ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 2 Visa to join the Royal Air Force (RAF)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Igirl
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Switching from Tier 2 Visa to join the Royal Air Force (RAF)

Post by Igirl » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi, please I need some advice.

I currently hold a 5 years Tier 2 General visa valid from Nov 2016 to Nov 2021. I have worked with my current employer for two and a half years now and recently decided to apply to join the RAF to fulfil a long childhood dream.
I am also from a commonwealth country and have lived continuously in the UK for about 7 years now.
However, my application to join the RAF was rejected, on the grounds that my Tier 2 visa does not meet the entry requirement to join the RAF.

There is also no restriction on the Gov.uk website that I am unable to join the Armed forces from a Tier 2 visa, so I am unsure why this happened.
Taking into consideration the fact that students on a Tier 4 visa with a licenced sponsor can join any sector of the Armed forces. Also, I am able to terminate my Tier 2 visa if I decide to work for another employer (such as the RAF).

Please any useful advice on why this decision might have been made, and what I can do moving forward would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

katanayi
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Switching from Tier 2 Visa to join the Royal Air Force (RAF)

Post by katanayi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:35 am

Are RAFs sponsoring T2 Visa?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Switching from Tier 2 Visa to join the Royal Air Force (RAF)

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Armed Forces do not operate under points based system. They have their own immigration rules that are unrelated to the general rules.

If you were to be able to join the RAF it would be under the Armed Forces immigration criteria and that is a very specific area of knowledge.

What reason were you given for rejection? The stated Tier 2 bit does not fit to their criteria but they can join you under their joining criteria. So that is what am struggling with...I don’t think switching from Tierb2 is the problem, or more to the point it should not be.