ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Court2
England

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Court2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Interesting reply back from the London Embassy, seems to confirm what last few posters have said about all applications going straight to Dublin now, copied and pasted some of the email below.

"Thank you for contacting the Embassy of Ireland, London.

All Foreign Birth Registration applications are now processed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Dublin. Your email has been forwarded to Dublin for direct reply to you."

As far as I know my application was processed under the now previous system, spent a few months in London, had what I assume was some form of a check before I was emailed from London to say it went to Dublin.

I thought that was good progress at the time and hopefully within the 6 month window I'd have something back by March this year but it seems if everyone is submitting direct to Dublin now it's just in a pile with all the others! :roll:

Stephen_W
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Stephen_W » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:37 pm

spelga51 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:23 pm

In the meanwhile, I've got physical copies of the Irish passport form ready to be completed when I finally get my FBR certificate. I'm planning ahead. Glasgow has a fast-processing office so hopefully it won't take too long to get my Irish passport. It's just a waiting game now.
Spelga51, how long did your passport application form take to arrive from when you requested it online?

Bagpuss
Newly Registered
England

Post by Bagpuss » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Hello everyone. I've been following the discussion, which has been very informative.

Here is my timeline

Applied as a joint fbr application for my two sons in August 18
Paperwork sent by special delivery to London embassy on 11/08/18, signed for on 13/08/18.

I heard nothing at all after that. Curiosity/ impatience got the better of me and I emailed the embassy on 13/12/18. They replied the following day, and told me both applications have been sent to Dublin for processing and are at an advanced stage on the system.

I'm approaching the six month point soon. Best wishes to all who are also waiting.

Bagpuss

Stephen_W
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Stephen_W » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:30 pm

spelga51 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:23 pm

In the meanwhile, I've got physical copies of the Irish passport form ready to be completed when I finally get my FBR certificate. I'm planning ahead. Glasgow has a fast-processing office so hopefully it won't take too long to get my Irish passport. It's just a waiting game now.
Spelga51, how long did your passport application form take to arrive from when you requested it online?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:16 pm

Hi all,

I am still waiting on the FBR certificate to arrive. As Chinese New year is now underway, I have to resign myself to at least another 2 weeks of waiting.

Stephen-W
I requested a passport application form via the embassy online contact form. I sent it on Friday morning and 2x forms arrived in the post by courier on Saturday. I was shocked by the efficiency of that. I have the form all filled out and awaiting the FBR certificate arrival.

danmur
Newly Registered

Post by danmur » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:51 pm

danmur wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm
Hello all,

Been reading for a while and thought I would post my timeline and see if anyone is similar or if it helps anyone out!

22/08/18 - Online application completed + sent to Edinburgh.
28/08/18 - Email from Edinburgh consulate asking for an additional part of my parents wedding certificate.
22/11/18 - Sent an email asking for an update
5/12/18 - received an email from DFA with the standard “The current estimated turnaround for foreign birth registration is six months”

Thinking of leaving it until end of February if I haven’t heard anything and give them a phone to see if there is any progress!
Hello all,

Chap from the postman to sign for a special delivery from Dublin!

Date on my certificate was 17-12-18 and jsut received in post today 2-2-19. This takes me just under the six months and I had a few issues in between with veryfiying documents.

Had asked for a passport application form during my FBR process and I also got one in the envelope with my certificate and supporting documents.

I’m going to go into Glasgow this week and get my passport completed. I had read previous regarding the photos being a different size required for an Irish passport could someone please advise?

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and hopefully I can help.

Thanks.

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jpauls » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:34 pm

danmur wrote:

I had read previous regarding the photos being a different size required for an Irish passport could someone please advise?
Photo sizes are different for the US and Ireland. I believe Ireland and the UK require the same size photos so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:05 am
Michael123 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 am
I am going to call the city clerk where I was born, ask them if Dublin verifies the submitted documents. If they do, I will ask if mine has been verified. I also have the option of calling where the submitted documents originated.
IMHO, I think the documents your submitted will be fine, and that you just have to wait a bit because of the surge in applications. That link you posted is interesting. In some ways I find it surprising that 50% of applications are incomplete. But then again, you do see questions here about people being asked to submit documents that they didn't originally send with their applications. I think the instructions/requirements are straightforward. So why people don't follow them is a mystery.

If I were still waiting, the Tánaiste's comments about the 50% incomplete applications would have me a bit annoyed. I say that because I submitted everything they requested (as you did). So they probably have to spend more time on applications from people who don't follow the instructions. So even if you follow the rules, your application is going to get delayed because they have to spend more time on someone's incomplete one.
PasadenaTom wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:05 am
Michael123 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 am
I am going to call the city clerk where I was born, ask them if Dublin verifies the submitted documents. If they do, I will ask if mine has been verified. I also have the option of calling where the submitted documents originated.
IMHO, I think the documents your submitted will be fine, and that you just have to wait a bit because of the surge in applications. That link you posted is interesting. In some ways I find it surprising that 50% of applications are incomplete. But then again, you do see questions here about people being asked to submit documents that they didn't originally send with their applications. I think the instructions/requirements are straightforward. So why people don't follow them is a mystery.

If I were still waiting, the Tánaiste's comments about the 50% incomplete applications would have me a bit annoyed. I say that because I submitted everything they requested (as you did). So they probably have to spend more time on applications from people who don't follow the instructions. So even if you follow the rules, your application is going to get delayed because they have to spend more time on someone's incomplete one.

You are correct, I didn’t bother calling. Tom, in your opinion do you think I will be added in the next two weeks?

This coming Thursday will be exactly two weeks until the 6th month (August 21)

With the noted lack of “congrats” emails, I am thinkng that it is possible that Myself, my cousin (8/21) and Liam (8/22) could have already been entered into the fbr and now a USPS Knock knock might be possible.

I have USPS informed delivery, I receive an email every day at 4am showing pictures and tracking numbers that will be delivered that day. So, If There is any order at all, I can give Liam a note telling him to stay home from work to sign for the package lol

zippy12
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by zippy12 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 pm

danmur wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:51 pm
danmur wrote:

Hello all,

Date on my certificate was 17-12-18 and jsut received in post today 2-2-19. This takes me just under the six months and I had a few issues in between with veryfiying documents.

Had asked for a passport application form during my FBR process and I also got one in the envelope with my certificate and supporting documents.

I’m going to go into Glasgow this week and get my passport completed. I had read previous regarding the photos being a different size required for an Irish passport could someone please advise?

Thanks.
Hi,

If you're going to Glasgow, I would recommend going to SnappySnaps in Byres Road, close to Hillhead Subway station who can provide the correct size photos for your passport. You can have your photos done in black and white or colour. I think it was £8.99 for the required 4 photos/

I would also recommend using the Passport Express service at the West Nile Street, Glasgow post office which is one of only two post office in the UK (the other is is Liverpool) which provides this service.

They will check your application to make sure everything is correct before sending it off.
The cost of the service is £11 over and above the £70 fee. This includes sending the passport back to you along with all the documents you submitted with your application. Your application and documents are sent directly to Cork for processing and not London as previously. I was advised by the PO clerk in Glasgow that this process would take 3 weeks- I asked if this lead time included first applications and was told yes, it did.
I submitted my application on the 21 Jan - and at the moment, the web passport tracking app (https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/) says that my passport should be issued on the 15th Feb. Fingers crossed. :D

Regards,
Zippy12

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 am

Michael123 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm
Tom, in your opinion do you think I will be added in the next two weeks?
I think what your posted about the Tánaiste's response to a question on FBR processing times is as good an assessment of what is going on at DFA now as you'll ever get. But it's still a bit too "fuzzy". "Approximately six months to process a complete Foreign Birth Registration application" suggests that you should be close, because I assume your application would be considered complete. But what does "approximately" mean? Plus or minus a couple of weeks? And since there doesn't seem to be any consistency about letting people know when they have been added to the FBR, it's possible you might have been added, but won't find out until the certificate arrives in the mail (maybe two weeks later).

This will soon be over. But I know it is maddening (though you've waited longer than me).

I know it doesn't affect me, but I still find it annoying that DFA receives so many incomplete applications, and that the numbers of those have increased. I take that to mean that applicants that follow the instructions end up paying the price for those that either didn't bother to read them, or thought omitting a required document was somehow OK. They waste DFA staff time, because DFA has to contact the applicant to request missing material. Read the instructions people. It's not that mysterious.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:48 am

PasadenaTom wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 am
Michael123 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm
Tom, in your opinion do you think I will be added in the next two weeks?
I think what your posted about the Tánaiste's response to a question on FBR processing times is as good an assessment of what is going on at DFA now as you'll ever get. But it's still a bit too "fuzzy". "Approximately six months to process a complete Foreign Birth Registration application" suggests that you should be close, because I assume your application would be considered complete. But what does "approximately" mean? Plus or minus a couple of weeks? And since there doesn't seem to be any consistency about letting people know when they have been added to the FBR, it's possible you might have been added, but won't find out until the certificate arrives in the mail (maybe two weeks later).

This will soon be over. But I know it is maddening (though you've waited longer than me).

I know it doesn't affect me, but I still find it annoying that DFA receives so many incomplete applications, and that the numbers of those have increased. I take that to mean that applicants that follow the instructions end up paying the price for those that either didn't bother to read them, or thought omitting a required document was somehow OK. They waste DFA staff time, because DFA has to contact the applicant to request missing material. Read the instructions people. It's not that mysterious.

Thanks,Tom. Just bad timing with the office move and staffing issue.

I am at 5 months and 14 days... the wait continues to continue!

sean015
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sean015 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Passport Update: I submitted the passport application in person at the New York consulate. They took my FBR and birth certificate and made copies and handed the originals back to me, and then they told me it would be about 8 weeks to receive the passport. I have the tracking number but I am not in the system yet.

There must have been a slowdown in FBR's being issued if Michael123 and others around that time are still waiting; I must have just got in before this occurred or else I got very lucky. I wonder if some people are purposely submitting incomplete documents to just get in the queue and then plan on submitting documents as they actually receive them. I remember it took me a while to actually get a copy of my grandfather's marriage certificate from the Northern Ireland record office. I had a church record, but they needed the civil one.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Sean015,
Thanks for your update. Like Michael123 my FBR applications were received in August but am still waiting for approval. Hoping for good news soon.
Best of Luck on your Passport Application!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:09 pm

upliam wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:14 pm
Sean015,
Thanks for your update. Like Michael123 my FBR applications were received in August but am still waiting for approval. Hoping for good news soon.

Liam,
Sean’s application was delievered on 8/2 and was approved in December! Another applicant’s application was also delivered on 8/2 and he was also approved in December. There was a 6 day difference between them getting the “congratulations” email.

I hoping soon, Ill be at the 6th month in about 2 weeks and you will be the day after.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:09 pm
upliam wrote:
Sean015,

Liam,
Sean’s application was delievered on 8/2 and was approved in December! Another applicant’s application was also delivered on 8/2 and he was also approved in December. There was a 6 day difference between them getting the “congratulations” email.

I hoping soon, Ill be at the 6th month in about 2 weeks and you will be the day after.
Michael, Thanks for that information.
Do you know of anyone else on this forum that has a FBR Application received in Dublin between Sean and you?
I have not seen any recent updates posted on here.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Yes, there was another, her application was delivered to Dublin on 8/17. Her last post said she was going to call Dublin and pist thr results. She never posted again. I had quoted her post (so she would get a notification) and asked for thr results twice, she never replied.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:10 pm

danmur wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:51 pm
danmur wrote:
Hello all,

Been reading for a while and thought I would post my timeline and see if anyone is similar or if it helps anyone out!

22/08/18 - Online application completed + sent to Edinburgh.
28/08/18 - Email from Edinburgh consulate asking for an additional part of my parents wedding certificate.
22/11/18 - Sent an email asking for an update
5/12/18 - received an email from DFA with the standard “The current estimated turnaround for foreign birth registration is six months”

Thinking of leaving it until end of February if I haven’t heard anything and give them a phone to see if there is any progress!
Hello all,

Thanks.

Liam, this application was delivered after ours but somehow he has already recieved his FBR certificate in the mail.

Are they now prioritizing UK applicants??
my cousin (also an applicant) has not even recieved a status update when she inquired by email back in December.

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jpauls » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:15 pm

sean015 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm
Passport Update: I submitted the passport application in person at the New York consulate. They took my FBR and birth certificate and made copies and handed the originals back to me, and then they told me it would be about 8 weeks to receive the passport. I have the tracking number but I am not in the system yet.
I submitted my application to the NY consulate as well, but by mail. It was received 12/31. They contacted my witness last Tuesday so I'm hoping mine is on its way to Dublin and shows up in the tracking system soon. I'll keep everyone updated when it does. I'm curious to see if it's any faster if you drop it off in person vs. mail it in.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:49 pm

upliam wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:09 pm
upliam wrote:
Sean015,

Liam,

Michael, Thanks for that information.
Do you know of anyone else on this forum that has a FBR Application received in Dublin between Sean and you?
I have not seen any recent updates posted on here.

Koolboy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Koolboy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:34 am

Michael123
I applied in July from London Embassy and I called them again today for any update as I am in my 6 and half months. He told me that actually they had move the office from Dublin to Balbriggan and there are about hundreds of thousands applications which are in the boxes. They will open that boxes after the 2nd week of this month. They hired new staff and from now all the applications will sorted out in Balbriggan. So after the mid of February they will start to open the boxes and then they will start again working on them. Hope this update will help all of us a lot.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Koolboy wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:34 am
Michael123
I applied in July from London Embassy and I called them again today for any update as I am in my 6 and half months. He told me that actually they had move the office from Dublin to Balbriggan and there are about hundreds of thousands applications which are in the boxes. They will open that boxes after the 2nd week of this month. They hired new staff and from now all the applications will sorted out in Balbriggan. So after the mid of February they will start to open the boxes and then they will start again working on them. Hope this update will help all of us a lot.

That is certainly good news that will potentially be processing applications faster. Thank you.

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jpauls » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:45 pm

jpauls wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:15 pm
I submitted my application to the NY consulate as well, but by mail. It was received 12/31. They contacted my witness last Tuesday so I'm hoping mine is on its way to Dublin and shows up in the tracking system soon. I'll keep everyone updated when it does. I'm curious to see if it's any faster if you drop it off in person vs. mail it in.
Imagine that -- it showed up in the tracking system today! It was received by Dublin today (2/6) and has an estimated issue date of 3/15, right before St. Patrick's Day. How fitting :D

shanerjb18s
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by shanerjb18s » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm

I recently submitted my Foreign Birth Registration application, from the USA, to Balbriggan. The Irish government’s website regarding the application process notes that if you’re an expectant parent, you should note that with your application. I am an expectant parent and so noted such with my application.

Any idea about whether expectant parent applications are prioritied or otherwise typically processed faster than 6 months? Because I’m claiming Irish citizenship through my grandparent, the only way for my child to be eligible for Irish citizenship is if I’m a citizen by the time the child is born. The baby’s due date is in May, so I’m wondering if there’s any hope for my application to be complete by then.

Any experiences from others who noted expectancy parent status on their application would be appreciated.

Thanks a million.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:56 pm

shanerjb18s wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm
I recently submitted my Foreign Birth Registration application, from the USA, to Balbriggan. The Irish government’s website regarding the application process notes that if you’re an expectant parent, you should note that with your application. I am an expectant parent and so noted such with my application.

Any idea about whether expectant parent applications are prioritied or otherwise typically processed faster than 6 months? Because I’m claiming Irish citizenship through my grandparent, the only way for my child to be eligible for Irish citizenship is if I’m a citizen by the time the child is born. The baby’s due date is in May, so I’m wondering if there’s any hope for my application to be complete by then.

Any experiences from others who noted expectancy parent status on their application would be appreciated.

Thanks a million.
Shanerjb,
While I do not have direct experience on your situation, there was a link on this thread a week or 2 ago to an article with the following comment from Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs;

"At present it takes approximately six months to process a complete Foreign Birth Registration application. However, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration, it may take up to twelve months to process an application.
Expectant parents who are applying to be entered on the Foreign Birth Register and who wish to ensure that their child is eligible to become an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration should mark this clearly on their application."

You might want to phone Balbriggan and ask if they can prioritize your application.
Good Luck to You.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Agreed. I called today to check the status of my application. I was told that they are still unpacking from the move and that expect to begin processing applications again at the end of this week of beginning of next, the also have hired additional help, the new system will streamline the process for applications but has caused a initial delay with training the new staff and the new system.

The phone system also upgraded, press 2 for english then 1 for passports and 2 for FBR. It also includes a approximate waiting time while on hold and jnforms the caller how many people are in wie ahead of you.

The man I spoke with had a french accent and was courteous, he apologized for the added delay. He went on about how the move, training and new system has caused additional delays but will make future applications faster. He further spoke about the process, it gets examined and if approved then it moves to management, if approved by management it will be printed.

When asked an approximate time, he told me about 3 weeks. If I do NOT hear anything, it is a good sign as confirmation emails are no longer sent and after printing, the certificate and original documents will be mailed to the applicant.

Also while on hold, there was mention of expecting parents, you need proof of the expected delivery date for a child.

Although the office is closed, you can still call and listen to the recorded message that I just described.