ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost passport - Working Holiday Visa inside. What to do?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rachel_m
Newly Registered

Lost passport - Working Holiday Visa inside. What to do?

Post by Rachel_m » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:35 am

My sister lost her passport over the weekend. Her WHV is inside the passport and being South African she can expect a long wait before a new one is issues.

Can someone advise on what she would need to do to transfer the WHV into the new passport once it has arrived? It is indeed possible?

I don't believe she has any urgent travel plans so apart from staying put in the UK for now, is there anything else she needs to be aware of?

Your advice greatly appreciated.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Has she reported the lost passport to the police yet? She can either notify the HO about the loss now, or wait until she gets her new passport and then ask for a Transfer of Conditions. She may have to use the form and pay the fee.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:03 pm

As a reminder, people should always copy their passport and the visas within them should you lose them, then it helps the authorities by giving them something to go on as a basis to replace the passport and visas.

carlabeach

Post by carlabeach » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:22 pm

once i lost my passport, i reported to the police then with the letter i went to my embassy and they give me straight away a new one, but keep with you all times the police report for help to issue your new visa is not problem at all.

1963British

Certified Documents

Post by 1963British » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:42 am

republique wrote:As a reminder, people should always copy their passport and the visas within them should you lose them, then it helps the authorities by giving them something to go on as a basis to replace the passport and visas.
You may want to get certified documents in advance as an added safeguard. You can do it without going to a solicitor or notary and at much lower cost.

The Post Office has a document checking service and they will certify three pages for seven pounds.

In this example, the original poster could have made three color copies of the page that had the visa/entry clearance. I suggest just that page as it should have contained a picture along with passport numbers, date of birth...

The person at the Post Office will stamp each page then certify it is a true and correct copy.

Xzibit1

Post by Xzibit1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:00 pm

What to do if you lose your passport

You must report a lost or stolen passport to IPS as soon as you can so that it can be cancelled. If this is not done, someone else may try to travel on your passport or use your identity illegally in some other way.

If your passport was lost or stolen abroad you should contact the local police. You should also report the missing passport to the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office can give you their contact details. You will also have to fill in a lost and stolen declaration form (LSO1).

If your passport was lost or stolen in the UK, you must report this to IPS. All cases of theft must also be reported to your local police station. You must insert the crime reference details in the relevant section of the declaration of loss/theft form (LS01), which you will need to complete and return to IPS.

In either case IPS recommends that you apply for a replacement passport as soon as possible, from IPS in the UK or from a British embassy, consulate or high commission overseas