ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What If I have enough savings for visitor (visa) but unemployed for the last 9 months?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Theone999
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Which visa should I apply?

Post by Theone999 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:26 pm

My wedding will take place in July 2019 and would like to invite my aunt to take part in the ceremony. She lives in Sri Lanka and hold a Sri Lankan passport, whereas I'm a British citizen.

I used the "check if you need a visa" tool from the gov.uk site to identify which Visa I should apply for but I'am a bit puzzled after using the tool.

When I mentioned that she will be visiting the family, it states I should apply for the EEA family permit, in her case it would be an EEA extended family permit but to qualify:

"You must be able to show that you’re dependent on the EEA citizen or are a member of their household, or have a serious health condition and rely on them to care for you". - from the gov.uk site

She does not depend on me neither she have any health conditions. So I'm left with proving that she is a member of my household, but this will get very complex as she is my mother's sister so will need to send my birth certificate, my mother's certificate as well as my aunt's certificate.

If I state that she won't be visiting any family then it state that I should apply for Standard visitor visa, which seems better in my honest opinion.

So I'm not sure which visa I should apply for her. Please advice.

FYI- she will only stay here for maximum of 30 days.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Which visa should I apply?

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm

She applies for a standard visitor visa.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Theone999
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Theone999 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:19 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm
She applies for a standard visitor visa.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa
Thank you CR001 for the prompt reply.

Theone999
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

What If I have enough savings for visitor (visa) but unemployed for the last 9 months?

Post by Theone999 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:11 am

Hello All,

I'm trying to invite my aunt (From Sri Lanka) to attend my wedding in the UK, so she will be applying for a standard visitor visa. I'll be funding her for everything (i.e. travel, accommodation, etc..). I have enough savings to support her and myself during her visit. However, I'm currently unemployed so will not be able to submit my payslips. Could this be an issue in obtaining a visa for her? Should I even bother trying? Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: What If I have enough savings for visitor (visa) but unemployed for the last 9 months?

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:34 am

Unless you have very substantial savings that would negate access to state benefits then you are basically wasting your time applying for your aunt to visit. Essentially as you are fully sponsoring her you need to be able to demonstrate that affordability is not an issue to a degree that it would be unreasonable to argue against it. Eg £50k in the bank probably gets you there.

On top of that your aunt would need to have strong reasons to return, land / property/ job / family members etc. Better still a record of visiting the UK in the past or other countries showing she returns after such visits.

If she is retired / non working, no property and little or no family back home her chances of getting the visa is low to no in any case.

arcelli ann
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by arcelli ann » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:57 pm

She needs Standard Visitors visa....
Eea family permit if you are an EU/EEA citizen..
But you said you are a british citizen...
AND even if you are an EEA/EU citizen, your aunt cant qualify... only your parents, grandparents, your children or spouse/partner.