ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage + Visas = HELP!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Newly Registered

Marriage + Visas = HELP!

Post by 365016 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Im a Uk citizen and fiancee is an American citizen who has been here for 4 years and has limited leave to remain for another 2.5 years.

Went to get our notice of marriage today and they refused as we need a CoA, we are scheduled to get married on July 12th in a church (not a church of England)

Tried calling the home office see if I could ask some questions but actually getting through to someone was like geting blood out of a stone.

Basically what can we do? CoA will never be here in time unless there is a way we can "expedite" it, is the Church of England route a possible way of getting round it? Or are there any more rules and limitations?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:03 pm

How do I get married or register a civil partnership in the United Kingdom? wrote:Religious ceremonies

The rules on certificate of approval do not currently apply if you plan to get married at an Anglican Church in England or Wales, after marriage banns or with a religious licence.
If he has limited leave to remain for another 2.5 years, then why won't the COA be in time?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sammie

Post by Sammie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 pm

vinny wrote:If he has limited leave to remain for another 2.5 years, then why won't the COA be in time?
because..
365016 wrote:we are scheduled to get married on July 12th
Visa: Spouse
Submitted: 12/03/08 (Mirpur VAC, PAkistan)
Time Elapsed:10 Working Days
Result: VISA ISSUED 28/03/2008
ILR App: 18/03/2010-28/03/2010
ILR App Sent: 25/03/2010
ILR Received: 30/07/2010 - YAY!!

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:16 pm

You need to go to the UK Border Agency website and in their search facility type 'CoA' or 'Certificate of Approval' and on that page then click on the 'Guide CoA' link on the right-hand side of the page. That tells you what the requirements are.

The only option for applying that it appears to offer is by post to a PO box in Durham. You could phone one of the advice numbers given to ask if you can apply in person, but I bet they say no, or don't know.

I doubt whether you've got much chance of getting a CoA before 12th July. Maybe you should use that occasion for some sort of blessing, if the priest agrees, and do a Registry Office ceremony later on when you've got the CoA.

Unconventional weddings/ceremonies can be great occasions. My wife and I had the reception the night before the wedding, because we couldn't get anywhere on the day, and everyone had a whale of a time. After we got hitched we just went to the pub.