ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ECS - Home Office Reference

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

thesiupao
Newly Registered
Malaysia

ECS - Home Office Reference

Post by thesiupao » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 am

Hi all,

I have ILR (since 1994) but no BRP. I have recently applied for British Citizenship using the new online service, but have yet to submit my biometric data nor supporting documents. After paying online I received an email confirming payment and a reference number starting with “UKVI_”.

A prospective employer is asking for proof of Right to Work in the UK and will use the ECS. I do have the right to work in the UK (with my ILR) but proving this is another matter according to the employers checklist, where I require a BRP or another form of proof.

My question are thus:

1) is my British Citizenship application now on the HO system and ‘in progress’ or is it considered ‘in progress’ after submitting my biometric data and supporting evidence?
2) if my application is now on the HO system and ‘in progress’, will the reference number starting “UKVI_” give enough information to the HO to find my ILR status for the ECS check?

The prospective company is keen to hire me but understandably need to check my status. I am eager to supply the “UKVI_” reference as the potential job offer will not last forever..Apologies if this has been asked before but I have searched and found nothing yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: ECS - Home Office Reference

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Can't really comment on your questions - have you seen this link? Note that naturalisation is not an immigration application.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/onli ... ork-checks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

thesiupao
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by thesiupao » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi alterhase,

Thanks for your reply and for the link. I didn't realise this, what is it considered if not an immigration application?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:29 pm

thesiupao wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 pm
Hi alterhase,

Thanks for your reply and for the link. I didn't realise this, what is it considered if not an immigration application?

Thanks.
It is an application for citizenship which falls under the UK Nationality Laws and not the Immigration Rules.

For proof of work now, you need a BRP card if your ILR is in a previous passport. ILR fall under the Immigration Rules. Your prospective employer could potentially still check your right to work with HO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

thesiupao
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by thesiupao » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi CR001, thanks for your reply. I called up the UKVI Citizenship & Nationality Enquiries line and explained the situation and they said it would be OK to obtain citizenship in lieu of BRP card.

I suspect that means an ECS check will return:
- validation of my ILR to work here
- proof of my application for British Citizenship.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50 pm

A brp card is not mandatory for citizenship.

HO changed the rules a few years ago that brp cards are required for work and renting properties etc. Otherwise vendors could face huge fines.

Ecs will return about your ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

thesiupao
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by thesiupao » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:54 pm

I see, that's good to know then at least it will be proven and I can get a job offer (fingers crossed). I hope the ECS service doesn't mess up like how I've read on a few posts here.

According to the Employers Checklist, I require a BRP for work as you mentioned (as my ILR is not acceptable from an employers point of view), but that falls under category B. I think my citizenship application will be a category A document.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Not your citizenship application. Cat a would refer to your naturalisation certificate as that is proof you are British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

thesiupao
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by thesiupao » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Sorry yes, poorly worded! Understood, thanks for your replies.