ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maternity allowance on Dependent Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sam123

Maternity allowance on Dependent Visa

Post by Sam123 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi all, I am here on WP, my wife is a self employed running a small business. She is registered with Tax office, paying all NI etc.Now she is expecting our baby, she was told by job centre plus to apply for Maternity allowance. I am just wondering is she allowed to apply for this? If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks
sam
Last edited by Sam123 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:55 pm

I think she is not allowed to have that allowance. Since it is a sort of public fund.

Sam123

Post by Sam123 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks for the reply, but she is on dependent WP Visa and paying all the taxes? Is anyone here please who can advise me on this issue.

Thanks
Sam123

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Rule is same for everyone who is on temporary leave whether student, student dependent, WP holder, or WP dependent.... and whether you work or not...

mama
Newly Registered

Post by mama » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:43 pm

I am a WP holder since 2003 and am currently on maternity leave. I received maternity pay upto 39 weeks of my maternity leave. Maternity pay is not part of public funds since it is paid out of the National Insurance Contributions that one makes. I have an email from the Home Office that confirms that Maternity Pay (both SMP and CMP) is not part of public funds. You can find the complete list of public funds on the HM Revenue and Customs website and Maternity pay is not part of it.
I am not sure if Maternity allowance is the same as Maternity pay. And I am also not sure about those on dependant WP visas. So we may be talking about different things completely.
Someone more qualified than me can probably clarify??

mama
Newly Registered

Post by mama » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 pm

Please see below link on Home Office website for detailed list of public funds. Also there is a leaflet called "No recourse to public funds" that gives more details.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresi ... blicfunds/