ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Born child , Apply first British Passport from india

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

I_luv_IMMBOARD
Newly Registered
India

British Born child , Apply first British Passport from india

Post by I_luv_IMMBOARD » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:51 pm

scenario :
child born : UK , 2016
child moved to India: may, 2017
father got ILR: December 2018
applied certificate of British citizen (MN1) : December 2018

Please share ur experience, if u have similar ( child born uk, apply British passport from overseas)

I need helpful information for , apply child first British passport from overseas.

secret.simon

Re: British Born child , Apply first British Passport from india

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:57 am

Not speaking from personal experience, but observations on these forums.

Applying for a child's first British passport (not the MN1 process, but after) in South Asia can take between six months to a year.

As the child will be registered as a British citizen, s/he will automatically lose his Indian citizenship (and consequently right to an Indian passport) from the date of his registration certificate. Therefore s/he will not be eligible for a CoE-RoA in an Indian passport, which could have taken between six and sixteen weeks.

I would suggest that the child return to the UK as an Indian citizen on the appropriate visa before he is registered as a British citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

I_luv_IMMBOARD
Newly Registered
India

Post by I_luv_IMMBOARD » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:31 am

thank you simon.

The amended Indian law says, Indian child can keep dual citizenship until their 18 years old.

https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/Ap ... ect/search

Official gov of India link.
Page 22 section 5 of passport manual. It clearly states dual citizenship allowed for minors.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:38 am

I_luv_IMMBOARD wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:31 am
thank you simon.

The amended Indian law says, Indian child can keep dual citizenship until their 18 years old.

https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/Ap ... ect/search

Official gov of India link.
Page 22 section 5 of passport manual. It clearly states dual citizenship allowed for minors.

Thank you
Are you expecting forum members to figure out which link or document you are referring to by saying "page 22 Section 5" without posting the actual document link??? We are not all from south east Asia.

However, also note that by registering your child, you have made a willful act of obtaining another nationality. Children under 18 can hold hold dual nationality only IF they are born to an Indian parent and a parent who holds another nationality. A formal act of registration or naturalisation as AN Other Citizenship is not included as far as I understand.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Indianspouse
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Indianspouse » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello,
Just if it helps, I am sharing my experience. We just got our 4 months old son’s first British passport in India. It took about 8 weeks. Our son is born in India. I am an Indian citizen and my husband is British citizen. We are STILL required to surrender our son’s Indian passport. Indian immigration authorities have asked us to do this as early as possible and apply for our son’s visa at FRRO. So an Indian child cannot hold both passports REGARDLESS of what Indian policy says and regardless of how the child got the other nationality. This was the advice given to us by a senior ranking immigration officer of India.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Indianspouse wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:29 pm
We just got our 4 months old son’s first British passport in India.
A child born with dual foreign/Indian nationalities can retain both nationalities till the age of 18, provided they do not acquire a non-Indian passport.

For dual Indian/British citizens, such a scenario occurs only if the child is born to
a) An Indian citizen holding ILR and the child is born in the UK.
b) one British citizen and one Indian citizen parent and the child is born in India.

However, if such a dual-citizen-by-birth child were to apply for a non-Indian passport, s/he would lose their Indian citizenship before the age of 18.

The solution to that would be to get the Indian passport and then apply for a CoE-RoA in that Indian passport. That would allow the child to retain both citizenships till the age of 18. It is an expensive option, the cost of a CoE-RoA being four times as high as a British passport and needing to be reapplied for with every change of the Indian passport (which for children is every 5 years).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Indianspouse
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Indianspouse » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:26 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 pm
Indianspouse wrote:
We just got our 4 months old son’s first British passport in India.
A child born with dual foreign/Indian nationalities can retain both nationalities till the age of 18, provided they do not acquire a non-Indian passport.

For dual Indian/British citizens, such a scenario occurs only if the child is born to
a) An Indian citizen holding ILR and the child is born in the UK.
b) one British citizen and one Indian citizen parent and the child is born in India.

However, if such a dual-citizen-by-birth child were to apply for a non-Indian passport, s/he would lose their Indian citizenship before the age of 18.

The solution to that would be to get the Indian passport and then apply for a CoE-RoA in that Indian passport. That would allow the child to retain both citizenships till the age of 18. It is an expensive option, the cost of a CoE-RoA being four times as high as a British passport and needing to be reapplied for with every change of the Indian passport (which for children is every 5 years).
Hi Secret.simon,

I agree with Whatever you said. I would just like to add one thing though. In the above scenario you mentioned, Not everyone can choose to have an Indian Passport with ROA even if they wish to. We were initially stopped from applying the Indian passport. Think of British citizen spouses working in sensitive government jobs, Foreign police officers etc. Indian authorities would one way or another try to refuse their kids an Indian passport hence depriving them of holding dual citizenship despite the Indian law saying they can till the age of 18. These type of people(applicants) are in minority but they exist. I am one. We had a hard time getting an Indian passport for our son. British passport on the other hand was rather easy!

I_luv_IMMBOARD
Newly Registered
India

Post by I_luv_IMMBOARD » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Indianspouse wrote:
Hello,
Just if it helps, I am sharing my experience. We just got our 4 months old son’s first British passport in India. It took about 8 weeks. Our son is born in India. I am an Indian citizen and my husband is British citizen. We are STILL required to surrender our son’s Indian passport. Indian immigration authorities have asked us to do this as early as possible and apply for our son’s visa at FRRO. So an Indian child cannot hold both passports REGARDLESS of what Indian policy says and regardless of how the child got the other nationality. This was the advice given to us by a senior ranking immigration officer of India.
hi indian spouse,
your experience is really helpful for me.
Thank you

aabbcc112233
Newly Registered

Post by aabbcc112233 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 pm

Indianspouse wrote:
Hello,
Hi Indianspouse,
Can you please advise on what supporting documents you supplied or were asked to submit as i am in similar circumstances. I have bedn living in pakistan ,myself british national nd wife pakistani national and we need to apply passport for our 15 months old daughter born here in pakistan.
I will appreciate if you mention the whole process you went through and time scales aswell.

Regards

Indianspouse
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Indianspouse » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:34 am

aabbcc112233 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 pm
Indianspouse wrote:
Hello,
Hi Indianspouse,
Can you please advise on what supporting documents you supplied or were asked to submit as i am in similar circumstances. I have bedn living in pakistan ,myself british national nd wife pakistani national and we need to apply passport for our 15 months old daughter born here in pakistan.
I will appreciate if you mention the whole process you went through and time scales aswell.

Regards

Hi,

Child born- Sept, 2018 in india
Passport application submitted- Oct 24, 2018
Email received requesting additional documents- Nov 6, 2018
Additional documents submitted- Nov 11, 2018
Email received for interview- Dec 10, 2018
Interview attended- Dec 17, 2018
Passport Printed - Dec 20, 2018
SMS received about the DDGS parcel dispatch- Dec 21, 2018
2nd SMS from DDGS for another parcel- Dec 22, 2018
Call from VFS Jalandhar to collect parcels- Jan 2, 2019
Passport received- Jan 2, 2019

Supporting Documents for application:
* Child's birth certificate along with its translation from approved translator in the court
* Colored copy of father's british passport
* Father's Naturalisation certificate
* Colored copy of mother's indian passport (Both the current and the cancelled one)
* Mother's antenatal records
* Discharge summary from the delivery hospital
* Hospital Bills
* Marriage certificate
* Printout of the British nationality act which testifies the basis of claim of nationality.
* No. of photographs ranging from the wedding, honeymoon, trip to uk, pre pregnancy, delivery day, photograph with the doctor to child's various pictures from the birth day to till date of the application. Each photograph was dated along with its explanation and signed
* Father's British national insurance card and driving licence
* Mother's aadhar card
* Mother's Birth certificate (we didnt have the original one so got an affidavit done from the notary) Also, this was the document they asked for as additional document after the submission of the application
* Father's british military documents
*Father's criminal record check certificate (optional)
* Child Birth and medical records
*Affidavit for father not having an aadhar card

Please note that you need to get the color photocopy of each document. No original document to submit. VFS people will just certify each photocopy from the original document at the time of application submission except photographs.

I_luv_IMMBOARD
Newly Registered
India

Post by I_luv_IMMBOARD » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 am

Hi all. I am sharing my boys MN1 application history. He got a appointment coming march 7th at Chennai vfs for his first British passport.

Applied through NCS Grantham MN1 application: 17th dec 2018
Recived biometric enrolment email : 3rd Jan 2019
biometric enrolled @ Chennai INdia : 7th jan 2019 Chennai vfs
recived 'Certificate of nationality' at my home UK: 12th february 2019

gskall
India

Post by gskall » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:14 pm

I_luv_IMMBOARD wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 am
Hi all. I am sharing my boys MN1 application history. He got a appointment coming march 7th at Chennai vfs for his first British passport.

That’s good news..can you please share more details about this application.
Does your child has BRP before he left for India?
Who took care of him while in India.?
What documents were submitted for your child MN1 application.?
What about the referees?
We are also in the same situation...our kid born in jan-2017..he left for India in July-2017 without brp and living there with his grandparents since then. Now we got ilr and willing to apply for citizenship from India..so I believe your mn1 application experience will help us a lot..

I_luv_IMMBOARD
Newly Registered
India

Post by I_luv_IMMBOARD » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:53 am

[/quote]
That’s good news..can you please share more details about this application.
Does your child has BRP before he left for India?
Who took care of him while in India.?
What documents were submitted for your child MN1 application.?
What about the referees?
We are also in the same situation...our kid born in jan-2017..he left for India in July-2017 without brp and living there with his grandparents since then. Now we got ilr and willing to apply for citizenship from India..so I believe your mn1 application experience will help us a lot..
[/quote]

my child didn't have any BRP. Went to india without BRP.
I got both referees inside UK.
grand parents take care the kid in india.

list of documents
1. both parents passport and father ILR visa
2. driving licence for both parents
3. marriage certificate
4. child long and short birth certificate

gskall
India

Post by gskall » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:50 am

Thank you sir.

I think NCs are no longer accepting citizenship applications...so online application is the only choice right..
Did you do any affidavit mentioning kid was taken care by grandparents.?
Are Parents original passports returned immediately..
I think your application experience helps us a lot.. is it possible to contact us at email address removed by moderator

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:50 am

gskall wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:50 am
Thank you sir.

I think NCs are no longer accepting citizenship applications...so online application is the only choice right..
I think your application experience helps us a lot.. is it possible to contact us at email address removed by moderator

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
I suggest you read the forum rules about you are not permitted to post on the forum!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gskall
India

Post by gskall » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Apologies @CR001..
Is there anyway to contact other member in the forum or let them contact us?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:15 am

gskall wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:00 pm
Apologies @CR001..
Is there anyway to contact other member in the forum or let them contact us?
Start your own topic and post in public for members to offer advice!! Remember everyone here is a complete stranger and we have many scammers and spammers who visit the forum daily.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

I_luv_IMMBOARD
Newly Registered
India

Post by I_luv_IMMBOARD » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:50 am
gskall wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:50 am
Thank you sir.

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
I suggest you read the forum rules about you are not permitted to post on the forum!
I have applied by NCS option. So all my document with myself only. But this option not at the moment. For the postal or online option check the guidlines.

NO affidavit from my side.

gskall
India

Post by gskall » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:05 pm

What is the residential address of the child you mentioned on the form(India or UK?)
Did u include both parents details?(or only one who got ILR?)
Do you live in the United Kingdom or a British overseas territory? - Yes or No for this question?
How did you manage to get professional referee from UK when child is not living here?
whom do you mention as responsible adult in the form while enrolling biometrics?

mannanmcc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mannanmcc » Wed May 15, 2019 10:05 pm

Indianspouse wrote:
Hello,
Hi
You are definitely one of the lucky one. can you share your timeline please. We applied recently, just want to find out how your application move in various stage and how long they took.

Many thank in advance.

Indianspouse
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Indianspouse » Thu May 23, 2019 10:40 am

Hi,

The timeline has been shared with the entire process from applying to receiving the passport. ALSO what all documents did we provide at the time of application submission.

Thanks

mannanmcc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mannanmcc » Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 am

Hi Indianspouse, thanks a lot for your reply

Pooja551
Newly Registered
India

Post by Pooja551 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:38 pm

We are in the same situation that our baby is in india with his grandparents.would like to process the application from india,the only doubt i have is regarding biometrics.do we need to provide any supporting letter saying that my baby would be giving his biometrics in India.what should i give the postal address(india or uk).
Can anyone please help me with this.

prince15
Newly Registered
India

Post by prince15 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Indianspouse wrote:
Hello,
hi indian spouse
thanks for sharing your experience here
i want to ask you, i have to apply for by baby british passport from india
i want to ask which form you used to apply for the passport was it MN1 form or online passport application.
also is it possible if you know if i can apply for baby passport from uk. baby is born in india and mother is in india as well. i am back in uk, if i bring all documents with me to uk can i apply from here

thanks

gskall
India

Post by gskall » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 am

I_luv_IMMBOARD wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 am

Hi

Can you please share your experience on how did you apply for british passport from India after getting british citizenship certificate?
Do we need to surrender our child Indian passport immediately after getting Citizenship certificate? If yes, what visa should the child need to apply for to live in India until he receive british passport?
In our case child is residing with his grandparents and both parents are in UK.

Thanks in advance