ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 dependent extension or FLR(M) for doctor

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Docp
Newly Registered
India

Tier 2 dependent extension or FLR(M) for doctor

Post by Docp » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been granted ILR via Tier 2 5-year route. My wife came in July 2014 and her visa is due for an extension in Feb 2019. I am aware that the best option for her is to apply for a Tier 2 dependent 'extension' and then apply for ILR in July when she would complete her 5 years. However, she works as a doctor in the NHS (non-training) and wishes to apply for a training post, which are likely to come up in the next two months. I understand that her extension visa is likely to have the same restriction as her current dependent visa which prohibits her to work as a doctor in training. This leaves her with the next option which is FLR(M) which if we understand correctly would remove her training restriction.

My question is that apart from resetting the clock and having to apply twice during the next 5 years, are there any other drawbacks for the FLR(M) route?
Or would it better for her to apply for ILR this July and wait until the next round of training posts vacancies (as and when they come)?
Has anyone else had any similar or related experience?
We would be really grateful for any thoughts.

Ps Apologies if i should i have added this under a different forum

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 dependent extension or FLR(M) for doctor

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 am

FLR(M) will reset her clock yes but no other restrictions on this route.

There is a financial and English requirement that has to be met for each stage of the process including ILR.

What is the date your spouse dependent visa was issued in 2014??

Seems a shame to change categories when your spouse has 6 months to go for ILR and would be free of any restrictions.

Note also that IHS fees have doubled and are now £400 per year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Docp
Newly Registered
India

Post by Docp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks CR001. Much appreciate.

Her visa was issued on July 5. It would be a shame if her ILR clock resets which is why we are torn between the two options. Thanks for letting me know about the IHS charge. I suppose that would be £1000 on top of the fees (2.5 y?) for the FLR(M).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am

Your spouse can apply for ILR no sooner than within 28 days before the 5th anniversary of the visa issue date, so sometime in the first half of June.

Yes, FLR(M) is currently £1033 postal plus £1000 IHS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Docp
Newly Registered
India

Post by Docp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks. Sorry one more follow up Q.

I note that the processing time for FLR(M) is 8 weeks. My wife's current visa expires on 21 Feb. Would applying via post be still okay?

Docp
Newly Registered
India

Post by Docp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 am

Docp wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:22 am
Thanks. Sorry one more follow up Q.

I note that the processing time for FLR(M) is 8 weeks. My wife's current visa expires on 21 Feb. Would applying via post be still okay?
PS As she would have to clear her English exam, she would have to wait for another week or so before she can apply via post

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am

If applying by post and not one of the new services, an applicants existing visa conditions continue even if the current visa expires, until a decision is made by HO on the new application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Docp
Newly Registered
India

Post by Docp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 am

Great. Thank you

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Consider extending her PBS dependant leave and apply for a training job after she gets ILR? With the Brexit chaos, there are likely to be more job opportunities ahead for ILR holders.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

umedashtiani
Newly Registered
India

Post by umedashtiani » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi I am in a similar situation. My wife is on Tier2 Dependent Visa withe the NO DOCTOR DEN IN TRAINING, what visa route did you eventually go for.
The guidance is a bit confusing, and I almost thought PBS extension with evidence of offer of training from NHS deanery would be sufficient. Any info will be greatly appreciated..

I also paid an immigration advisor and he suggested to go for FLR M, as I am on ILR..