ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 Months Visa Free In the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ximon
United States of America

6 Months Visa Free In the UK?

Post by Ximon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:13 am

I read that as an American tourist, a person can visit the UK for up to 6 months. However, I also read that if you first enter Ireland and transit to the UK you will get an EU stamp in your passport that only allows you to visit the UK for 3 months. This is due to the Travel Common Area which allows you to transit between Ireland and the UK without a passport check. In other words, you will not enter UK soil with a UK stamp in your passport, only an Irish stamp.

Does anyone have experience with this rule? Is this rule in place even if you are merely changing planes at e.g. Dublin Airport for a plane to the UK without leaving the airport?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: 6 Months Visa Free In the UK?

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:55 am

The CTA does not come under EU regulations - it is an historical arrangement for the benefit of Irish and British citizen.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ximon
United States of America

Re: 6 Months Visa Free In the UK?

Post by Ximon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Not sure how that answers my question but thanks anyway.