for the travel industry around the world.
Well, I can easily imagine the Schengen countries imposing some sort of similar requirement on non-visa non-EU/EEA nationals at some point in the future. It's partly a question of technology, too: a few years ago the logistics of this sort of arrangement would have been either impossible or impracticable. It isn't so any longer, thanks to the internet and improvements in digital data storage.
Maybe but I doubt it. France tried to do it at one point and it became too much admin for them that they gave up.
But eliasuk seems to think that there is some magical quid pro quo going on and there isn't because migration trends are different and situations are different such as 9/11. And for him to think somehow the reaction of 9/11 and requiring registration is a sign of superiority is just preposterous.
Last edited by republique on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:33 pm

no one is going to impose any restrictions on the USA because we are a good source of income for the travel industry around the world.

Not anymore.. Dollar is going down for good few months against Euro. Wake up my friend! and soon EU will follow US on the same registration restrictions. For eg. fingerscans introduced by US is now followed by Britain and almost all EU countries, Japan etc. So be ready.
Typical......! Why not? So only American needs to protect themselves from the threat and Europe should be open door for threats from US and other countries with out any registation schemes?
you don't understand what the truth is with your faulty reasoning.
Again typical of Uncle SAM who always believe and expect others to believe in what they believe is right.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34 pm

republique wrote: Maybe but I doubt it. France tried to do it at one point and it became too much admin for them that they gave up
Well, US citizens (along with all non-EU non-Swiss citizens) required visas to visit France from about 1986 to about 1991 or so (I don't remember the exact dates, but it was that period — in the pre-Schengen days, of course).

I'm not saying that it will happen, I'm am merely saying that it could, and the US scheme, and the Australian ETA (now well established), might be early examples of the way that these things go in other jurisdictions as well.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:36 pm

Christophe wrote:
republique wrote: Maybe but I doubt it. France tried to do it at one point and it became too much admin for them that they gave up
Well, US citizens (along with all non-EU non-Swiss citizens) required visas to visit France from about 1986 to about 1991 or so (I don't remember the exact dates, but it was that period — in the pre-Schengen days, of course).

I'm not saying that it will happen, I'm am merely saying that it could, and the US scheme, and the Australian ETA (now well established), might be early examples of the way that these things go in other jurisdictions as well.
Yeah I already referenced the France situation

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:41 pm

eliasuk4u wrote:
no one is going to impose any restrictions on the USA because we are a good source of income for the travel industry around the world.

Not anymore.. Dollar is going down for good few months against Euro. Wake up my friend! and soon EU will follow US on the same registration restrictions. For eg. fingerscans introduced by US is now followed by Britain and almost all EU countries, Japan etc. So be ready.
Typical......! Why not? So only American needs to protect themselves from the threat and Europe should be open door for threats from US and other countries with out any registation schemes?
you don't understand what the truth is with your faulty reasoning.
Again typical of Uncle SAM who always believe and expect others to believe in what they believe is right.
The dollar being weak has nothing to do with income from tourism from America, It may be more expensive for us but in any case we still provide great income for the tourism industry all over the world. So that basis is not a winner.
It is not a two way street because immigration trends make the USA a popular destination and we had the incident of 9/11 so unless everyone else had planes crashing into their financial center's building, then it is not a two street. Thus again, your distate for it not being a two way street is not a winner. Sorry.
And Europe can do whatever it wants, whether it wants other people to register or not . And again as I said to you before Americans wouldn't care. The only person it seem to bother is you. And it is not our problem that it bothers you.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:01 pm

we had the incident of 9/11 so unless everyone else had planes crashing into their financial center's building, then it is not a two street.
For your information 9/11 got nothing to do with Europe or non visa nationals. I understand if the restrictions are imposed on the nationals of the countries responsible for such attacks but Europeans???? Come on... get a life. Again Europe had similar small scale attacks so why can't we embrace ourselves by imposing similar restructions on non visa nationals such as Americans??? Sorry mate that doesn't justify the registration scheme.
Europe can do whatever it wants, whether it wants other people to register or not . And again as I said to you before Americans wouldn't care
We don't know that yet..
The only person it seem to bother is you. And it is not our problem that it bothers you.
Would you be happy for a third country to hold your details for 15YEARS???