ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American visiting the UK & EU for long periods of time

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

y2richie
Newly Registered

American visiting the UK & EU for long periods of time

Post by y2richie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:55 am

I need some general info about an American friend of mine coming to the UK and Europe as well.

As I understand it, she can come to England as a tourist and stay with me for six months. Is that correct?

I've also read that she can stay in Europe for three months as a tourist and that when her three months are up, she has to leave the EU for 3 months before re-applying to stay there.

Is it possible that she could live in Europe for three months, then live in the UK for six months, then re-apply to live back in Europe again? That way bouncing between the UK and EU as a tourist for as long as she wants? Is that possible or are there limitations?

Thanks for your help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: American visiting the UK & EU for long periods of time

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Frequent visits to the UK, even for non-visa nationals are likely to result in a refusal to enter at Border Control. Your friend shouldn't be spending more time in the UK than in their home country.

Frequent visits as you have mentioned in your post, would be seen as an attempt to reside, rather than as a genuine visitor.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

y2richie
Newly Registered

Post by y2richie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks Casa. :)

y2richie
Newly Registered

Post by y2richie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:54 am

One final question. If she arrives with an open ticket to return to the US within six months, is there any paperwork she needs to bring with her to support such a longer stay? She'll be staying with me and my family for as long as she wants up to six months, before returning home. Will immigration officials stop her coming in for any reason?

Thanks for your help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Non-visa nationals are expected to be able to provide the same evidence on entry to the UK as they would in a visitor visa application. The IO at Border Control will want to see documented proof of strong ties to her home country, such as ongoing employment or long term study (college/university) financial self-sufficiency, property ownership, and/or dependent relatives.

Your friend would also be expected to have a return ticket, not an open one.

Even more so when the visit is for 6 months. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

y2richie
Newly Registered

Post by y2richie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Thanks again Casa. :)