ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for Baby

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maheshs.2006
Newly Registered

British Citizenship for Baby

Post by maheshs.2006 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:40 pm

Could any one please help me or share your thoughts.

Myself and my wife have an ILR. We are expecting a baby and will be born outside UK. I am also applying for naturlisation and because of the processing time, I may not be able to get the British Citizenship before the baby is born. What will be the next procedure to get British Citizenship for my baby since it will be born outside UK.

Xzibit1

Post by Xzibit1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:36 pm

When you do get British Citizenship, then you will be able to register your child as a British Citizen. I think you need to do it within a set time frame, I would advise you do it ASAP, as soon as you become a BC.

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:17 pm

Hello, first of all congratulations and I hope everything goes well for yous.

The baby born outside UK will not be a british by birth. You will need to apply an ILE (indefinite leave to enter) visa for your new born baby. The application processing time varies from country to country and can be upto three months from the date you lodge your application so do check in advance.

Once you are back in UK, you can include your baby when you or your wife apply for naturalization. It will be a section 3(1) application and is a discretion. The guidance notes say that discretion is normally applied when one partner is a british citizen and the other one holds an ILR. The advantage of this application is, once approved your baby will be a british citizen other wise by decent and your grand children will be british by birth even when born outside UK.

If on the other hand you do get naturalized before your baby is born, then she will be a british citizen by birth (by decent). In that case you need to register the birith with british embassy or consulate and get her a british passport. The only draw back in this case will be that your baby will be a british citizen by decent and your grand children will not be british unless born in UK. So I would recommend that you wait till your baby is back in uk and then apply for naturalization for yourself.

Best of luck for coming weeks and months.