ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How can one get a Domestic Worker Visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Xzibit1

How can one get a Domestic Worker Visa?

Post by Xzibit1 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Hello,
I have a friend from Zambia who has been working in the UK since 2006 and recently got a set of twins. He wants to bring in a domestic worker he used to employ in Zambia, prior to his coming to UK in 2006. I have read the rules on domestic workers and says that you need to have employed that person in the preceding year prior to the visa application...

1. As my friend has been in UK since 2006, is there a chance he can still apply for a domstic visa and be successful?

2. In Zambia Domestic Workers are not given contracts and usually live with the family in question . How can my friend prove to ECO that he used to employ the domestic worker in 2006?

3. In order to meet the one year domestic worker employment period, can my friend take his spouse back to Zambia so that she stays with the Doemstic worker for a while, then apply for a visa for the domestic worker?

Your opinions would be helpful.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello

Congratulations to your friend!

I do not know a way round the rules. I thought that a domestic worker had to be working for the past year as a part of the household. I could be wrong about this.

Please remember that the domestic worker will have to be paid the National Minimum Wage of £5.52 an hour. The maximum by law that can be taken off the wages for accommodation is £30.10 or so a week, and NOTHING additional can be deducted for bills or food. Also the employer will have to arrange to pay the worker's National Insurance and the employer's National Insurance contributions.

If the employer isn't going to this at the minimum, then they will be breaking the law.

The domestic worker will also be entitled to 24 days or 4.8 weeks a year annual leave, and this too is due to rise.

I hope you friend has £12k + spare a year if the worker is going to do a 40 hour week.

Regards

PP