ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Interesting case - Proof of cohabitation

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

xkcdcode
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Dependent's eligibility for ILR application if their 5 years are spent on different types of dependent visas

Post by xkcdcode » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Me and my spouse came to UK in September 2010 on Tier 4 (Gen) and Tier 4 (Dependent) visas, respectively. In March 2014, I shifted to a Tier 2 (Gen) visa, but my spouse stayed on Tier 4 (Dependent) as it was still valid till September 2015. In September 2015, my spouse shifted to Tier 2 (Dependent).

I am due to apply for ILR in March 2019 (5 years in UK), but my spouse is worried as she thinks her time in UK on a Tier 2 (Dependent) is not 5 years yet. Now, the gov.uk site says:
Your partner may qualify if all of the following apply:

- they have permission to be in the UK as your partner
- they’ve been living in the UK with you for at least 2 years if they applied before 9 July 2012 or 5 years if they applied on or after 9 July 2012
- your relationship is genuine
- you intend to continue living together
- you have enough income to support yourselves and your dependants
- you’re not using public funds
So what I understand from above is that the only time qualification required for her is to be living in the UK with me for at least 5 years (which she has been), not that those 5 years were on a single type of visa. Is that correct?

She has more faith in this forum than my logic, so please reply to this question :oops: Thanks in advance!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Dependent's eligibility for ILR application if their 5 years are spent on different types of dependent visas

Post by zimba » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 pm

There is NO such a thing as a Tier 1 dependant, Tier 4 dependant, ...etc visa. There is only 'PBS dependant' visa.
All the time spent under any PBS dependat visa counts towards ILR, assuming the main applicant (you) is granted ILR under a PBS Tier.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

xkcdcode
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Same day and return for time outside the UK

Post by xkcdcode » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:01 am

Hi All,

I am applying for ILR online, and filling in my travel history for time spent outside UK. I am having an issue on the site related to one travel item, where I went to Brussels, Belgium and came back to UK on the same day. But the site is not accepting the same day travel and return as a valid input, and gives error message "enter an end date that is after the start date".

Did anyone else have this issue? Any idea what to do here will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/S5l4r9R

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Same day and return for time outside the UK

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Probably due to the fact that if you left and returned on the same day, you weren't considered to be absent from the UK on that date. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

xkcdcode
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by xkcdcode » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi Casa,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I hope that's the case, but I do have immigration stamps on my passport that clearly show me leaving and entering UK through St. Pancras station. That's why I am concerned about it, as the form says to fill in any absences, 'however short'! :?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 pm

xkcdcode wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:01 pm
Hi Casa,

I hope that's the case, but I do have immigration stamps on my passport that clearly show me leaving and entering UK through St. Pancras station. That's why I am concerned about it, as the form says to fill in any absences, 'however short'! :?
The day of departure and day of arrival is not counted for UK absence, so this particular absence will not be counted and you dont need to list it. Even if you returned next day it would not have counted.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

xkcdcode
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by xkcdcode » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:58 pm

tier11417 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 pm
xkcdcode wrote:
Hi Casa,

The day of departure and day of arrival is not counted for UK absence, so this particular absence will not be counted and you dont need to list it. Even if you returned next day it would not have counted.
Hi Tier,

No, it is accepting one day absences in the online application form. I just tried it with 02/03/2015 and 03/03/2015 as the start and end dates and the site accepted that! :evil:

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:30 pm

xkcdcode wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:58 pm
tier11417 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 pm
xkcdcode wrote:
Hi Casa,

Hi Tier,

No, it is accepting one day absences in the online application form. I just tried it with 02/03/2015 and 03/03/2015 as the start and end dates and the site accepted that! :evil:
As far as I know the departure and arrival days are not counted. Only the duration between the departure and arrival days are counted.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/absent-days- ... 20874.html

👺
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:35 pm

xkcdcode
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by xkcdcode » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 am

Thanks for this reference, makes sense now. I will not mention my same day outing in the application :lol:

xkcdcode
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Interesting case - Proof of cohabitation

Post by xkcdcode » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Hi Gurus,

I got my first Tier 2 General in April 2014, and since then I have applied for and gotten 6 more Tier 2 General visas due to job changes. The last Tier 2 was obtained in April 2017.

I am now applying for ILR with my spouse, as our five years are up. In the Set(O) online application form, it asks to provide "documentary evidence of cohabitation since you were last granted leave (up to a maximum of two years)". The "since you were last granted leave" part is confusing me!

Does this mean since the last time Tier 2 was granted to us, that is April 2017, or does it mean since the period Tier 2 started, that is April 2014? I'll be very grateful for insightful/experienced member's feedback :)

Thanks in advance,

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Interesting case - Proof of cohabitation

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:18 pm

xkcdcode wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:59 pm
Hi Gurus,

I got my first Tier 2 General in April 2014, and since then I have applied for and gotten 6 more Tier 2 General visas due to job changes. The last Tier 2 was obtained in April 2017.

I am now applying for ILR with my spouse, as our five years are up. In the Set(O) online application form, it asks to provide "documentary evidence of cohabitation since you were last granted leave (up to a maximum of two years)". The "since you were last granted leave" part is confusing me!

Does this mean since the last time Tier 2 was granted to us, that is April 2017, or does it mean since the period Tier 2 started, that is April 2014? I'll be very grateful for insightful/experienced member's feedback :)

Thanks in advance,
Your last leave grant is Tier 2. You need 2 years of cohabitation prior to the date of application. For example if you apply in March 2019. March 2017 - March 2019.