ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for under 18 years old

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

naskomj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation for under 18 years old

Post by naskomj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:19 pm

I have the following question.

I know a child can register as a British citizen and I know the rules.

But my question is can a child choose to do naturalization as a British citizen.

Why I want this.
I have a friend she has a daughter which is almost 17.
This girl is 4 years and 2 months in the UK. Her mum is EU citizen with permanent residence.
If the mum changes the PR as settled status ILR, then the daughter automatically can get the ILR from her mum.
So let's say on 10.02.2019 we will have Maria who is 16 years 11 months and 20 days old with ILR.
If Maria can apply for naturalization instead of registration in one year time on 10.02.2020 she will be less than 18 years old and she will become a British citizen without to do Life in the UK and to prove knowledge of English.

What do you think?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation for under 18 years old

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Only adults (18 and over) are NATURALISED - LIUK and English B1 required.

Children under 18 are REGISTERED.

So not sure what your confusion is actually??? :idea: :idea:

Note that the child also has to apply for 'settled' or 'pre-settled' status. It is not automatic if a parent gets it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:28 pm

ILR is not automatic. There must be an application.
Child under 18 cannot naturalise.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Alien2017
United Kingdom

Post by Alien2017 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:06 pm

If the mother changes PR into ILR through settled status now, indeed the child gets it without having 5 years in UK if this you want to achieve, this wasn't previously possible through Permanent Residence (the child would have got it after 5 year in UK herself). Then after 12 months she can register of course, but one of the parents have to apply on the same time if she wasn't born in UK. She can't apply to register if one of the parents does not. One parent at least has to apply with her and the other has to be settled. Hope this is what you are after.

naskomj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by naskomj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:25 pm
Only adults (18 and over) are NATURALISED - LIUK and English B1 required.

Children under 18 are REGISTERED.

So not sure what your confusion is actually??? :idea: :idea:

Note that the child also has to apply for 'settled' or 'pre-settled' status. It is not automatic if a parent gets it.
I know that the child will apply as well, but the child will automatically get it because of her mum.
The confusion is that a the moment you can get British citizen if you are not married to a British Citizen after 5 years for PR/ILR and one year later = 6 years.
If you are under 21 years and you are not married to a British citizen, because of the new law you also can get British Citizenship after 5 years.

You are 17 you get settled status ILR from your parent. You have been in the UK for 3 years.
At age 19 you will have 5 years in the UK and settled status and you will get naturalization after 5 years. Am I right.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:29 pm

I know that the child will apply as well, but the child will automatically get it because of her mum.
The confusion is that a the moment you can get British citizen if you are not married to a British Citizen after 5 years for PR/ILR and one year later = 6 years.
If you are under 21 years and you are not married to a British citizen, because of the new law you also can get British Citizenship after 5 years.
What 'new law' is this that you are referring to?? There has been NO change to the Nationality Laws for 'under 21' applicants.
You are 17 you get settled status ILR from your parent. You have been in the UK for 3 years.
At age 19 you will have 5 years in the UK and settled status and you will get naturalization after 5 years. Am I right.
A child under 18 who is born abroad can only apply for citizenship when either parent does or when one parent is already British. A person 18 years and older requires 5 years residence which must include 1 year on ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

naskomj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by naskomj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:49 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:29 pm
What 'new law' is this that you are referring to?? There has been NO change to the Nationality Laws for 'under 21' applicants.
A child under 18 who is born abroad can only apply for citizenship when either parent does or when one parent is already British. A person 18 years and older requires 5 years residence which must include 1 year on ILR.
Yes but if a child is 18 years( he has been in the UK for 5 years) and she applies for ILR she will get it and she will have to wait 1 year to get naturalized. But if the child gets ILR (settled status from the parent no the 4th year) when she is 17, when she is 18 she will get naturalized a year earlier.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 pm

naskomj wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:49 pm
Yes but if a child is 18 years( he has been in the UK for 5 years) and she applies for ILR she will get it and she will have to wait 1 year to get naturalized. But if the child gets ILR (settled status from the parent no the 4th year) when she is 17, when she is 18 she will get naturalized a year earlier.
I have no idea what you are trying to say. You seem confused or not articulating your message clearly.

An applicant under 18 (ie not 18 yet) registering as British on form MN1, can only do so when EITHER parent is also applying for citizenship OR one parent is already British and in both cases, the other parent at least holds ILR. There is only a 2 year requirement for a child under 18 to register as British and no requirement to hold ILR for 12 months, BUT the parent applying at same time or already British is mandatory. So if the parents don't apply for citizenship, neither can she as the parents have the mandatory 12 months on ILR to wait.

A person who is 18 or older applying MUST have 5 years residence which must INCLUDE 12 months on ILR (so effectively 6 years in total).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

naskomj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by naskomj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:04 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 pm
naskomj wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:49 pm
I have no idea what you are trying to say. You seem confused or not articulating your message clearly.

An applicant under 18 (ie not 18 yet) registering as British on form MN1, can only do so when EITHER parent is also applying for citizenship OR one parent is already British and in both cases, the other parent at least holds ILR. There is only a 2 year requirement for a child under 18 to register as British and no requirement to hold ILR for 12 months, BUT the parent applying at same time or already British is mandatory. So if the parents don't apply for citizenship, neither can she as the parents have the mandatory 12 months on ILR to wait.

A person who is 18 or older applying MUST have 5 years residence which must INCLUDE 12 months on ILR (so effectively 6 years in total).
The parent of the child is not British, so the child which is 17 can't register. The parent is now with PR, So the child who lives here for 4 years, can get now settled status because of the parent. The child will get the status when her mother exchanges the PR to Settled status. Then the child applies for settled status and gets the settled status now on the 4th year. Then one-year latter the child will be with ILR. One year after the ILR he can get naturalization, as the child will be then 18 and will be 5 years in UK. As I am aware before child which is not 5 years in the UK will not be able to get own PR because of the parent. But now a child can get IL after a few weeks in the UK.

What I am trying to say that you can get naturalization if you are under 20 for 5 years stay not 6 as before with PR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm

What I am trying to say that you can get naturalization if you are under 20 for 5 years stay not 6 as before with PR.
It is still effectively 6 years stay. Please don't confuse the 5 year ILR/PR requirement with the 5 year citizenship requirement for over 18 applicants. Citizenship qualifying period is counted backwards 5 years from date of application and must include 1 year on ILR or PR for over 18 applicants naturalisation, which requires Liuk and English B1.

I don't know why you keep referring to this under 20 issue. It really is not a blanket thing. It might only be specific to the case you are trying to explain, which is why I asked what new law for under 21 you were referring to.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

naskomj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by naskomj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:23 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm
It is still effectively 6 years stay. Please don't confuse the 5 year ILR/PR requirement with the 5 year citizenship requirement for over 18 applicants. Citizenship qualifying period is counted backwards 5 years from date of application and must include 1 year on ILR or PR for over 18 applicants naturalisation, which requires Liuk and English B1.

I don't know why you keep referring to this under 20 issue. It really is not a blanket thing. It might only be specific to the case you are trying to explain, which is why I asked what new law for under 21 you were referring to.
Sorry I will try to explain again.
Sonya comes in the UK 2013 she is from Poland. In 2018 she gets PR. Her daughter Martha comes in in the UK March 2014 at age 14. In March 2019 Martha will be 19 years old and she will have 5 years in the UK. Now Sonya is changing her PR to settled status. Next day Martha apply for settle status and gets it as her mum is with settled status ILR. So March 2019 Martha will have ILR and 5 years in the UK and she can apply for naturalisation after 5 years in the UK, not 6.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:40 pm

She still needs to hold ILR for 12 month, this is mandatory, so again, it will be 6 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

naskomj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by naskomj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:40 pm
She still needs to hold ILR for 12 month, this is mandatory, so again, it will be 6 years.
I changed the dates, now it should work?
Sonya comes in the UK 2013 she is from Poland. In 2018 she gets PR. Her daughter Martha comes in in the UK March 2015 at age 14. In March 2019 Martha will be 19 years old and she will have 4 years in the UK. Now February, Sonya is changing her PR to settled status. Next day Martha apply for settle status and gets it as her mum is with settled status ILR. So March 2020 Martha will have ILR and 5 years in the UK and 1 year after her ILR, she can apply for naturalisation after 5 years in the UK, not 6.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Correct yes, with Liuk and English.

Not quite the same scenario as your original post about registration of an under 18 year old though.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

naskomj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by naskomj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:34 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:29 pm
Correct yes, with Liuk and English.

Not quite the same scenario as your original post about registration of an under 18 year old though.
Yes, I understood. I wondered if there is a way to do Naturalisation for under 18 instead of registration, and I found there is no way as registration is the only way.