ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

compiling or compassionate grounds

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rimm
Newly Registered

compiling or compassionate grounds

Post by rimm » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:46 am

Hi all

What is compiling or compassionate grounds can anyone elobarate on this .

Thank You.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 am

hi rimm,

I assume you mean compelling or compassionate grounds.

In general terms this means grounds that create enough sympathy to obtain a grant of leave .

Compelling or compassionate grounds are usually needed for elderly dependent relatives or applications which fall outside the immigration or asylum rules.

Can you expand on the background?
Oh, the drama...!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:37 am

I take this as meaning imminent death, terminal illness, civil war, tsunami type things and not births, weddings or lonely parents.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 pm

Wanderer don't spoil it!!!

Now just go and find a happy place.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, the drama...!

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Actually Wanderer I think it might be possible to combine almost all the definitions you've listed in one scenario.

Wasn't there an HIV positive mother who gave birth in a tree during a flood in war torn Mozambique a few years back?

(Well maybe she wasn't sick but possibly quite fed up being stuck up a tree with contractions).
Oh, the drama...!

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:25 am

Are you my dear taking the mick out of the poor woman?

Someone told me she is here in the UK now.
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

rimm
Newly Registered

Post by rimm » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:04 pm

hi

It looks like asylum seeker case with compassionate ground.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:27 pm

Not necessarily, it could just as easily by someone, caught by the "no switching" rule, wanting to get say a spouse visa in the UK .... rather than returning to their own country to apply for it.

Wanderer, your list of possibilities ... you missed off active volcano! Clearly if the country is a small island state and the volcano is active .... that might well qualify as a good reason to get a visa in the UK rather than applying for it in the home country. Montserrat is a rather good example of this!
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:24 am

John wrote:Not necessarily, it could just as easily by someone, caught by the "no switching" rule, wanting to get say a spouse visa in the UK .... rather than returning to their own country to apply for it.

Wanderer, your list of possibilities ... you missed off active volcano! Clearly if the country is a small island state and the volcano is active .... that might well qualify as a good reason to get a visa in the UK rather than applying for it in the home country. Montserrat is a rather good example of this!
John, the active volcano is your trademark when this question comes up - I left it for you!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:25 am

John wrote:Not necessarily, it could just as easily by someone, caught by the "no switching" rule, wanting to get say a spouse visa in the UK .... rather than returning to their own country to apply for it.

John, the active volcano is your trademark when this question comes up - I left it for you!

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:33 am

Montserratians are indeed a good example, having been granted ELE/ELR and subsequently ILE/ILR by Mike O'Brien.

Even the social security rules were amended to allow them automatic entitlement to Community Care Grants...

rimm,

Is this leave that has already been granted under an asylum application?
Oh, the drama...!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 pm

I tend to give that example, because I think it sums up how exceptional the situation needs to be. Quite simply there needs to be an extremely good reason why the person cannot go back to their country of origin and make their application there.

As and when the sea level rises by 4 feet, the Maldives would be another good example .... given the highest point of the Maldives is currently 4 feet above sea level. Sounds like a good reason not to be able to make a visa application there, when that happens.
John