ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test - how easy is it

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ali541

Life in the UK test - how easy is it

Post by ali541 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:33 am

Hi to all on the forum. the life in the uk test which has been introduced by the gobverment to detwermine our britishness. i was wondering if people could share their experiences of how the test it, how easy or hard did they find, did they pass etc etc

My wife will be taking the test so just wanted to get views and opinions from people who have taken it or from people who know people who have taken it

Riz

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:41 am

perumal
Newly Registered

Post by perumal » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 am

Ali,

I have attended my test on June 12th and passed with out any difficulty. There is a book officially released by Home office, From which all the questions are being asked (from chapter 2,3,4,5 & 6 only). I didn't spend much time for the preparation...took couple of days to go through the book . Spent few hours in doing some sample test papers.

Google for Life in the UK test, you get loads of web sites offering free practice test papers. Spend some time in doing this..I am sure you will be successful..

Good luck..

MORBULOUS_PRIME

Re: Life in the UK test - how easy is it

Post by MORBULOUS_PRIME » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:36 am

ali541 wrote:Hi to all on the forum. the life in the uk test which has been introduced by the gobverment to detwermine our britishness. i was wondering if people could share their experiences of how the test it, how easy or hard did they find, did they pass etc etc

My wife will be taking the test so just wanted to get views and opinions from people who have taken it or from people who know people who have taken it

Riz
Here's my experience:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=26320

MP

ali541

Post by ali541 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:44 am

well yeah i reckon if my wife reads the book religously for around 3-6 months she will pass it. well after reading it yesterday froa few mins she knows the minimum age for buying alcohol and the minimum age for buying tobacco and also what happends on valentines day and other bits and bobs

hito
Newly Registered

Post by hito » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Regardles of how easy or hard the test is, make sure you prepare for it thoroughly to avoid disappointment. Good luck with the test.

ali541

Post by ali541 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:09 pm

yeah thats absoloutley true. i bought the book for my wife yesterday we are starting our first session today.....we had a flick through it yesterday and she already picked up some information and stuff, which is good

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Life in the UK test - how easy is it

Post by pantaiema » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:18 pm

In general, the test it selves is not difficult as the question will be taken from a book (less than 100 pages). A university student learn about 3-5 books of 200-400 pages in order to pass an exam. In "life in the uk test", you know already that the question will come from chapter 2-6 (less than 100 pages), it should not be a problem to pass, if you prepare it.

But you should not underestimate as the questions might be testing your memory as well. The sort of question you might be asked: (this question appear on online practice test)

In 2001 what was the population of Pakistani descent?
a. 0.7 million
b. 0.6 million
c. 0.5 million
d. 0.4 million

because the questions are randomly chosen by computer, you will never know which figures is going to be asked. So to ensure that you will be able to answer this sort of question on the real test (without guessing), you need to memorise all of figures (population, percentage, etc).

This is what is written in the Official book "life in the UK" that you need to memorise:

UK Population 2001

Million UK Population %
White 54.2 92
Mixed 0.7 1.2

Indian 1.1 1.8
Pakistani 0.7 1.3
Bangladeshi 0.3 0.5
Other Asian 0.2 0.4

Black Caribbean 0.6 1.0
Black African 0.5 0.8
Black other 0.1 0.2
Chinese 0.2 0.4
Other 0.2 0.4

For 1 question that you anticipate to be asked during the test, you need to memorise 22 figures/number. This sort of question is not about understanding but testing your memory.

My critics is that, where is the point to test such things? You remember today, you will forget it next week. Also, in 2011 this figure will be changing.

ali541 wrote:Hi to all on the forum. the life in the uk test which has been introduced by the gobverment to detwermine our britishness. i was wondering if people could share their experiences of how the test it, how easy or hard did they find, did they pass etc etc

Riz
Pantaiema