ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of living in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mengo

Spouse's BC application after main applicant becomes BC

Post by mengo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Dear members,

Although I see a post in "Citizenship FAQs" area, I am not very clear. Could anyone guide me for the situation below?

So, I am applying to BC within weeks after living in UK on T2G after 7 years (received ILR Feb 18) and hopefully will become BC in a few months time. However, my wife in still on dependent visa and will be about 4 years when I become BC. My question is, once I become BC, can she apply for BC on the basis that she lives in UK in last 3 years and already wife of BC?

Thanks in advance.

Original post from "Citizenship FAQs":
"Q2: My spouse was granted ILR as a dependant. When can he/she apply?

Once a dependant is granted ILR, he/she is not a dependant any more. For naturalisation, each applicant needs to meet the requirements (including the 5 years residence period).

If one applicant meets the 5 years residence requirement but the spouse doesn’t, then once the applicant is granted BC (after the citizenship ceremony), the spouse becomes a spouse of BC and can apply for naturalisation under the 3 years residence requirements. "

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse's BC application after main applicant becomes BC

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:59 pm

My question is, once I become BC, can she apply for BC on the basis that she lives in UK in last 3 years and already wife of BC?
No she cannot. She needs ILR before she can apply for citizenship and she needs 5 years residence before she can apply for ILR.

Once she has ILR she can apply if you are British and she meets the 4 year residence requitments.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mengo

Post by mengo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:24 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:59 pm
My question is, once I become BC, can she apply for BC on the basis that she lives in UK in last 3 years and already wife of BC?
No she cannot. She needs ILR before she can apply for citizenship and she needs 5 years residence before she can apply for ILR.

Once she has ILR she can apply if you are British and she meets the 4 year residence requitments.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am

ILR is mandatory before she can apply for British citizenship, regardless of how long she has been in the UK or the 3 year requirement stated in the rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Redhotman
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bulgaria

Post by Redhotman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am

From I’ve red it’s enough to have settled status. No one mention ilr...

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Redhotman wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am
From I’ve red it’s enough to have settled status. No one mention ilr...
Settled status = ILR :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mengo

Documents list for BC Application

Post by mengo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 pm

Dear members,

I am hoping to make BC application next week. I would like to clarify few things. I have ILR more than a year and living in UK since 2012, from non EU country. I have always worked as an employee (PAYE) until last June which is when I started to work as self employed. I have filled the application and following Documents are listed. COuld you please, see advise what other documents I may need? Thanks
  • The passport issued by X Country for Y - I understood I just need my current and old passports
  • Mr Y's Life in the UK Test pass notification - Life in UK certificate
  • Proof of living in the UK for Mr. Y - How do I do that? SHould I submit my P60 for last 5 years? It says submit your self assessment if you are self employed but I am self employed only since June and self assessment is not open before early April. Also, I needed to do self assessment for 17/18 as HMRC sent wrong tax code first and ended up asking me to do self assessment. It turned out that I have underpaid tax, which was their incompetence not to send a right code. They are now direct debiting outstanding underpaid tax per month. Should I submit this self assessment as well?
  • Mr Y's proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions - I understood it is ILR card. Right?
  • Two referee declarations for Mr Y - Does it makes a difference if BC referee is my friend and became BC last year?
  • Mr Y's evidence of identity - What is this? Not a passport?
  • What other documents I need?
  • Also, I have had one private parking (in grounds of my rented flat) and bus lane tickets which I paid on time - none of them were on my name, but rented car company's name. Should I declare them and where in the application?
Apologise for long post. Please, share your knowledge about my questions. Thanks in advance.

mengo

Proof of living in the UK

Post by mengo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Dear members,

I am trying to apply for BC next week and would appreciate if anyone can help me to understand what evidences are needed for "Proof of living in the UK" for non EU national worked as PAYE in last 6 years. Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Proof of living in the UK

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:00 pm

mengo wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Dear members,

I am trying to apply for BC next week and would appreciate if anyone can help me to understand what evidences are needed for "Proof of living in the UK" for non EU national worked as PAYE in last 6 years. Thanks in advance.
Your passports!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:02 pm

mengo wrote:
Dear members,

Your passport(s) showing immigration stamps in/out are sufficient.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mengo

Post by mengo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:00 pm
mengo wrote:
Dear members,

Your passports!!

Thanks a lot for prompt response. In the AN form, there is another requirement below. Could you please, clarify if this is applicable to everybody? This was provided during ILR application - I am missing something?Thanks

"SECTION 10 Evidence of National Insurance contributions covering the relevant period:
• payslips
• P60’s
• letter or letters from your employer or employers confirming you have worked in their
employment including start and finish dates"

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:19 pm

mengo wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm
CR001 wrote:
mengo wrote:
Dear members,

Your passports!!

Thanks a lot for prompt response. In the AN form, there is another requirement below. Could you please, clarify if this is applicable to everybody? This was provided during ILR application - I am missing something?Thanks

"SECTION 10 Evidence of National Insurance contributions covering the relevant period:
• payslips
• P60’s
• letter or letters from your employer or employers confirming you have worked in their
It applies mainly to EU citizens (non British) and their dependents as their passports are NOT stamped when traveling in and out of the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

mengo

Post by mengo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:19 pm
mengo wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm
CR001 wrote:
mengo wrote:
Dear members,

Your passports!!

• payslips
• P60’s
It applies mainly to EU citizens (non British) and their dependents as their passports are NOT stamped when traveling in and out of the UK.
Dear CR001,

Thanks again. I am non-EU national. So, I don't have to submit any P60s or bank statements?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm

mengo wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:25 pm
Dear CR001,

Thanks again. I am non-EU national. So, I don't have to submit any P60s or bank statements?
No you don't. Citizenship is not a repeat of the ILR process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

mengo

Post by mengo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks a lot @CR001. One more question please?

Where in the online form I declare private parking and bus lane tickets (all paid on time) as none of categories under "Convictions and other penalties" are applicable to me? Do I have to write a cover letter and indicate there?

Also does it makes difference if one of my referees is recent BC citizen (1 year now). Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Where in the online form I declare private parking and bus lane tickets (all paid on time) as none of categories under "Convictions and other penalties" are applicable to me? Do I have to write a cover letter and indicate there?
Additional information page if there is one.
Also does it makes difference if one of my referees is recent BC citizen (1 year now)./quote]
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

mengo

Post by mengo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Thank you so much CR001