ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Koolboy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Koolboy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Thank you for your e-mail.

All UK applicants have to send their Foreign Birth Registration applications to the Embassy of Ireland in London.

Kind regards

xxxxxxx

Consular Directorate

this is the reply which I received via Web enquiry

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Koolboy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:25 pm

All UK applicants have to send their Foreign Birth Registration applications to the Embassy of Ireland in London.

Kind regards

xxxxxxx

Consular Directorate

Kindly refrain from posting the full names of official staff on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:26 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 pm
Koolboy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Kind regards

xxxxxxx

Consular Directorate

Kindly refrain from posting the full names of official staff on the forum.
I do not know if this is permissible or not. I have started a spreadsheet of wait times for the FBR, if anyone is interested in seeing the info, I would be happy to share it. I can not post it here, if allowed I could send it via email to any interested person. I know exchanging personal info is not allowed in posts, is it acceptable to do via private message?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:01 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:53 am
Passport update:
I just got a message from Fedex, informing me that a package will be delivered tomorrow that requires a signature. It was sent from San Francisco, which is the location of the consulate to which I sent my application. Since I don't normally get such deliveries, and the fact that the passport status portal says it was dispatched last week, I think it's safe to assume it is my Irish passport.

This answers a question I posed recently. I was wondering if the passport is sent directly from Dublin when issued, or if it was returned via the embassy/consulate where the application was originally sent. Anyway, here is my timeline:

Application received by consulate: 22-August 2018

Status from passport tracking portal:
  • Application received in Dublin: 08-October 2018
  • Estimated issue date: 12-November 2018
  • Passport printed: 22-October 2018
  • Passport dispatched: 22-October 2018 (returned to San Francisco consulate)
Passport received: 01-November 2018

So, roughly 10 1/2 weeks from mailing of application to receipt. At least that's better than the 12-16 weeks the consulate said it might take.
Tom, Did they keep your FBR Cert during the passport application process? My FBR should be appoved shortly and Im planning on a visit into Boston to hand deliver the passport application.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:28 am

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Tom, Did they keep your FBR Cert during the passport application process?
Yes. They kept all the documents associated with my passport application and returned them with my Irish passport.

shoileygal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by shoileygal » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:52 am

hello folks:

I have recently received my Irish Passport and was lucky enough to do this by documenting my father's birth in Ireland. When I first started the process, I wasn't sure I could obtain a document proving that he had changed his name, and for this reason, I thought I was going to have to apply for the FR first. In fact, I completed the online application and the fee was charged to my card. In the meantime, I waited for the documents to be returned from my passport application and now I am ready to send them off for the FR Certificate. I have read that it is two separate departments and one doesn't really impact the other. I would just skip the registry, but have already spent so much time collecting my grandfather's certificates and already paid the fee, so I am figuring it couldn't hurt.

Are there any US citizens that sent the FR application directly to Dublin? I can't find mailing instructions anywhere.

And, has anyone else out there gotten their passport first and is doing this "backwards" as I have?

It's an exciting day when that passport arrives!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:34 am

shoileygal wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:52 am
hello folks:

I have recently received my Irish Passport and was lucky enough to do this by documenting my father's birth in Ireland. When I first started the process, I wasn't sure I could obtain a document proving that he had changed his name, and for this reason, I thought I was going to have to apply for the FR first. In fact, I completed the online application and the fee was charged to my card. In the meantime, I waited for the documents to be returned from my passport application and now I am ready to send them off for the FR Certificate. I have read that it is two separate departments and one doesn't really impact the other. I would just skip the registry, but have already spent so much time collecting my grandfather's certificates and already paid the fee, so I am figuring it couldn't hurt.

Are there any US citizens that sent the FR application directly to Dublin? I can't find mailing instructions anywhere.

And, has anyone else out there gotten their passport first and is doing this "backwards" as I have?

It's an exciting day when that passport arrives!
All US citizens are required to send applications and supporting documents directly to Dublin.

Tom, ok thanks.

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:21 pm

Hey shoileygal

You don’t need to continue with the FBR process if you already have an Irish passport as you are already an Irish citizen. If I were you I’d contact the DFA and explain your situation to see if you can get your money back!

Kellie18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kellie18 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi everyone,

So I sent my application off on 15th May 2018 applying through my grandmother with all the documents required. I got an email in october saying that i needed to get my passport copy verified and I did this and sent it back on 13th October. I haven't heard anything since. So its been about 7 months now in total since i applied, just wondering if anyone else is in a similar position?
I'm hoping to hear something soon! It feels like its been forever ha ha!
Thanks,
Kellie

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:19 pm

brawn401 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:21 pm
Hey shoileygal

You don’t need to continue with the FBR process if you already have an Irish passport as you are already an Irish citizen. If I were you I’d contact the DFA and explain your situation to see if you can get your money back!
Brawn,

Any news? Updates?

So far...

134 days
or 19 weeks & 1 days
or 4 months & 12 days

Hoping to hear soon!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Kellie18 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 pm
Hi everyone,

So I sent my application off on 15th May 2018 applying through my grandmother with all the documents required. I got an email in october saying that i needed to get my passport copy verified and I did this and sent it back on 13th October. I haven't heard anything since. So its been about 7 months now in total since i applied, just wondering if anyone else is in a similar position?
Thanks,
Kellie

Kellie, where are you located?

Kellie18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kellie18 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:21 pm
Kellie18 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 pm
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Kellie

Kellie, where are you located?
I'm in the UK.

DCTH
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by DCTH » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm

My sister and I have just received our Irish passports (UK born to Irish parent). Our grown up children - 5 of them want to join the Foreign Birth register.

Does anyone know if:
  • It will be quicker as they have just proved our entitlement?
  • Will they be able to cope with 5 related applications?
  • Is it a good idea to get a set of copy birth certificates for them?
The list of approved witnesses is much shorter than the passport one - Lawyer, Commissioner for Oaths, Police Officer, Magistrate, Judge. How does an ordinary person have one of these people know you personally?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 pm

DCTH wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm
My sister and I have just received our Irish passports (UK born to Irish parent). Our grown up children - 5 of them want to join the Foreign Birth register.

Does anyone know if:
  • It will be quicker as they have just proved our entitlement?
  • Will they be able to cope with 5 related applications?
  • Is it a good idea to get a set of copy birth certificates for them?
The list of approved witnesses is much shorter than the passport one - Lawyer, Commissioner for Oaths, Police Officer, Magistrate, Judge. How does an ordinary person have one of these people know you personally?
5 applicants will not be a problem for them. Here is a list of the required documents you will need to submit for the grandchild of a GRANDPARENT BORN IN IRELAND

Documents you must submit with your application:

Your documents:
•Original (long form) civil Birth Certificate, which shows parents’ details
•Original civil Marriage Certificate, if applicable - church certificates cannot be accepted
•Certified/Notarised copy of the photograph page of current passport or state issued identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence)
•Three separate documents showing proof of residence e.g. utility bill, bank correspondence, government correspondence.
•If applying on behalf of an applicant under 18 years – proof of residence of applicant and three separate documents showing proof of residence of applying parent or guardian, e.g. utility bill, bank correspondence, government correspondence.
•Your parent’s documents (through whom you’re claiming citizenship)
•Original civil Marriage Certificate, if applicable - church certificates cannot be accepted
•Certified/Notarised copy of the photograph page of current passport or state issued identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence) original Death Certificate if deceased

Your Irish-born grandparent’s details:
•Certified/Notarised copy of the photograph page of current passport or state issued identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence) original Death Certificate if deceased

Translating your documents

Please submit certified translations of any of the documents listed above if the originals are in a language other than English or Irish.

Original documentation

Original documents must be submitted in all cases. Laminated documents are not accepted, except for naturalisation certificates. Original copies or Irish civil records can be obtained on www.certificates.ie.

We may ask you to submit more documents to support your application.

Checklist

When you submit and print your online application form, a checklist of the documents you need will also print out. You need to:
•Make sure that you have paid online
•Make sure you’ve included all the documents required plus one photocopy of each document on the checklist with your application

Remember…

If you haven’t included all the requested documents, your application cannot be processed and will be returned to you.

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 am

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:19 pm

Brawn,

Any news? Updates?
Hey michael

Nothing yet. I’m at my 6 monthiversary today :-) my application was confirmed as received on the 2nd July.

My application was forwarded for approval on the 9th November so I imagine any day now I should hear something.

Good luck!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:01 am

Im with ya, its kinda getting old.

Here are some things I discovered...

This is all based on US applicatants for 2018. Weekends and holidays are included in the days counted.

The shortest wait for the email is 70 days and that application was received in dublin in January.

The longest was 144 days, the application was received in dublin in April.

The two other applications that were received in Aug are 130 and 138 days. (I am at 134 days)

Of the 18 approved applications in 2018, 8 did not get the email.

Not one person that I have recorded has recieved an email on a friday.

Food for thought.

StephenF
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by StephenF » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Here are my timelines if it is of interest to others
Completed Online Application 18th July
Sent my Hard copy and certificates 19th July
Email from embassy confirming receipt on 20th July
Request for certified copy of Driving licence photocard/ Passport on 8th Nov
Sent certified copy of Driving licence photocard 9th Nov
Email acknowledging receipt 14th Nov and advised that my application had been sent for approval.

Still waiting for the email or the documents back in the post and this last bit is the worst as you know you are close but are still in limbo. :)
Hoping that I hear soon I already have my passport form filled in and waiting to be witnessed which I will do when the FBR certificate arrives.

james_mcfc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by james_mcfc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 pm

So I just rang up Dublin and have found out that I am now officially an Irish citizen! :D

From the information I learned I have the following timeline:

Application submitted online: 17/07/2018
Acknowledgement of docs received: 25/07/2018
Reply received from DFA to my email advising application forwarded for approval: 16/11/2018
Entered into FBR: 27/11/18.

Still awaiting the return of my documents along with the certificate but hopefully that won't be too long in the pipeline now. Will update when I do get them!

Kellie18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kellie18 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm

james_mcfc wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 pm
So I just rang up Dublin and have found out that I am now officially an Irish citizen! :D

From the information I learned I have the following timeline:

Application submitted online: 17/07/2018
Acknowledgement of docs received: 25/07/2018
Reply received from DFA to my email advising application forwarded for approval: 16/11/2018
Entered into FBR: 27/11/18.

Still awaiting the return of my documents along with the certificate but hopefully that won't be too long in the pipeline now. Will update when I do get them!

Hey,
Just wondering how did you contact them? I sent my documents off mid May and I havent heard anything. I think i might ring too just to check.

james_mcfc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by james_mcfc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Kellie18 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm
Hey,
Just wondering how did you contact them? I sent my documents off mid May and I havent heard anything. I think i might ring too just to check.
I rang the FBR office directly. The number's +353 1408 2555.

Kellie18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kellie18 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:06 pm

james_mcfc wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm
Kellie18 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm
Hey,
I rang the FBR office directly. The number's +353 1408 2555.
Thanks, Ill try on monday!

brusseleir
Newly Registered
Mood:
Belgium

Post by brusseleir » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi, First post... I have looked through this thread and searched but so much info that I may have overlooked what I need to know..!

We're currently collecting the final documentation for my wife's FBR application. She's resident in Germany and applying based on Irish grandparents / parent born in the UK to Irish parents.

Different DFA sources seem to list different requirements for the passport certification: in some cases:

"Certified/Notarised copy of the photograph page of current passport"

in others:
"Copy of current EU Passport / Copy of Non EU Passport certified by the relevant Embassy"

The DFA simply told us to look at the checklist - which doesn't help as it's inconsistent. They're slow (3 weeks so far) to reply to a request for clarification.

So what I'm wondering is whether we'll be ok having the passport certified by a local notary, or whether we'll need to travel to the Embassy in Berlin, or in her parent's case, the Embassy several hours flight away...

Wondered if anyone had experience of this? Thanks!

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi brusseleir

Have a look here under the "Witnessing your application" section - https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/german ... ion-guide/

Its the link to the FBR process from the German Embassy. Doesn't look like you need to go there, rather just get one of the following to notarise the passport and application (once filled out)

Police Officer (including Station Stamp if available)
Members of the Clergy (We define a member of the Clergy as a person who can officiate at Ceremonies e.g. Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals etc.)
Medical Doctor
Solicitor
Bank Manager/Building Society Manager
School Principal/Head Teacher
Head of Department at University/College
Magistrate/Judge

brusseleir
Newly Registered
Mood:
Belgium

Post by brusseleir » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks.

Indeed I found that information with regard to the witness. But the section above - Supporting Documents gives these details:

Applicant: Copy of current EU Passport / Copy of Non EU Passport certified by the relevant Embassy

Parent: Copy of current EU Passport / Certified Copy of Non EU Passport certified by the relevant Embassy

I'm ignoring that the punctuation, especially for the parent, could even suggest that only a non-EU passport requires certification... :?

When I contacted the DFA, they told me to use the checklist at the end of the application form (a bit disingenuous as you're supposed to have all paperwork by this point..) In any case I completed the application with dummy info without submitting - the final checklist stated:

Documents relating to the Applicant
Certified/Notarized copy of the photograph page of current passport or state issued identity
document (e.g. Driver's Licence)

Documents relating to the Parent
Certified/Notarized copy of the photograph page of current passport or state issued
identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence)

So it does indeed sound like we'd be OK with a notary / certification by one of those people, but as the DFA provides conflicting information it's not 100%

Forestier
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Forestier » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi,
I hope this is the correct place for my question!
My wife has an Irish born grandmother and my wife wishes to apply for entry to the foreign birth registry.
We have details from her grandmother’s arrival in England as a 17 year old from County Wexford.
She appears on 1891 / 1901 & 1911 English Census returns where she is declared as “Born in Ireland - County Wexford”
I have her 1897 English Wedding Certificate.
I have her English Death Certificate.
Now the problem.
After a couple of weeks of searching on all the available online databases, I cannot find her birth registration or baptism details.
So, we are at an impasse which is so frustrating!
Does any board member know of a good geneaologist in Ireland who could help?
Ideally he/she would live in or near County Wexford.
Hoping someone can help and good luck to all who are currently applying.
Thanks
Ian