ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First UK Adult Passport Application from abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gir130
Newly Registered
Indonesia

First UK Adult Passport Application from abroad

Post by gir130 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:41 am

Hi All,

I'm going to start a new job in one of EU country right after submitting the application for naturalisation by the end of Jan 19. My family will stay in the UK and maintain the home address whilst I'm abroad. I'm planning to return to UK for citizenship ceremony whenever that is scheduled and immediately return to work and travel with my current passport. The BRP card will be returned within 5 days of me receiving the citizenship certificate.

My question is can I apply for my first UK passport from abroad since I can't stay in the UK for 6 weeks for the passport to be issued if I apply from UK? Is there some kind of "super premium service" for first passport so I can get it in 1 week instead of 6 weeks?

secret.simon

Re: First UK Adult Passport Application from abroad

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:43 am

I would advise against your plan. When you apply for British citizenship, you are also stating your "future intention" to reside in the UK. If you were to immediately leave the country, that could cast doubt on your "future intentions" and complicate your immigration status in the UK.

Also see these two threads. They were eventually resolved, but did cause issues in the short term.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no express service for a first adult British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

gir130
Newly Registered
Indonesia

Post by gir130 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks for your feedback.

My understanding is that I can still travel between the submission date and ceremony, and then just stay in the UK during the waiting period between ceremony and passport being issued.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:03 pm

gir130 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:56 am
I can still travel between the submission date and ceremony
That should be fine.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

gir130
Newly Registered
Indonesia

Post by gir130 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi,

Consider this scenario; on my return to UK to attend ceremony & immediately apply for passport, I would then return to work whilst the passport is being processed. Once it is issued it will be sent to my UK home address and someone at home can send it to me abroad by post.

Now my question becomes can I leave the UK with my current passport and return to UK with British passport?

Thanks again.

Hioru
United Kingdom

Post by Hioru » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 am

They don't check documents when you leave the UK (unless that got changed?).
Obviously, if you arrive into the UK with a British passport, well, that is what is expected from a British citizen.

I would though consider other factors such as a possibility of them asking for you to attend an interview before they issue you with a passport.