ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Residence Card still valid after no-deal Brexit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

EEA Residence Card still valid after no-deal Brexit?

Post by jestew » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Greetings,

My 5 year residence card is valid until Aug 2019, and I don't think I'm eligible to apply for permanent residence until May 2019 (5 years after my EEA family permit Surinder Singh Route).

I'm suddenly wondering what will happen come 30 Mar with a (terrifyingly possible) no-deal Brexit? Will the Home Office suddenly go all soft and gushy and become *nice* and honour all those SS-Route permits that they fought so hard to prevent?

I have a US passport due to expire in April, and an ailing step-father in the USA and have considered spending time in the US to held my aged parents and get a new passport - but I'm sudeenly concerned that I won't be able to get back into the country to my family here if I do.

Any advice or at least reasonable reassurances? Thanks!
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted
23/08/19 SS Application submitted
24/09/19 Biometrics submitted
06/11/19: CoA
21/11/19: Email that Settled Status granted
22/11/19: BRC by courier

Alinacarolina
United Kingdom

Re: EEA Residence Card still valid after no-deal Brexit?

Post by Alinacarolina » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:38 pm

jestew wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:29 pm
Greetings,

My 5 year residence card is valid until Aug 2019, and I don't think I'm eligible to apply for permanent residence until May 2019 (5 years after my EEA family permit Surinder Singh Route).

I'm suddenly wondering what will happen come 30 Mar with a (terrifyingly possible) no-deal Brexit? Will the Home Office suddenly go all soft and gushy and become *nice* and honour all those SS-Route permits that they fought so hard to prevent?

I have a US passport due to expire in April, and an ailing step-father in the USA and have considered spending time in the US to held my aged parents and get a new passport - but I'm sudeenly concerned that I won't be able to get back into the country to my family here if I do.

In case of no deal brexit your biometric residence card is valid until 31st December 2020. In your case it is valid until Aug 2019 and then you can apply for PR.

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jestew » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:23 am

Hi, and thanks for replying,

Being able to apply for PR after Brexit? That sounds very confusing to me. Surely, the first thing the Home Office will do is to remove application for EU residence cards?

From what you're saying, has the HO made some kind of guarantees for people using Surinder Singh? From my reading, the withdrawal agreement (which has been rejected) didn't have any support for SS route individuals - only a vague promise that they 'of course' would be supported. I'm very happy to be wrong about this - could you point me to what the HO was said about this? I can't find anything online.

Thanks!
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Alinacarolina wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:38 pm
jestew wrote:
Greetings,

In case of no deal brexit your biometric residence card is valid until 31st December 2020. In your case it is valid until Aug 2019 and then you can apply for PR.
You might mean Settled Status?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Alinacarolina
United Kingdom

Post by Alinacarolina » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:41 pm
Alinacarolina wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:38 pm
jestew wrote:
Greetings,

You might mean Settled Status?
Sorry my bad. I meant Settled status. NOT PR. sorry.

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jestew » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi, thanks. Now I see what you mean - Settled Status will be the only option for those of us who would have applied for PR.

Is there a link that describes this process for Surinder Singh Route applications? I am still very uncertain.

I found this:
Those family members of British citizens who entered the UK relying on the Surinder Singh route before 31 December 2020 will also be eligible to apply under the UK’s settled status scheme.
from: https://www.freemovement.org.uk/more-de ... er-brexit/

That does give some reassurance, but I'd like to know what evidence I need to provide to support my application. I'm reading questions of CSI and "qualified person status" and it really twists my head around in circles knowing what is needed.

I received my 5 year permit with regards to my British wife who is still my wife and we still live together. Once I have been in the UK for 5 years (May 2019) will my application for Settled Status be automatic? Or will I need to provide supporting evidence?

Thank you again.
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jestew » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 am

jestew wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 pm
I received my 5 year permit with regards to my British wife who is still my wife and we still live together. Once I have been in the UK for 5 years (May 2019) will my application for Settled Status be automatic? Or will I need to provide supporting evidence?
I'm still uncertain about this - is there anything published yet by the Home Office or are we just hoping that they will respect the SS Route individuals?

Thanks!
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted