ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any life before 14 years overstay?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shami
Newly Registered

Any life before 14 years overstay?

Post by shami » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:42 am

For an overstayer who has been in the UK for 11 years, is there anyway to attempt to regularise his status ?

Thank you for your time.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:40 am

It depends on the situation.

If you are the spouse or civil partner of a UK citizen, someone with ILR/PR or a citizen of the EU/EEA, then it is possible to apply for entry clearance (generally from outside the UK/need to return home). There is a current 'consession' on overstayers if they apply for a visa after leaving the UK:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=24800

You can also apply for a visa if you are the parent of a UK or EU/EEA citizen. Again, from your home country.

Alternatively, if you are highly skilled, you can apply for entry clearance for the HSMP/Tier 1, or any other such visa (such as student visa), if you wish to work/study here. Obvisously the long overstay would be taken into consideration.

There may be other options, such as if you ever applied for asylum. But generally, the 11 years would only count towards the 14 year category and there is no way to reduce the time. In fact, if you apply too early your case may be rejected, meaning you lose £750 and come to the attention of the Home Office, or held for a very long time (5 years isn't unusual in these cases, for example).

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:12 pm

sakura wrote:It depends on the situation.

But generally, the 11 years would only count towards the 14 year category and there is no way to reduce the time.
Unless of course you have already had an application refused. Then the clock would have stopped on the 14 year rule from the time that you were refused, making this a no-go for you.
Oh, the drama...!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:27 pm

jei2 wrote:
sakura wrote:It depends on the situation.

But generally, the 11 years would only count towards the 14 year category and there is no way to reduce the time.
Unless of course you have already had an application refused. Then the clock would have stopped on the 14 year rule from the time that you were refused, making this a no-go for you.
...whether you knew about or not.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

shami
Newly Registered

Post by shami » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Alternatively, if you are highly skilled, you can apply for entry clearance for the HSMP/Tier 1, or any other such visa (such as student visa), if you wish to work/study here. Obvisously the long overstay would be taken into consideration.
I would like to hear more about this option. What if the overstayer is a software developer and looking to establish a business (online business network such as LinkedIn) - hosted and based in the UK ?

Thanks

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:54 pm

shami wrote:
I would like to hear more about this option. What if the overstayer is a software developer and looking to establish a business (online business network such as LinkedIn) - hosted and based in the UK ?

Thanks
Well there is little chance of the Home Office granting you entry clearance from within the UK, so you would have to take the risk and leave the country, thereby resetting your 14-year ILR clock (as it can be argued that your stay here was not 'continuous' once you left the country) and apply for the visa from your home country.

Obviously if it is refused, there is little chance of redress and you would have no way of returning to the UK.

If, on the other hand, you are successful then you would begin a new 5 year period under the HSMP/Tier 1 category.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 pm

11 years is a long time to have overstayed without the spectre of the significantly contrived clause hanging over one's head. Aggravating factors such as absconding or sham marriages would have a negative effect

Any background info on how the overstaying accumulated?
Oh, the drama...!

shami
Newly Registered

Post by shami » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:09 am

Any background info on how the overstaying accumulated?
I came to the UK on student visa then went to university (short course - not a degree) while I was overstaying. Since i had nothing to go back to, i was trapped into a life of misery.

My friends who knew what the Home Office want them to do, they fabricated marriages and sorted their cases years ago. I could do the same but i thought the Home Office will appreciate that I didn't do anything wrong apart from overstaying and they might regularise my status - some day

I knew this is a hopeless case, especially in these days of gloom and doom.

Thank you for time, anyway