ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is ILR mandatory for children

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

venkat2010
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Is ILR mandatory for children

Post by venkat2010 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:54 am

Hello,

I came to this counry in March 2010 on tier1 general visa. I got ILR in March 2015. Later got naturalisation certificate and passport as well.

My wife and 2 sons (8 years and 5 years. Both born in India) came to this country in June 2014 on tier1 general dependant visa. Later on March 2015 when I got ILR they became ILR dependants.

Please can you help me with the below question.

By June 2019 my wife and children complete 5 years in this country. In case of children do I need to apply for thier ILR? Can I apply for their naturalisation directly? One of my neighbour when he was applying for naturalisation (his wife and children didn't have ILR by that time and they didn't complete 5 years in this country), he applied for his children as well and got the naturalisation certficate and passport for him and his children.

Thanks in advance,
Venkat.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Is ILR mandatory for children

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:00 am

Children born abroad are expected to hold ILR before they can apply for citizenship.

If your dependents switched to flr m in 2015, they will only qualify for ILR in 2020.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 am

venkat2010 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:54 am
One of my neighbour when he was applying for naturalisation (his wife and children didn't have ILR by that time and they didn't complete 5 years in this country), he applied for his children as well and got the naturalisation certficate and passport for him and his children.
Were the children of your neighbour born in the UK?

For children born abroad, read from Page 27 of the Registration of children as British citizen guidance.
Page 30 of the document linked to above wrote:As a general principle, the expectation is that there should be a staged approach to permanent residence and citizenship. This means that the child will first achieve one of the following before being considered for British citizenship:

• indefinite leave (IL)
• permanent residence under the European Economic Area (EEA) regulations

Given this you should normally only register a child under section 3(1) who has not been granted IL or permanent residence where there are strong compelling compassionate circumstances to do so.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

venkat2010
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by venkat2010 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:15 pm

My neighbor's children were born in India.

kautya

Post by kautya » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:07 pm

venkat2010 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:15 pm
When did the neighbours wife and children come to the UK and when did they get their entry visa ?

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 pm

venkat2010 wrote:
Its seems interesting. Would you please tell us more about their journey and success, this would help others. I have seen few posts where children are registered without ILR but its on discretionary basis.

khan_80
Pakistan

Post by khan_80 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:11 pm

venkat2010 wrote:
Hi Venkat
Can you please get and share more information from your neighbor when did they apply. Also when they were applying for Their own and wife Citizenship, they applied for their Kids with them as well while kids not having ILR ?

I have read this as well that By Home Secretary discretion Kids Born abroad can get Citizenship with out ILR but not sure in which case the discretion will be used?