ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Net Income or Taxable Income

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pshbrittany
Newly Registered
United States of America

Net Income or Taxable Income

Post by pshbrittany » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Hello,

For the financial requirement for a self-employed sole trader, will that be determined by net income or taxable income?

My sponsor is working in Japan, which has a basic deduction that all taxpayers are eligible for. We subtract that basic deduction from the net income to get his taxable income. Should we be excluding that basic deduction when we determine if he meets the financial requirements for the visa?

I'm unsure because in FM 1.7, it mentions "the income will be the gross taxable profits from their share of the business in the relevant financial year(s), not including any deductable allowances, expenses or liabilities which may be applied to the gross taxable profits to establish the final tax liability."

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Net Income or Taxable Income

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:30 pm

pshbrittany wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 pm
Hello,

For the financial requirement for a self-employed sole trader, will that be determined by net income or taxable income?

My sponsor is working in Japan, which has a basic deduction that all taxpayers are eligible for. We subtract that basic deduction from the net income to get his taxable income. Should we be excluding that basic deduction when we determine if he meets the financial requirements for the visa?

I'm unsure because in FM 1.7, it mentions "the income will be the gross taxable profits from their share of the business in the relevant financial year(s), not including any deductable allowances, expenses or liabilities which may be applied to the gross taxable profits to establish the final tax liability."
It's net income....earnings after allowable business expenses have been deducted.

Are you applying with overseas earnings, the equivalent of £18,600 p.a for the 12 month period prior to submitting the settlement visa application AND a confirmed job offer in the UK for your sponsor to start within 3 months of arrival, again meeting the £18,600 p.a minimum earnings level :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

pshbrittany
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Net Income or Taxable Income

Post by pshbrittany » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:37 am

Casa wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:30 pm
It's net income....earnings after allowable business expenses have been deducted.

Are you applying with overseas earnings, the equivalent of £18,600 p.a for the 12 month period prior to submitting the settlement visa application AND a confirmed job offer in the UK for your sponsor to start within 3 months of arrival, again meeting the £18,600 p.a minimum earnings level :?:
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, my sponsor will be returning to the UK with a job offer which meets the requirements.

So you're saying we don't have to consider the basic deduction? I'm confused because FM1.7 mentions gross taxable profits. On my sponsor's tax return, his net income meets the requirements, but his taxable income does not since a basic deduction is made.