ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

work permit for Ireland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gulgon

work permit for Ireland

Post by gulgon » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:50 pm

Is there anyone with an experience about work permit for Ireland, I mean both the work permit taken from embassy (for specified fields) and work permit for other jobs?

While waiting for my painful HSMP process, I passed a kind of test and 4 telephone interviews for a position (Online Sales and Operation officer with a specific language) in a very popular IT company in Dublin. I have recieved an email from the company asking me to call them since they had a good news for me! They didnt require IT degree but only passion for internet.

Do you think such a position would be considered in the field of IT, so I would directly go to the Irish embassy for a work permit/authorization?

And how long does the process take?

Thank you very much

marialear

Post by marialear » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:12 am

Hi there,

I can tell you a little about the Work Authorization (WA) scheme and a lot about the regular Work Permit scheme (WP). For all formal details, go to The Dept of Enterprise, Trade & Employement www.entemp.ie

The WA is given to specific job categories that are deemed particularly understaffed here in Ireland. They are given to Dr, nurses, engineers, town planners, IT consultants...etc. THese permits are obtained at your home country's Irish embassy & are for 2 years at a time. You can change your employer under the WA scheme provided you stay within the same sector of work (IT in Dublin, move to a position as IT in Cork). I have heard that they can be quite particular about what documents (ie University Degree, Diploma, Certificate) you need to get the IT WA. I think that is because the IT sector is so diverse and there are so many possible qualifications out there all over the world from different countries that they want specifics. Ask what exactly they want before you get into the process, is what I would recommend.

Now, the WP option: again, check out www.entemp.ie for full details.

Only the employer applies and pays for this permit. You must find an employer first, then apply. The employer must prove that firstly, they looked within Ireland to fill the position, then the entire EU. Once no one could be found, then they can apply for a WP for you. THe employer must register the position with FAS (the Irish employment people) then wait 4 weeks, then get a letter from FAS certifying that no Irish/EU person could be found to fill the position. The employer can then go ahead and apply for a permit for you. You cannot work while the permit is being processed (8-10wks) You cannot inquire on your own behalf about where in the queue your application is, only contact is between the The Dept of Enter, Trade and Employ and your potential employer. The permit is for a max of one year and can be renewed. It costs 500.00 Euro for an annual WP. You cannot change jobs, one WP is issued per employer per employee. If you want to change jobs, you must start all over again from scratch. There are apparently new rules set up for people on current WP who want to change jobs, but I am not sure of the specifics (check the website).

Well, that's the basics, check also The Dept of Justice www.justice.ie for citizenship details and regular immigration details.

Good luck,

Maria

gulgon

Post by gulgon » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:07 pm

Thank you very much Maria for helpful notes. I was offered the job on fri and tomorrow I will talk to them about work permit formalities.

But what I wonder much is if I can be eligible for Work Visa Scheme. The position is "Online Sales and Operations Officer" in Google's European Headquarter in Dublin and the job description is as follows :

Responsibilities:

Provide excellent customer service to Google's advertisers.
Thoroughly analyse ad content, quality and accuracy.
Approve or disapprove new and changed ad submissions.
Troubleshoot existing advertising campaigns and technical problems.
Respond to customer service inquiries by email.
Optimise advertiser keyword lists and ads in order to maximise advertisers' ROI.
Consistently monitor emails, customer feedback and satisfaction.

Requirements:

Detail oriented; ability to complete a large volume of work quickly.
Some customer service/client service experience.
BA/BS degree or equivalent.
Strong computer applications skills.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Fluent English as well as native level fluency in Turkish

Salary : 24.000 euro a year

So do you think if the Irish Embassy in the UK would consider this in the designated category of Information and computing technologies professionals/technicians and/or would consider me in the work visa scheme?? I would appreciate any comments...

marialear

Post by marialear » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:21 pm

I'd say go for it. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the work authorization scheme myself or the actual reality of the process, but I'd give it a go anyway if I were you. Bring with you a written job offer from the Irish employer and your passport. Try for sure!

Good luck,

Maria

AnandVishwanathan
Newly Registered

Hiya

Post by AnandVishwanathan » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:50 am

HI,

I would say the same - go for it. And do let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers!!!
Anand Vishwanathan.

gulgon

Post by gulgon » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:45 pm

Sorry for my late answer, quite hectic life in the UK.

I contact the embassy for work visa, but a kind officer told me that I should have an IT degree for that.

So anyway, the company already applied for work permit and they said it would take 2-3 weeks, bur if Irish authority takes Turkey/turkish citizens as in the risky group, this might take longer time... so I am waiting with anxioity now.

by the way, I am so pleased that all Irish people are very kind, even those at the embassy! they listen and they try to do their best, a warm nation. I hope i will get wp and live there!! I already started to warm up (watched "angela's ashes" again last week! ;0)

Ireland
Newly Registered

Intersested aslo in working in Ireland

Post by Ireland » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:32 pm

[quote="gulgon"]Thank you very much Maria for helpful notes. I was offered the job on fri and tomorrow I will talk to them about work permit formalities.

But what I wonder much is if I can be eligible for Work Visa Scheme. The position is "Online Sales and Operations Officer" in Google's European Headquarter in Dublin and the job description is as follows :

Responsibilities:

Provide excellent customer service to Google's advertisers.
Thoroughly analyse ad content, quality and accuracy.
Approve or disapprove new and changed ad submissions.
Troubleshoot existing advertising campaigns and technical problems.
Respond to customer service inquiries by email.
Optimise advertiser keyword lists and ads in order to maximise advertisers' ROI.
Consistently monitor emails, customer feedback and satisfaction.

Requirements:

Detail oriented; ability to complete a large volume of work quickly.
Some customer service/client service experience.
BA/BS degree or equivalent.
Strong computer applications skills.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Fluent English as well as native level fluency in Turkish

Salary : 24.000 euro a year

So do you think if the Irish Embassy in the UK would consider this in the designated category of Information and computing technologies professionals/technicians and/or would consider me in the work visa scheme?? I would appreciate any comments...[/quote][quote][/quote][list]

Hello there......I as well am looking for a position in Ireland. I have an IT background, but it has been very difficult to get sponsorship or a work permit. Does anyone have any good ideas as to how to get work in Ireland? Please advise if you haveany experience. thank you, Mary[/list]