ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I did not expect it!!!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

taiwookunade
Newly Registered

I did not expect it!!!

Post by taiwookunade » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:49 pm

People - It was an interesting day in my life. I had been in UK for almost three months searching for a job relentlessly. I even applied for the lowest paying jobs just to break into the UK job market. Alas!! no one wanted anything to do with me becasue of the lack of UK experience even though I've had almost 4.5 years experience with a big accountacy firm in my home country.

I was always getting calls from recruitment agencies (obviously the fake ones) but none was able to schedule me for any interview. Then, on this particular day, someone from a company I applied to about one month earlier called me and asked if I would like to work as a voluntary accountant. My initial reaction was to tell him off. I could not imagine someone asking me to work for free when I have family to take care of and bills to settle. Anyway, on discussing with my wife, we concluded that I should take up the role to at least gain some UK experience.

After working with the company for three weeks, they asked if I would like to take up the role permanently with a starting salary of 30k. I could not believe my ears. Apart from this wonderful surprise, the work environment is one out of this world. Everyone in the company is so friendly. They will never allow you to go for lunch alone, etc.

I have started getting paid for my service. The reason why I posted this topic is to encourage the people that are still in the situation I was then. You can take up any voluntary job in your area of discipline and use to gain some UK experience. The UK job market is biased towards experience gained within it. Just do what you need to do to get what you want. You may continue to stay at home for months without gaining any experience. Why not use that period to do som voluntary works that will add value to your CV.

Also, do not put in "payless effort". Work as if you are being paid for what you are doing. Who knows, someone may be watching and assessing you.

If I could do it, I bet you can also do it.

That is my story.

tral_hsmp

Post by tral_hsmp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi,

Congrats...
That is really a surprise, but also a very good news for HSMP guys like me.

Wish you all the best for your new job.

vnvijay

Re: I did not expect it!!!

Post by vnvijay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi,

Congrats,!!!

Wat was ur qualification, had u done some professional course. I would like to know job market for finance field. Which country are you from, I am from India.

VJ

taiwookunade wrote:People - It was an interesting day in my life. I had been in UK for almost three months searching for a job relentlessly. I even applied for the lowest paying jobs just to break into the UK job market. Alas!! no one wanted anything to do with me becasue of the lack of UK experience even though I've had almost 4.5 years experience with a big accountacy firm in my home country.

I was always getting calls from recruitment agencies (obviously the fake ones) but none was able to schedule me for any interview. Then, on this particular day, someone from a company I applied to about one month earlier called me and asked if I would like to work as a voluntary accountant. My initial reaction was to tell him off. I could not imagine someone asking me to work for free when I have family to take care of and bills to settle. Anyway, on discussing with my wife, we concluded that I should take up the role to at least gain some UK experience.

After working with the company for three weeks, they asked if I would like to take up the role permanently with a starting salary of 30k. I could not believe my ears. Apart from this wonderful surprise, the work environment is one out of this world. Everyone in the company is so friendly. They will never allow you to go for lunch alone, etc.

I have started getting paid for my service. The reason why I posted this topic is to encourage the people that are still in the situation I was then. You can take up any voluntary job in your area of discipline and use to gain some UK experience. The UK job market is biased towards experience gained within it. Just do what you need to do to get what you want. You may continue to stay at home for months without gaining any experience. Why not use that period to do som voluntary works that will add value to your CV.

Also, do not put in "payless effort". Work as if you are being paid for what you are doing. Who knows, someone may be watching and assessing you.

If I could do it, I bet you can also do it.

That is my story.

taiwookunade
Newly Registered

Post by taiwookunade » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:56 pm

I registered for ACCA exams immediately I got to the UK and included it in my CV. I am from Nigeria.

hm
Newly Registered

Post by hm » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:19 pm

congrats,

I think you have done right thing at right time. But actually in my case I wanted to be volunteer myself. I registered and applied for volunteer positions only. 8)

But to my surprise, no luck yet!! My background is from voluntary sector, but I was paid employee in my home country. :)

crusador0408
Member of Standing

nice!

Post by crusador0408 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Hearty Congratulations... I am also hunting job, its just been a month. I think 2 months is a normal time.

Thanks for your good post.
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

vnvijay

Post by vnvijay » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:32 pm

hey dude,

are you from Finance background!!

Wat is your qualification, which place are you from ?
VJ
hm wrote:congrats,

I think you have done right thing at right time. But actually in my case I wanted to be volunteer myself. I registered and applied for volunteer positions only. 8)

But to my surprise, no luck yet!! My background is from voluntary sector, but I was paid employee in my home country. :)

hm
Newly Registered

Post by hm » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:10 am

I am not from finance background, from env. engineering field but working in voluntary sector.[/quote]

taiwookunade
Newly Registered

Post by taiwookunade » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:09 pm

I have a degree in accounting. I also have a professional qualification from my home country. However, I had to register for ACCA before I was even able to get any interview.

chakde23

Re: nice!

Post by chakde23 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi,

What kind of experience you have in IT
crusador0408 wrote:Hearty Congratulations... I am also hunting job, its just been a month. I think 2 months is a normal time.

Thanks for your good post.