ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Sulla » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:13 am

Michael123,

Yes, the board has been quiet. I am still waiting on my FBR certificate to arrive. It has been 2.5 weeks thus far since the citizenship email. I hope I manage to get the certificate this week, because Chinese New Year is a about to hit and everything stops for that. It will definitely mean a mid February receipt date becomes likely if it fails to materialize soon.

Tanmay 99

I hate to be alarmist, but failure to include the marriage certificate is probably going to be an issue and lead to a request for further documentation down the road. If you have any way to source certified copies, I would strongly urge you to do so. All of the other documents that you said you included "instead of the marriage certificate" are just in fact other required documents in the process. In general, the only documents that the FBR officials are more flexible about tend to be proofs of address or possibly alternative photo ID for older people who lack passports or driving licences.

Jax22

I am not aware of any time limit that runs between making the online application payment and sending the documents to the embassy. For passports, you have to submit within 6 months of the witnessing of the application, but there seems to be no guidance for FBR. Anyway, given the long timescales that many of us are enduring, I would advise getting your application in asap. As for the conflicting information between the embassy site and the Irish DFA site, that is explained by the higher requirements for applications received overseas. For me, this meant more proofs of address and plenty of translations.

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:09 pm

So it seems things are in a massive slowdown at the moment. No surprise really with the current state of Brexit.

I applied in July 2018, my application was forwarded for approval with the minister in November 2018, and after calling the DFA today they advised that they have a huge backlog and that I shouldn’t expect any confirmation (email or otherwise) for the next couple of months, so probably beginning of April. April would put me at 9 months for email confirmation of citizenship (which I am told they send out for every successful application ahead of the certificate being printed and mailed to the recipient).

This is likely to apply to all of us on this thread who are waiting for updates.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Doesnt make sense!! Applications that were received on 8/2 have been processed and FBR certs have been delivered, those applicants have both moved on to the Passport stage!

nic123
Newly Registered
England

Post by nic123 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:28 am

No doesn't make sense at all. I'm at 7 months now.
Was told all my documents were in order by email January. To be honest, I thought mine was relatively straight forward.

clongwill
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by clongwill » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi all,

I sent an online query yesterday asking for a status update on my application sent in early September 2018, and to check they didn't need further documentation. I recieved the following:

"We are receiving a high volume of applications, unfortunately these are taking a minimum of 6 months at present.

Your application is still at the very early stages."

So that's that. Hopefully this means my documents are in order at least. The fact that I live in Dublin (28 years in Ireland total of my 31 years!) and the FBR office is a five minute walk from my place of work makes it so much more painful! I could just drop in if they would let me 😂

Good luck to all of you still waiting, we might have a long road ahead of us.

nudiepen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nudiepen » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi all,

At the end of December I submitted an FBR application to the Irish Embassy in London. Due to it containing old documents (birth certificates) that my mum didn't want to risk losing, I posted it through the postbox of the embassy (they were closed and i couldn't make it in when they were open).

I contacted the embassy to see if they have received my application as I didnt get confirmation, and they just today said they haven't yet. Have I messed up by not handing it to someone or posting it recorded, or could it just be sitting in a pile in the embassy waiting to be opened? I know that there is a huge waiting time at the moment for applications to be processed but I thought i would have at least received confirmation by now. I'm worried that the application is lost and I have lost precious documents.

danmur
Newly Registered

Post by danmur » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 am

Hello all,

Has anyone on here as a Scottish resident applied via Edinburgh?

Does the final approval go to Dublin or is it certified in Edinburgh? Was just wondering who I would be best phoning Sublin/Edinburgh due to it coming up for 6 months - any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

jax22
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jax22 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the info Sulla.

I did think it strange that the embassy wants more info, I even have to send divorce and re-marriage certificates for parents :? which I really don't understand as they don't show anything for the Irish heritage.

I will get the application submitted and printed and hopefully get it all signed next week, I will be sending mine from Finland so I hope it will be straight forward, reading through some of the posts it is going to take a while.

ETJAN18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ETJAN18 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi I have just sent off my online application and payment.
I am now nervous about sending all the original documents from Grandad, mum and myself....
did you get them back OK? How did others send their documentation to Dublin.
Thanks for any advice you can give

spiderplants
European Union

Post by spiderplants » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

ETJAN18 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:37 pm
Hi I have just sent off my online application and payment.
I am now nervous about sending all the original documents from Grandad, mum and myself....
did you get them back OK? How did others send their documentation to Dublin.
Thanks for any advice you can give
You send them to the Irish Embassy in London who forward them to Dublin. Send them recorded delivery so you can track their delivery. But, if you really want to keep those originals and are worried you'll lose them, you can order copies from the GRO and the Irish equivalent.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:36 pm

brawn401 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:09 pm
So it seems things are in a massive slowdown at the moment. No surprise really with the current state of Brexit.

I applied in July 2018, my application was forwarded for approval with the minister in November 2018, and after calling the DFA today they advised that they have a huge backlog and that I shouldn’t expect any confirmation (email or otherwise) for the next couple of months, so probably beginning of April. April would put me at 9 months for email confirmation of citizenship (which I am told they send out for every successful application ahead of the certificate being printed and mailed to the recipient).

This is likely to apply to all of us on this thread who are waiting for updates.

I noticed a slow down as well. I am still waiting, application was delivered to Dublin on Aug 21, 2018. I am 3 weeks before my 6th month since delivery. When I first sent my application in Aug the waiting time was 4 months, I had hoped for news by Christmas, then hoped for new years now hoping for St Patrick’s day! It seems that the whole process, including the passport issuance will be a year.

For now, lets just keep posting to keep each other sane and update as we can.

Stephen_W
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Stephen_W » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 pm

danmur wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 am
Hello all,

Has anyone on here as a Scottish resident applied via Edinburgh?

Does the final approval go to Dublin or is it certified in Edinburgh? Was just wondering who I would be best phoning Sublin/Edinburgh due to it coming up for 6 months - any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.
Hi Dan,

I applied through Edinburgh (see my post on timescales a number of pages back), the final approval comes from Dublin. The Dublin address is stamped on the back of the returning envelope.

Not sure about the phone call sorry, I didn't get in touch with either.

I'd recommend requesting a passport form now, that was about 2 weeks ago I applied online to have the application sent out and no sign of anything yet.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:33 pm

I found this, thought I would share it.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 64/#pq_164

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 pm

Michael123,
Thank You for posting the Article Link. I found the Ministers comments interesting.
And hope that all those waiting on here have their Applications processed within 6 months!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks Liam. Remind me where you are located?

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:16 am

I am near Chicago....at the moment it's very cold around here. -24F last night. brrrr

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 am

Haha thats not cold! Currently it is 11F or -11C here in Boston!

mmm5892
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mmm5892 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 am

Hi everyone,

I posted awhile back, but I am finally making headway.

Because I was adopted, I have the added step of getting an adoption certificate first from the Adoption Authority of Ireland. (I'm located near Boston).

Because of that extra step, I decided to hire an Irish citizenship consultant to help me out. She has some good contacts at the DFA, and told me the reason for the massive slow down is because management and staff has changed massively in the last few weeks. They also have apparently moved office so the delay is around 6 months in addition to the standard wait time.

Kind of not what we wanted to hear, but let's stay positive and hope it's faster than expected :) It will be more than worth it!

Sending off my FBR in the next couple of days!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 am

I am going to call the city clerk where I was born, ask them if Dublin verifies the submitted documents. If they do, I will ask if mine has been verified. I also have the option of calling where the submitted documents originated.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:05 am

Michael123 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 am
I am going to call the city clerk where I was born, ask them if Dublin verifies the submitted documents. If they do, I will ask if mine has been verified. I also have the option of calling where the submitted documents originated.
IMHO, I think the documents your submitted will be fine, and that you just have to wait a bit because of the surge in applications. That link you posted is interesting. In some ways I find it surprising that 50% of applications are incomplete. But then again, you do see questions here about people being asked to submit documents that they didn't originally send with their applications. I think the instructions/requirements are straightforward. So why people don't follow them is a mystery.

If I were still waiting, the Tánaiste's comments about the 50% incomplete applications would have me a bit annoyed. I say that because I submitted everything they requested (as you did). So they probably have to spend more time on applications from people who don't follow the instructions. So even if you follow the rules, your application is going to get delayed because they have to spend more time on someone's incomplete one.

Court2
England

Post by Court2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:10 am

First time poster, but long time reader.

Applied 5th September 2018 through London.
Received confirmation of receipt email 6th September 2018 from London.

Then I received an email out of the blue during the first week of December to say my application was at an 'advanced stage' and sent to Dublin.

Heard nothing since. Judging by some other timelines, seems the application could be approved by now and somewhere awaiting printing or sending back to London and then to me :D

Have they stopped sending out the 'Congratulations you are an Irish citizen' email? Was mentioned a few months ago but no one reported it so far. Every day hoping to see one or just receive my FBR in the post!

Brilliant forum, good luck to everyone waiting, especially from London with the extended wait times.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:24 am

Court2 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:10 am
Have they stopped sending out the 'Congratulations you are an Irish citizen' email? Was mentioned a few months ago but no one reported it so far. Every day hoping to see one or just receive my FBR in the post!
I got my citizenship through in June last year and I didn't get any email - the certificate just arrived through the normal UK post, which I didn't have to sign for. By coincidence, I had phoned them up a few days earlier and they'd been able to confirm my FBR had gone through, so I already knew it was on its way. So I think the 'congratulations' email isn't automatic - someone has to remember to send it.

Once you get it, you'll presumably be applying for your passport. You can track the application process online, however this will show you're at stage 1 (out of 6, I think) for ages and then when it finally moves onto stage 2, everything happens quickly and your passport will be with you 5 days later.

clongwill
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by clongwill » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am

Court2 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:10 am
First time poster, but long time reader.

Applied 5th September 2018 through London.
Received confirmation of receipt email 6th September 2018 from London.

Then I received an email out of the blue during the first week of December to say my application was at an 'advanced stage' and sent to Dublin.

Heard nothing since. Judging by some other timelines, seems the application could be approved by now and somewhere awaiting printing or sending back to London and then to me :D

Brilliant forum, good luck to everyone waiting, especially from London with the extended wait times.
I think this proves the randomness of how the applications are handled. I applied the day before you September 4 2018, and only this Tuesday was advised that my application was in the very early stages. So there definitely can't be in order! I applied from Dublin as well so didn't have to go through an embassy.

I mentioned in passing that I understand there is a huge surge in applications etc etc, but I was hoping to at least have my documents back as I'm pregnant, and it might cause issues after the birth not to have my birth certificate, marriage certificate etc. The guy I was dealing with responded within minutes saying he would expedite my application if I sent a doctors letter confirming my pregnancy and due date. So if there are any expectant parents here who did not know about this - it is worth getting that letter from your doctor and sending that in too.

Gonna take whatever shortcut I can - as someone who has lived and worked in Ireland all my life and be still told my application is in the early stages after 5 months, is a bit depressing. Need a win!

jax22
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jax22 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:16 pm

Okay probably a really silly question here.

For parents details - my dad is married but it is a second marriage so do I put divorced or married because although he divorced he re-married so is married.

spelga51
Newly Registered
Mood:
Scotland

Post by spelga51 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Hello,

Long time reader from Glasgow, Scotland here.

I applied to the FBR finally in early November 2018 with all documents sent to Edinburgh Consulate just before December 1st.

Last week, the Irish Embassy in Edinburgh informed me that all November applications have been sent to Dublin for processing by diplomatic post.

I then called FBR hotline in Dublin who informed me that my application package has arrived in Dublin but it has not been opened yet. Once my application is opened, I'll get an email to confirm the process has started.

Unfortunately, I was advised even if there is no issues with my application, it still could take NINE to TEN months before I get my FBR certificate. That's almost a year to wait - I'm really hoping it isn't as late as September!

In the meanwhile, I've got physical copies of the Irish passport form ready to be completed when I finally get my FBR certificate. I'm planning ahead. Glasgow has a fast-processing office so hopefully it won't take too long to get my Irish passport. It's just a waiting game now.

A friend in Scotland who is finishing their application has been advised to send their documents direct to Dublin rather than Edinburgh and they need 4 passport photo now. I applied with two photos before it was changed.

Another tip - if your application form witness is a Doctor and they do not have an official stamp or business card, they will need to supply their GMC (General Medicial Council) number to verify that they are a real doctor.

Hope this helps!

(Bloody Brexit.)