ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it mandatory for Professional Referee to have engaged in professional capacity (MN1)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MissionPossible

Is it mandatory for Professional Referee to have engaged in professional capacity (MN1)

Post by MissionPossible » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm in process of filling MN1 form for my son.

For the professional referee - will a Dr. who has NOT engaged with the child in professional capacity be OK ?

Reason I ask this: The Doctor in question is our neighbor and good family friend. He has never seen our son in professional capacity but is willing to be a professional referee.

If the answer is - yes and he can be a professional referee then what should I mention in the field where it asks - "How do you know the referee".

A trivial question but such a headache !

Thanks in advance.

MissionPossible

Re: Is it mandatory for Professional Referee to have engaged in professional capacity (MN1)

Post by MissionPossible » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 am

Would really appreciate some expert/guru advice on this query.

Many thanks!

ellie_n_beeb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Is it mandatory for Professional Referee to have engaged in professional capacity (MN1)

Post by ellie_n_beeb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 am

Yes, that is fine.

The professional referee requirement is due to the person being a professional, therefore, in theory, having more to lose for lying than a non-professional (for instance, their reputation/livelihood could be ruined).

It does not matter if they have interacted with you/your child in a professional capacity.

Alien2017
United Kingdom

Post by Alien2017 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:07 am

We have used a friend that is a teacher, but hasn't interacted with our child as a teacher, only as a family friend, and I have put teacher as the answer on the question how do you know him, no description, just simple teacher on one and friend on the second and got approval. Now I have no idea if they really have to be engaged in professional activity with the child, mine wasn't.

MissionPossible

Post by MissionPossible » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks all for your valued inputs.

Just an update - after much consideration my son's teacher agreed to put here name as referee.
Even the GP agreed finally but was charging £50 fee so we decided to not use him.

If not for these referees then I would have gone with any of my professional referee friends.
Now MN1 application has been made and hoping for positive response. Waiting game has begun !

shmitsky
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by shmitsky » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Yea, this one got me confused too. MN1 Guide states that:
One referee should be a professional who has engaged with the child in a
professional capacity, such as a teacher, health visitor, social worker or minister of
religion.
I've got no idea what's the legal basis of that requirement but for my children we decided not to risk it. We went to school and thankfully one of the teachers agreed to provide reference