ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR / settled status... when to apply for British citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

genevieve
Newly Registered
United States of America

ILR / settled status... when to apply for British citizenship?

Post by genevieve » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:13 pm

Hello,

Please let me know if this would be better answered in a different category as I'm not 100% certain if this is the right one.

My EU husband and I have been granted ILR/settled status as we were eligible for the early scheme (I have a Biometric Residence Card). He's been living here nine years and I, for seven. I've read I can apply for British citizenship after holding settled status for 12 months. Not long ago we discovered he's actually 'British by descent' as he was born (and grew up) in Sweden in 1984 to a British mum so we've talked about applying for a British passport for him at some point so we can prove British citizenship of our two little girls born here. As I've been here and granted settled status on the basis of being a family member of an EEA person, should I still wait the 12 months to apply for my citizenship and THEN get his passport or should we apply for his passport and then I'm eligible for citizenship application already?

genevieve
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: ILR / settled status... when to apply for British citizenship?

Post by genevieve » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:40 am

Nevermind, I realise looking at the application it would make sense to continue along the EEA route as I currently am and wait the 12 months.

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Re: ILR / settled status... when to apply for British citizenship?

Post by NikiGio » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:46 am

genevieve wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:13 pm
Not long ago we discovered he's actually 'British by descent' as he was born (and grew up) in Sweden in 1984 to a British mum so we've talked about applying for a British passport for him at some point so we can prove British citizenship of our two little girls born here. As I've been here and granted settled status on the basis of being a family member of an EEA person, should I still wait the 12 months to apply for my citizenship and THEN get his passport or should we apply for his passport and then I'm eligible for citizenship application already?
As soon as he gets his British citizenship - you'll be able to apply for your citizenship immediately. People with Settled Status and British spouses don't need to wait 12 months.
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.