ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Girlfriend Visiting me in the UK, Plans for the future

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Girlfriend Visiting me in the UK, Plans for the future

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little bit of advice. I'm a British Citizen by Birth, and my girlfriend is a citizen of El Salvadoran. We're currently trying to plan the future of our relationship. I've visited her and she's visited me here in the UK, as a tourist - not requiring an entry visa. I'm employed full time, and earn more than £25,000 which is above the minimum threshold of £18,600. I am 26 years old and she is 25. She visited the UK from 21st December - 6th January 2019, and left when she told the border officer on her entry that she would leave.

We plan to get married in the future and for her to move to the UK with me, under the family visa or the spousal visa which we would look to convert to a family visa after the marriage.

Because she has never lived in a country other than El Salvador before, it would be good if she could visit me for a period of up to 6 months. I know that you can be allowed entry for a period of up to 6 months, however I also know that it's unlikely to be approved, and highly likely she would be turned away at the border, as they would think she can't prove ties to return home. I understand however that this may not be possible, and if she is turned away at the border, it can significantly impact her chance of being allowed entry in the future.

Further from this there is also the question of marriage, for us to apply for the marriage visa, she must be able to prove at least an A1 speaking and Listening level of English, unfortunately the closest center to her in which she could take the test is in Panama City in Panama, and they only have 1 test date available. It may make more sense for her to visit me in the UK again (if not for the full 6 months, for a shorter period of time) and take the test whilst she's here. Then on her return to El Salvador we can arrange either a fiance visa or I could visit her in El Salvador and marry her there.

Apologies for the large amount of information, we're very much in love and want to be together, but are both a little overwhelmed by the large amount of obstacles in the way. We're both committed to making it work, however any advice would be a great help.

Thanks so much in advance.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Girlfriend Visiting me in the UK, Plans for the future

Post by seagul » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Alternatively if she has got some degree from her home country then you can use NARIC red route service to get that degree be assessed against UK bachelor degree level. It may be cheaper option in your circumstances.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Thanks for the reply, I didn't actually know there was an alternative option. She does have a degree, however she isn't yet fluent in English. She understands and can speak and read, however she isn't completely fluent in the language yet. Would this prevent her from following this path?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:48 pm

corey01 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm
Thanks for the reply, I didn't actually know there was an alternative option. She does have a degree, however she isn't yet fluent in English. She understands and can speak and read, however she isn't completely fluent in the language yet. Would this prevent her from following this path?
If she has a degree which according to NARIC is equal to UK Bachelor degree then no one will test further to her English proficiency.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm

And she wouldn't need to demonstrate her ability in English at all to go via this route?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:21 pm

corey01 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm
And she wouldn't need to demonstrate her ability in English at all to go via this route?
Yes because its all documents based via post

CandyLee
Mood:
Taiwan

Post by CandyLee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Just search for "Prove your knowledge of English for citizenship and settling" online and you'll get more information about it under "If your degree was taught or researched in English".
As long as it's an English major or somewhat related to English, it will be sufficient enough.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Just having degree is not enough. It should be taught in English.. it could be any subject but medium of instruction should be English

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Ah, I thought that was the case. Unfortunately her degree was taught in Spanish. It looks like the best route would be for her to visit the UK and take the IELTS test while she's here.

One thing I'm a little concerned about, if we get married in El Salvador, she may need to attend an interview. The closest test centers are in countries miles apart. How common is this interview?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:06 pm

corey01 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:04 pm
Ah, I thought that was the case. Unfortunately her degree was taught in Spanish. It looks like the best route would be for her to visit the UK and take the IELTS test while she's here.

One thing I'm a little concerned about, if we get married in El Salvador, she may need to attend an interview. The closest test centers are in countries miles apart. How common is this interview?
In the event that an interview is necessary, this can be carried out by telephone or Skype.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 pm

In the event that an interview is necessary, this can be carried out by telephone or Skype.
Thats great news, so it actually seems like it may be easier to marry in El Salvador than to apply for a visa as a Fiancé? Or would anyone recommend otherwise?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 pm

You would certainly avoid paying the fees for two visas and after arriving in the UK your wife would be entitled to work straight away. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:36 pm

So the only question then is about taking her IELTS test.
I understand that it would be difficult for her to gain entry to the UK as a tourist and she would be highly likely to be turned away. In an ideal world she would come to live with me for a few months to ensure that she is happy in the UK, however I don't think that is an option.
So I suppose the real option now, if she isn't to travel to Panama to take the IELTS test, would be for her to visit me again for a few weeks, and take the test in the UK?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:46 pm

Unless anything has changed, there appears to be a British Council test centre in San Salvador.

"IELTS tests take place in San Salvador on various dates throughout the year. Registrations are processed and administered by the British Council in Mexico City."

https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/lo ... l-Salvador
(Casa, not CR001)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm

As per HO list there is no centre in EL Salvador. As advised before best is to try first NARIC red route otherwise while visiting you she might do it here if she/you can afford that.

CandyLee
Mood:
Taiwan

Post by CandyLee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Why do you think she will not be allowed entry? Does she not have a job back home? She can also provide a return ticket as proof that she will return home. I have always been allowed in 3-4 months without any problems when I was still dating my husband. Sometimes they didn't even ask to see my return ticket. As long as you are telling the truth and you are a genuine couple, they shouldn't be suspicious of your intentions.

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:10 pm

CandyLee wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:04 pm
Why do you think she will not be allowed entry? Does she not have a job back home? She can also provide a return ticket as proof that she will return home. I have always been allowed in 3-4 months without any problems when I was still dating my husband. Sometimes they didn't even ask to see my return ticket. As long as you are telling the truth and you are a genuine couple, they shouldn't be suspicious of your intentions.
To travel to the UK for up to 6 months she would probably have to resign her job at home. I was told on other forums that the would very likely be turned away for this as she wouldn't be providing adequate ties to her home for her to return. Although I would be extremely honest and tell the customs officer (if we were to travel together), that we plan to marry and we want to try our relationship living together. If things go well then we will return to El Salvador to get married and begin the Visa application process.

CandyLee
Mood:
Taiwan

Post by CandyLee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:19 pm

If you are willing to try living together for a shorter period of time, for example 3-4 months, I really don't think that would be a problem. She can say that she's having a long leave and will return back to her job, which is true in many people's cases.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:23 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm
As per HO list there is no centre in EL Salvador. As advised before best is to try first NARIC red route otherwise while visiting you she might do it here if she/you can afford that.
The NARIC ELA won't help as the OP has already confirmed that the degree was taught in Spanish. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:28 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm
Thanks for the reply, It doesn't appear that the CEFR A1 test required is offered at the San Salvador test centre. In regards to your previous advice - from the information available on the NARIC and the Foreign and Commonwealth office site, it seems that the red route is only available if the degree she studied was studied in English. Unfortunately the degree she studied was studied in Spanish so I don't believe this would be an option (although it would have made things a lot easier!) I think the other option of her taking the test while she's in the UK seems more viable.
CandyLee wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:19 pm
If you are willing to try living together for a shorter period of time, for example 3-4 months, I really don't think that would be a problem. She can say that she's having a long leave and will return back to her job, which is true in many people's cases.
Thanks for letting me know this, that certainly would be better. I understand that life is VERY much different in the UK to central America and would hate for her to move here and decide after a while that she hates it. If she talks to her employer they would probably also be able to provide her with proof that she would be returning to work if she asked. She does have a good relationship with, and is well regarded in her current company.

The plan would be for me to visit her in El Salvador in June and for her to return to England with me at the end of a few weeks together there. Given that I will be present at immigration with her (I believe we can enter together?), I can explain the situation to the immigration officer there. Once she enters the UK she can take the English test.

If we're still happy after the time together here, we could return to El Salvador to marry, and then start the visa application process.

Does this all seem achievable?

CandyLee
Mood:
Taiwan

Post by CandyLee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:50 pm

It would be good if her employer could provide wording of proof, I assume that would make you feel less worried as well. I never had any proof though, They just asked me and I replied verbally. The reason why I think 3-4 months wouldn't be a problem is that I've been doing so for 6 consecutive yrs and I always travelled alone without the company of my husband. When you say enter together, do you mean to be questioned together? I don't think so, unless you hold another passport other than a British one. There would be 2 different paths at the boarder control (one is EU/British and the other is NON EU).

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Ah I understand, I was under the impression that if we were travelling together I could go to through immigration with her. As you can tell i'm a little inexperienced in these matters!

In which case i'm assuming it would be useful if I also provided a letter to detail our circumstance, where she will be staying, that I will be supporting her and provide evidence that I have sufficient income to support her during her visit here?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:46 pm
Unless anything has changed, there appears to be a British Council test centre in San Salvador.

"IELTS tests take place in San Salvador on various dates throughout the year. Registrations are processed and administered by the British Council in Mexico City."

These versions of tests might be for other purposes but there is none for spouse visa purposes there as per HO list.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:18 pm
Casa wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:46 pm

These versions of tests might be for other purposes but there is none for spouse visa purposes there as per HO list.
Hence the caution in my comment 'unless anything has changed'. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

corey01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by corey01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:51 pm

It states on the Gov.uk site that the estimated time for a family Visa applied from overseas is 12 weeks, and that you can't expedite the process if you're applying from overseas.

Is this 12 weeks accurate? I've read some horror stories of this taking months.