ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SA HSMP/ TIER 1 application

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

candikay
Newly Registered

SA HSMP/ TIER 1 application

Post by candikay » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:39 am

Hi,

I am planning on applying for my HSMP (or Tier 1) visa at the end of June.

However I am a bit confused as to which form to use and as to my ability to stay in the country.

I am a South African citizen who is currently on a Working holiday visa. I still have time to work and leave to remain on that visa.

However I would like to change to a HSMP visa. Is it possible to apply for the visa in country, as i still have leave to remain on my current visa?

If so, which form would i need to use and what would the process be.

Would i need to leave the country on the day i apply, and then come back into the UK once i have applied, or am i permitted to stay on in the UK whilst my application is processed without leaving.

If i do have to leave the country, would i need to return to my home country or could i go to any country outside the UK?

Also when filling out the form, which address do i need to put on the form (my South African address or my UK address?)

Any information on this would be appreciated as I cannot seem to find the information on your guidance notes or on the website.

Thank you

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Best that you check with BIA on whether you can make an in-country application for Tier 1 as a WHM visa holder (a non-switchable visa category).

There is no clear information from the BIA (or substantiated by BIA) that's publicly available to suggest that applicants in UK in any visa category other than the switchable categories can make an in-country Tier 1 application. There is also no information publicly available to suggest that someone in UK in a visa category other than the prescribed switchable visa category can make a Tier 1 application and will be issued an approval letter by BIA to enable him to return to his country to apply for EC (which was usual practice under HSMP).

Whilst some people believe that it is do-able, there are others who believe it is not - so it would be best if you check with BIA directly and let them confirm it to you one way or the other.

regards