ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to test English again?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wxyuanilr

Need to test English again?

Post by wxyuanilr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 am

My wife applied for a family visa as partner of a person settled in the UK in 2014 using her Cambridge PET certificate (Level B2 obtained in December 2013) to fulfil the English language requirement. She was able to extend her visa in December 2016 using that certificate again even though Cambridge PET was no longer an approved test at that time, as Paragraph 32D of Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE says:
"If an applicant applying for limited leave to enter or remain under Part 8 or Appendix FM submits an English language test certificate or result and the Home Office has already accepted it as part of a successful previous partner or parent application (but not where the application was refused, even if on grounds other than the English language requirement), the decision-maker will accept that certificate or result as valid if it is: (a) from a provider which is no longer approved".
She will complete her 5-year stay on the family visa this summer and will apply for ILR. I wondered whether there's a similar rule as Paragraph 32D of Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE for ILR, so that she can still use her Cambridge PET certificate for her ILR application?

Chiligee
Newly Registered
Kenya

Re: Need to test English again?

Post by Chiligee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi,
We had a similar issue and my wife had taken her IELTS SELT test in 2013, used the same cert for further leave and then used it for ILR, which she got 18.02.2019. Please check if her test centre is in the link.

However, I found the below information and used this in my cover letter:

"My IELTS English test certificate which was initially used for entry clearance as a spouse into the UK, and subsequently for further leave to remain in the same category in 2016. The English test result would be accepted under paragraph 32D of Appendix FM-SE as it had been accepted as part of a successful previous application.
The IELTS SELT (for all IELTS facets) test centre number IN855 is valid on the latest list of providers at the below link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ebsite.pdf

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bizman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:32 am

I don’t think you need to test English again, just include this indicated rule above in your cover letter and you should be fine.
Bizman

Chiligee
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by Chiligee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:31 pm

I actually found the link where it states you dont need to do another TEST but there are exceptions ie if for ILR then:

LINK: https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

If your qualification has run out
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.

Applying to settle in the UK

You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:
  • it’s on the current list of recognised tests
      it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter
    Applying for citizenship
    You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

It does not matter if the B1 level test you took is not on the current list of recognised tests. You do not need to take another test.