ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Looks like proposed immigration changes will happen ...

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Richter

Looks like proposed immigration changes will happen ...

Post by Richter » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:40 am

Latest news on proposed changes to immigration:

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/435822

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Richter, i have a feeling this will not benefit those of us that applied before Feb 08, bcos the new law says those in queue will continue to be treated with the old rules, that means we will continue to be on the queue, while those who apply after , under the discretion of the immigration officer can be processed before anyone else.
Can you please clarufy this.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Richter

Post by Richter » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 pm

The way I see it, from info given out so far on the new proposals, is that those in the queue (pre 27 Feb 07) will not be subject to the new rules and processing will go on as before - every application will be processed.

My understanding is that those in the queue after that date may be processed or may have their application returned to them immediately if they do not meet the criteria (ie required job). But I have read that these people will not be processed until the backlog has been cleared. So, everyone in the 5-year queue will be processed before they reach the post Feb 07 applications.

I have also heard that resources could be put in place to speed up the 5-year queue. One comment I read was that they were trying to drastically reduce post Feb 07 applications so the queue doesn't continue to grow too much, then they are going to focus on the 5-year queue.

It's all speculation at the moment isn't it?

Richter

Post by Richter » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:29 pm

... sorry, meant Feb 08 of course.

It's interesting that CHC are saying they are currently processing Oct/Nov 05 applications, but they are actually well into Feb 06 applicaitons and they are issuing 60-day letters as well as 90-day letters. Things do appear to be speeding up, but I think they are trying to manage expectations,

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks for the explanation.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

meshell230
Newly Registered

Post by meshell230 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:01 am

It seems everyone keeps saying that the application process is taking upto 5 years but i have just sent off our forms and was told it would be a maximum of 18 months before they started to process them do you know how long this takes as the phone message said 3 to 6 months, do you know if this is true??
Many thanks

Richter

Post by Richter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:12 pm

When you get your AOR (acknowledgement of receipt) confirming they have your application and cheque it will tell you when they are likely to start processing your application. If you have applied for a skilled worker visa (with no job lined up) via London office it will most likely say 42-48 months. If you have applied for a work permit, family visa or other, times are different.