ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode from India for baby born in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PinkFloyd

Right of Abode from India for baby born in the UK

Post by PinkFloyd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:50 pm

Hello, Dear ones,

I need some precious advice from the collective wisdom of this forum. I am an Indian National with ILR granted in 2012 (HSMP/Tier 1 route). My son was born in the UK in 2017 and holds Indian passport issued in the UK. His birth has been registered in the UK. We need to get the Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode (CoE-RoA) stamped on his Indian Passport. Given the timelines here in the UK exceeding 5 months; whilst there is a premium service in India to get it done in 1 week, I am thinking of traveling to India and having it done from there.
I haven't found an example here in the forums were, having born in the UK, CoE was stamped outside of UK. So, please could you allay some of my concerns noted below.
  • Is it legally allowed to submit the application outside of UK when born and permanently residing in the UK?
  • Can this approach make the case complex enough so that embassies take more time to verify and confer?
  • Will there be a problem at the airport passport control while leaving the UK for the baby as we will have only his Indian passport and not VISA/BRP for the UK?

Thanks a lot for reading.

PinkFloyd

Re: Right of Abode from India for baby born in the UK

Post by PinkFloyd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello All,

Please do give your comments/thoughts about whether it is viable [details above].
It will be of great help to decide the course of action to take.

Thanks!

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi All,

Since the above query failed to garner any response/interest, I decided to mail UKVI at the listed email address(nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk). I got an automated response with the links to webpages which I have already gone through and does not have the information I seek. I then called the UKVI customer service and the response was blunt "how do we know?" Contact the embassy and find out.

I contacted the Indian High Commission with email and again got an automated reply linking back to UKVI contacts.

Please anyone would know of the contact details/emails of UKVI which I could get an answer from the right authority.

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 pm

Where did you read there is a 1 week service for ROA from India??

Most applicants wait at least 8-16 weeks, some longer, when applying outside the UK from India and Pakistan.

There is no rule that it must be applied for in the UK.

A visa is not required if LEAVING the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, CR001!

I am placing all hopes of getting it within one week's time from the information and experience contained herein.
I quote for convenience
There is priority service for Roa-Coe visa for which the SLA is 5 working days.We opt for this service.VFS center officer told me that all settlement visa take 3 weeks time in general and priority visa takes 1 week time for which you have o pay additional amount.
I will confirm it when I lodge the application, which I will now proceed to do based on your kind reply.

Thanks again!

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Dear All,

This is an update and confirmation for anyone seeking information for queries similar to mine.

I was able to apply for ROA-CoE from India under the "Priority visa (non-settlement) service". The certificate was stamped and passport delivered in 6 days.
There was no need to submit parents' passports with the application. The turn around time is massively shortened as compared to what would have been had I applied from the UK (I read the threads with people quoting 6months as the turn-around time.)

special thanks to CR001 for taking time to reply!

NP0020
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by NP0020 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:21 pm

PinkFloyd wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:27 pm
Dear All,

This is an update and confirmation for anyone seeking information for queries similar to mine.

I was able to apply for ROA-CoE from India under the "Priority visa (non-settlement) service". The certificate was stamped and passport delivered in 6 days.
There was no need to submit parents' passports with the application. The turn around time is massively shortened as compared to what would have been had I applied from the UK (I read the threads with people quoting 6months as the turn-around time.)

special thanks to CR001 for taking time to reply!
Hi PinkFloyd,

This is so very useful. thanks for posting.

I'm about to apply for RoA-CoE for my son (born in India) and I'm British.
Would you be so kind to advise on:

1. The documents you provided? Did you furnish any TB certificate?

2. How much did the "priority service" cost you and which city in India did you apply from please? I'd apply from VFS Mumbai and just looking to confirm that the priority service is available there.

I'd be grateful if you could answer my above questions.

Many Thanks!

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:07 am

Hi NP0020,

I did not furnish the TB certificate as the situation was different for us (Living in the country (UK) where TB is not prevalent.)
We applied at Hyderabad VFS and the priority service is ~20K from memory. Please check with VFS for the latest figures. The priority service is a non-settlement category for CoE for some reason which is good as the other is much higher,
The document lists varies but this is bare minimum:
1. Valid Passport/Travel Document
2. 2 Passport sized photographs
3. Full Birth Certificate Showing Parents Details
4. Evidence of Parents Settled Status
a. Passport with the stamp
b. BRP Card
5. Parents Marriage Certificate

All the best.

Cheers!

Ragz
Newly Registered
India

Post by Ragz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi there

Your information has been very useful, I need some clarity on some questions please
Me and my husband have ILR, our son’s dependant visa expired on 22/05/19, we have applied for naturalisation of our child who is born in UK and registered birth here however we are still awaiting for his certificate which I am expecting anytime soon (applied MN1 in March 2019), I need to travel to India urgently and do not have time to apply for British passport
1. Can I take the naturalisation certificate to India and apply for RoA from India
2. What documents should I submit
3: any other things to remember while applying

Kindly post your replies

Thank you