ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for EU family member (Self Sufficient)

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abimfol
Mood:
Nigeria

Applying for EU family member (Self Sufficient)

Post by abimfol » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:25 pm

I am a foreign student living in Germany. I recently got married my EU partner. I am not sure if this question has been answered or not but i would appreciate if anyone can help me here.

My question is how much of money do we need to have in the account when applying for a EU family member residence card? is my own income considered or just the money in the account of my wife?

Also can any one recommend any private health insurance that will be accepted by the authority from my EU wife when we are making this application?

Any other useful information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Applying for EU family member (Self Sufficient)

Post by Caravel88 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Is she also a student? How long has she been there (in Germany)?
Why doesn't she have insurance?

All income / financial possessions are combined. You are a "family" now.

If she is not a student easiest thing for you is for one of you to get a job ASAP and use the job contract AND the insurance that comes with the job.
abimfol wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:25 pm
I am a foreign student living in Germany. I recently got married my EU partner. I am not sure if this question has been answered or not but i would appreciate if anyone can help me here.

My question is how much of money do we need to have in the account when applying for a EU family member residence card? is my own income considered or just the money in the account of my wife?

Also can any one recommend any private health insurance that will be accepted by the authority from my EU wife when we are making this application?

Thanks

abimfol
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by abimfol » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Thanks very much Caravel88. At the moment she's living in Romania but we try visit each other every now and then and thanks to technology. I did my bachelors in Romania and i left to come pursue masters program here in Germany but i am about to finish my masters ( in my last semester but my student residence card still runs till June 2019) and we have decided to both stay here in Germany. So this explains where she doesn't have an insurance for now.

It is nice to know that but income will be considered i am confident I can get a job to get us going for a start and with some saving she has as well which is currently about 6000 Euros.

One more thing i need is the clarification of the insurance because i read somewhere online that using health insurance from the state doesn't qualify you as self sufficient (although this was a post from the uk section and i somewhat believe same should apply since its EU law) so even if i got a job and my insurance would cover her i am not sure she can can exercise her treaty right as self sufficient. Am i wrong about this?
Caravel88 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm

If she is not a student easiest thing for you is for one of you to get a job ASAP and use the job contract AND the insurance that comes with the job.
abimfol wrote:

Thanks

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:34 pm

Thank you for providing this information.
Now I have a much better understanding of your situation.

Just to be sure I'd like to clarify a few things for you:

When you spouse comes to Germany, she has unconditional right to stay for 90 days.
During this time, you can "register" as the spouse without anything.
But since you already have a permit, and some authorities are just difficult to deal with, they might refuse you.

Then you have a few other options:
- Register as self sufficient (for people who got NO job but some money)
- Register as job seeker
- Register as student

The easiest thing, honestly, is for one of you to get a job.
With the job you will get health insurance and the salary will be accepted for both.

If you do not want to get a job, 6000 is unlikely to be considered enough for "self sufficiency". And private health insurance will cost you a lot (I think it's around 300 euros per month).

Self sufficiency has nothing to do with health insurance.
One way or the other you need health insurance to "register" in Germany.

Also if you are going to live in Germany long term, you want a "public" health insurance.
In long term it is much better economically from everything I read here and elsewhere AND it's difficult to switch from public to private insurance later on.

So honestly just do your best to get a job.
It might be you or your spouse who gets it.
Get a job, any job, a legal job, with a contract.

Your job contract + the insurance that comes with the job will give you all the paperwork you need to register and get your 5 year living permit (Aufenthaltskarte)

Also when you get a job and insurance, your spouse will be covered as well.
abimfol wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 pm
Thanks very much Caravel88. At the moment she's living in Romania but we try visit each other every now and then and thanks to technology. I did my bachelors in Romania and i left to come pursue masters program here in Germany but i am about to finish my masters ( in my last semester but my student residence card still runs till June 2019) and we have decided to both stay here in Germany. So this explains where she doesn't have an insurance for now.

It is nice to know that but income will be considered i am confident I can get a job to get us going for a start and with some saving she has as well which is currently about 6000 Euros.

One more thing i need is the clarification of the insurance because i read somewhere online that using health insurance from the state doesn't qualify you as self sufficient (although this was a post from the uk section and i somewhat believe same should apply since its EU law) so even if i got a job and my insurance would cover her i am not sure she can can exercise her treaty right as self sufficient. Am i wrong about this?
Caravel88 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm

abimfol wrote:

Thanks