ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6-month validity rule on passport?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IM314
Newly Registered

6-month validity rule on passport?

Post by IM314 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm a South African citizen with ILR, living in the UK, and my South African passport expires in August. I have applied for a new passport due to arrive middle Feb, but have been asked by my employer to attend a conference in South Africa early in March. There is a very good chance (given the state of the South African Home Affairs dept.) that my new passport won't arrive in time to use for that trip.

My question is simply this: Will I be allowed back into the UK with my ILR and a South African passport with 5 months of validity left, given that I live here permanently, with a house and full-time employment? (And proof that I have applied for a new passport?) I'm getting very mixed advice from others, so hoping to hear from someone on here who has either done it (recently) or can point me to an authoritative source to confirm.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 6-month validity rule on passport?

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:06 pm

No issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

IM314
Newly Registered

Post by IM314 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Thank you. Do you say this because you've done this yourself?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:50 pm

You hold ILR and have a valid passport, it is not an issue to reenter the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.