ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit - Residence Card - Unmarried Partner

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jayjaymes
Newly Registered
New Zealand

EEA Family Permit - Residence Card - Unmarried Partner

Post by jayjaymes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi there,

I came to the UK on my EEA family permit and one month ago sent my documents off to the home office to apply for my residence card as an unmarried partner. They sent back my receipt which stated that - because I did not provide enough original documents - at this time I cannot work until they make a decision on my application. I have a few key questions which I have so far been unable to find answers:

1. If there is someone else who also received the 'not enough original documents' letter - how long did the result take (can it really take up to 6 months!? Without being able to work!?)... And what was your result?
+ Will still be interested to know how long on average unmarried partner EEA residence card applications take.

2. Can they just wait for brexit to happen (it will be well within the 6 months decision period) and just reject my application come the split from the EU?

3. They sent me an e-mail and letter acknowledging that my application is under consideration, how will they let me know of the result (assuming they don't need any more documents)?

Thank you for your time!

J.

tahlia0114
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: EEA Family Permit - Residence Card - Unmarried Partner

Post by tahlia0114 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi J,

This is my second time around for Unmarried Partner Residence Card (first one is about to expire).

1. It sounds like we received the same letter :) Not to worry, I believe it’s just a template they use! The RC CAN take UP TO 6 months, mine only took 7 weeks last time (‘up to 6 months’ was the time given then too). I DID have to stop work last time, but that was because of my bad timing!
2. You’ve submitted your application - you’re fine.
3. Yes, I got the email too. When it’s all done they’ll post the documents back to you with the result. RC will come in the mail after :wink:

Until then, I’m playing the waiting game with you!

awt1031
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by awt1031 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:22 pm

Hello! I am in a similar situation, currently in the UK on a family permit that expires in July. I was just wondering if you've been advised at all to wait until the Settlement Scheme opens? Or that you needed a residence card for that? My original plan was to return & immediately apply for a residence card, but am a little confused with the new scheme opening in March & all residence cards not being valid after December 2020.

tahlia0114
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by tahlia0114 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:47 pm

tahlia0114 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:31 pm
Hi J,

This is my second time around for Unmarried Partner Residence Card (first one is about to expire).

1. It sounds like we received the same letter :) Not to worry, I believe it’s just a template they use! The RC CAN take UP TO 6 months, mine only took 7 weeks last time (‘up to 6 months’ was the time given then too). I DID have to stop work last time, but that was because of my bad timing!
3. Yes, I got the email too. When it’s all done they’ll post the documents back to you with the result. RC will come in the mail after :wink:

Update: ALL DOCUMENTS RETURNED TODAY (dated 30 January) ALONG WITH APPROVAL LETTER! BRC will arrive in the next 10 working days :)

jayjaymes
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by jayjaymes » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:56 pm

awt1031 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:22 pm
Hello! I am in a similar situation, currently in the UK on a family permit that expires in July. I was just wondering if you've been advised at all to wait until the Settlement Scheme opens? Or that you needed a residence card for that? My original plan was to return & immediately apply for a residence card, but am a little confused with the new scheme opening in March & all residence cards not being valid after December 2020.
Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately I haven't had much official/professional advice, from my experience it's impossible to find concrete answers as there are so many conflicting statements... especially with brexit on the horizon where noone really knows what's happening. I was told by the Home Office phone customer service to simply watch the news for updates.....

Anyway, from what I can gather, you and your family member can apply for a settlement together without a residence card, but in my naive opinion a residence card would certainly help your case considering they have already decided on your eligibility for residence. And yes, the RC would not be valid after 2020, but at least by then you have more documents for proof of eligibility for the Settlement Scheme. Open for someone to come and correct me!

jayjaymes
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by jayjaymes » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:58 pm

tahlia0114 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:47 pm
tahlia0114 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:31 pm
Hi J,

Update: ALL DOCUMENTS RETURNED TODAY (dated 30 January) ALONG WITH APPROVAL LETTER! BRC will arrive in the next 10 working days :)
Congrats!! How long was the wait this time? Second to the person above's question - did you feel it was necessary to apply for another residence card as opposed to applying for the 'settlement scheme'?

awt1031
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by awt1031 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Thanks for the advice! I've only been to a free advice centre, as hiring a solicitor is extremely expensive. They helped me with my family permit, so I might reach out to them again.

Would also be curious to know how long it took tahlia0114 to receive her RC. I don't want to apply for a RC at this point with documents I could use for the settlement scheme. I'm just not sure if having a RC is looked upon better than having a family permit, or if it doesn't really matter for the scheme. I suppose no one really knows...

jayjaymes
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by jayjaymes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Just got my residence card and documents back! The whole process took surprisingly only 6-7 weeks. The card says its valid for 5 years but the gov.uk website says all RC will be expired after December 2020, this should give a bit of breathing room and time to apply for the settlement scheme.