ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can married partner of UK Citizens EEA national apply for Settled Status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

beatleperson
Newly Registered
Australia

Can married partner of UK Citizens EEA national apply for Settled Status?

Post by beatleperson » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:40 pm

I have a question about the eligibility of a non-EEA person to pursue Settled Status if their spouse is both an EEA national and has British Citizenship.

Person 1:
- EEA National - German citizenship
- UK Citizenship

Person 2:
- Non-EEA national
- Currently in the UK on Tier 2 visa.

When Person 1 and Person 2 get married, can Person 2 apply for Settled Status? Does the fact that Person 1 has UK Citizenship mean that Person 2 must apply for Spouse Visa, not Settled Status?

secret.simon

Re: Can married partner of UK Citizens EEA national apply for Settled Status?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:33 am

How did the EEA citizen spouse acquire their British citizenship?
Did the couple reside together in another EEA member-state where the EEA citizen spouse exercised treaty rights before returning to the UK as a couple?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

beatleperson
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by beatleperson » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 pm

The spouse acquired the UK citizenship by getting ILR then applying to be naturalised in the UK.

The couple have never lived together in another EEA country.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:18 pm

beatleperson wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 pm
The spouse acquired the UK citizenship by getting ILR
As the EEA citizen spouse is a German citizen, I presume that you mean that s/he acquired PR under the EEA regulations/EU law before s/he was naturalised. Is that correct?

In that case, their spouse can continue to apply as the spouse of an EEA citizen even after the EU citizen has naturalised as a British citizen.

See the definitions of a "relevant EU citizen" and "relevant naturalised British citizen" in Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules.
relevant EU citizen
   (a) an EU citizen resident in the UK for a continuous qualifying period which began before the specified date; or 
   (b) an EU citizen who, having been resident in the UK as described in sub-paragraph (a), above, has been or is being granted indefinite leave to remain under this Appendix (or who would be granted that leave, if they made a valid application under this Appendix); or 
   (c) where the applicant is a family member of an EU citizen resident in the UK for a continuous qualifying period who is a relevant naturalised British citizen, a relevant naturalised British citizen resident in the UK for a continuous qualifying period

relevant naturalised British citizen
a relevant EU citizen as described in sub-paragraph (a) of the entry for ‘relevant EU citizen’ in this table, who also: 
   (a) comes within paragraph (b) of the definition of “EEA national” in regulation 2(1) of the EEA Regulations; and 
   (b) meets the criteria contained in regulation 9A(2) or (3) as the dual national (“DN”) to whom those provisions refer
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 pm

When does person 1 and person 2 plan on marrying??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

beatleperson
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by beatleperson » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:01 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:18 pm
beatleperson wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 pm
The spouse acquired the UK citizenship by getting ILR
As the EEA citizen spouse is a German citizen, I presume that you mean that s/he acquired PR under the EEA regulations/EU law before s/he was naturalised. Is that correct?
secret.simon, thanks for your response on this.

Yes this is correct, the German person obtained PR in the UK prior to naturalisation.

beatleperson
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by beatleperson » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 pm
When does person 1 and person 2 plan on marrying??
This is something person 1 and person 2 are planning in 2019.

CR001, in your opinion does the timing of marriage impact the case (assuming it is all done prior to the 30 June 2021)?