ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 visa - Director / Question

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Tier 1 visa - Director / Question

Post by Mabsa_guy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi all,

My company is planning to hire someone who is in the UK under a Tier 1 visa (valid until 2022). We are planning to appoint that person as a Director of the company.

From a company perspective, I am assuming that this person will need to be treated as an employee, i.e, with a salary and pension contribution? The only difference is that he will be one of the directors of the company. Is my assumption correct? Are there any areas that I should pay special attention?

Thanks for your help!

marcnath
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 1 visa - Director / Question

Post by marcnath » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Mabsa_guy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:16 pm
Hi all,

My company is planning to hire someone who is in the UK under a Tier 1 visa (valid until 2022). We are planning to appoint that person as a Director of the company.

From a company perspective, I am assuming that this person will need to be treated as an employee, i.e, with a salary and pension contribution? The only difference is that he will be one of the directors of the company. Is my assumption correct? Are there any areas that I should pay special attention?

Thanks for your help!
Which Tier 1 visa is that person on ?
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by Mabsa_guy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:10 pm

He’s under Tier 1 visa entrepreneurship.

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by Mabsa_guy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Help anyone? Thanks

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Will they be a major or minor shareholder in the company?
Are they investing funds into the business?

Does your company have a tier 2 licence?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:18 am

If the individual is not investing in the business or taking shares part ownership then he is no more than an employee. A Tier 1 Ent can not be an employee regardless of the “Director” title so you would need to employ him under a tier 2 visa.

The issue is one of what he is allowed to do under his existing visa conditions and also what your responsibility is as an employer to ensure he has the right to work for your company in the capacity you wish to employ him.

Do not take it as read you can employ him because he has a Tier 1 Ent visa - you can’t using that visa type.