ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR BRP Renewal

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ammaralvi

ILR BRP Renewal

Post by ammaralvi » Sun May 27, 2018 11:12 am

I, my wife and two children (son 7 years & daughter 5 years, at the time) were granted ILR together on 02/01/2015. The validity for my and my wife's BRP was until 02/01/2025 whereas for the children it was 02/01/2020. I subsequently got British nationality through naturalisation in 2016 but my wife and children couldn't as they have to stay out of the country because of our family circumstances. They have however been visiting within two years to ensure the ILR doesn't get revoked.

I have gone through the forum and understand that BRP has an expiry date as would a driving licence or passport. And that this expiry date doesn't have any impact on ILR. However, I wasn't able to find the steps to get this renewed for my children. If I have missed a post that addresses that, then please point me in that direction. If not, please suggest the process? Also, I would like to know if this renewal can be applied from outside the UK?

CMOSUK
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR BRP Renewal

Post by CMOSUK » Sun May 27, 2018 4:10 pm

ammaralvi wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:12 am
I, my wife and two children (son 7 years & daughter 5 years, at the time) were granted ILR together on 02/01/2015. The validity for my and my wife's BRP was until 02/01/2025 whereas for the children it was 02/01/2020. I subsequently got British nationality through naturalisation in 2016 but my wife and children couldn't as they have to stay out of the country because of our family circumstances. They have however been visiting within two years to ensure the ILR doesn't get revoked.

I have gone through the forum and understand that BRP has an expiry date as would a driving licence or passport. And that this expiry date doesn't have any impact on ILR. However, I wasn't able to find the steps to get this renewed for my children. If I have missed a post that addresses that, then please point me in that direction. If not, please suggest the process? Also, I would like to know if this renewal can be applied from outside the UK?
Application for a replacement biometric residence permit (BRP)

I don't know if this renewal can be applied from outside as their is nothing in the guidance from what I have read, however, the BRP card will obviously, from my understanding will require you to attend an allocated biometric processing centre to take finger prints and what not and will be specified and you notified by UKVi/Home office in due course of the application processing, if it is being applied from outside the UK, and correspondence does co e to your UK address, and you do not respond in time, it may impact it.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Tue May 29, 2018 11:17 am

Can any of the moderators please point me in the right direction?

globalworld
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by globalworld » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:59 am

I'm in a similar situation, BRP card coming up for renewal but I haven't been in the UK much since it was issued due to work, basically coming back every 2 years to 'keep it active'. Although I consider it my main country of residence and maintain a presence there- I do intend to settle eventually. I'm concerned that when I apply for the BRP card renewal it will not be straight forward and will in fact mean the authorities reconsidering my case.

You apply using a new lengthy online application form and they require a long list of documents, including UK address history and any time spent outside the UK. I suspect as more and more people who have ILR BRP cards that expire need replacing, many will lose ILR.

globalworld
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by globalworld » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:05 am

Oh and you cannot apply for a new BRP card from outside the UK. If its lost you apply for a temporary 1 time entry visa, which perhaps will be the same if its expired. Its advised to travel with a valid BRP card. So in your case, get the family with ILR to return to the UK 3 months before the card expires and apply for a new one.

However, there is a risk that even though they are in the UK 'settled' when applying for renewal, that ILR might be lost as they have been outside the UK only returning every 2 years to 'keep it active.'

If you or anyone has any further info about ILR BRP card renewal for holders who haven't spent very long in the UK while over the BRP cards duration please post!

Stellacat
Hong Kong

Post by Stellacat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:47 pm

globalworld wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:59 am
I'm in a similar situation, BRP card coming up for renewal but I haven't been in the UK much since it was issued due to work, basically coming back every 2 years to 'keep it active'. Although I consider it my main country of residence and maintain a presence there- I do intend to settle eventually. I'm concerned that when I apply for the BRP card renewal it will not be straight forward and will in fact mean the authorities reconsidering my case.

You apply using a new lengthy online application form and they require a long list of documents, including UK address history and any time spent outside the UK. I suspect as more and more people who have ILR BRP cards that expire need replacing, many will lose ILR.
Hi globalworld, do you know anyone lost ILR because they are haven’t been in UK much even they came back every two years? I am in a similar situations, but I have returned back and settled down in UK over 18 months now.