ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A problem with updating my police registration certificate

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ayman_egy2005
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

A problem with updating my police registration certificate

Post by ayman_egy2005 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am

Hello everyone. I am facing a problem and I hope any of you can help me.

I have been living and working for the NHS in the UK with a tier 2 work permit visa for two and a half years now. I had three jobs since I started working here which involved moving a lot. I updated the police registration certificate with every change of a job or address I had. In my previous job I extended my stay in the same job in the same address for 6 more months, and since there were no change of circumstances I did not update my police registration certificate. I recently moved to Manchester and while attending an appointment to update my certificate, I was told that I did not update an extention which is considered a change of circumsatnce. I explained that I had no change of circumstance and that I was in the same address and doing the same job and I was not aware I needed to update the certificate just for the visa extension. I was told - by a very aggresive officer - that this was not an acceptable excuse and that she will put a warning on my certificate that will affect my visa applications in the future.

I called the home office help line, and the lady told me that I did not commit a crime, and that even she did not know that I was supposed to update the certificate even If I haven't changed my employer or address and it should not affect my future applications.

Now I am confused and concerned. This is information that I did not know, and It was a completely innocent mistake- if any. Will that affect my visa applications in the future? or if I apply for an ILR?
And if so, is there anything that I can to do change that? I have proof that I was working for an extended period of time, copy of my contract extension and tenancy agreement.

Ayman

UKLL
Member of Standing
Malaysia

Re: A problem with updating my police registration certificate

Post by UKLL » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:30 pm

ayman_egy2005 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am
Hello everyone. I am facing a problem and I hope any of you can help me.

I have been living and working for the NHS in the UK with a tier 2 work permit visa for two and a half years now. I had three jobs since I started working here which involved moving a lot. I updated the police registration certificate with every change of a job or address I had. In my previous job I extended my stay in the same job in the same address for 6 more months, and since there were no change of circumstances I did not update my police registration certificate. I recently moved to Manchester and while attending an appointment to update my certificate, I was told that I did not update an extention which is considered a change of circumsatnce. I explained that I had no change of circumstance and that I was in the same address and doing the same job and I was not aware I needed to update the certificate just for the visa extension. I was told - by a very aggresive officer - that this was not an acceptable excuse and that she will put a warning on my certificate that will affect my visa applications in the future.

I called the home office help line, and the lady told me that I did not commit a crime, and that even she did not know that I was supposed to update the certificate even If I haven't changed my employer or address and it should not affect my future applications.

Now I am confused and concerned. This is information that I did not know, and It was a completely innocent mistake- if any. Will that affect my visa applications in the future? or if I apply for an ILR?
And if so, is there anything that I can to do change that? I have proof that I was working for an extended period of time, copy of my contract extension and tenancy agreement.

Ayman
To be honest although I know it was not intentional, in your extension approval letter it 100% states you need to register with the police, so it was a mistake that should not happen.

I don't think it will seriously affect your future applications

ayman_egy2005
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ayman_egy2005 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:53 am

Thank you for answering.
I have checked the letter that came with the BRP. There is no mention of updating the police reg certificate.
On the back of the certificate itself, there is only mention of change of circumstances (Job, address, name etc.) or travelling outside the UK for more than 2 months. Again no mention that an extension without a change of circumstances should be reported.

It might have been common knowledge that I was not aware of. I certainly hope it wouldn't be an issue travelling in and out of the country or future applications.

Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated

Kind regards,
Ayman

ayman_egy2005
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ayman_egy2005 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Update: You are right, I found it in the instructions on the extension approval. I only just realized.