ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit and after

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Gerkema

EEA Family Permit and after

Post by Gerkema » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi I'm new here on the forum, but I have been reading it for the past few days. I am of Dutch nationality and my fiancee of Russian nationality. Currently we are residing in Australia and are planning to get married in Fiji later this year. After which we are planning on moving to the UK in September (1 month after the wedding).

My questions are:
1. Can we directly after returning from Fiji apply for an EEA Family Permit for my wife at the British embassy in Canberra? Or should she return to Russia and apply in Moscow or Saint Petersburg?
2. How long will it usually take to get such a permit and does she need to take any tests or examinations for it? For a student visa here in Australia she needed to provide x-rays and a blood examination.
3. After arriving in the UK, she will apply for a Residence Permit which is valid for 5 years. What happens after these 5 years? Will she need a new permit for 5 years or can she apply for an unlimited permit? Or does she have to apply for British citizenship?

Thanks very much in advance!

evil_grrrl666

Post by evil_grrrl666 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:24 pm

1. You can apply for the EEA Family permit from Australia providing your soon to be wife is legally residing there.
2. They should give the permit as soon as possible (according to EU Laws they should follow an accelerated procedure) but you will have to contact the specific visa issuing authority of how long they take. Sometimes it takes a while to get an appointment even. So decide where you want to apply from and ask them directly how long it would take.
Read the EEA Family Permit form to see which documents are required. To make sure, also ask the embassy you want to apply from. Extra medical tests or examinations were not required when my husband applied for the EEA family permit..
3. after having lived in uk for 5 years continuously your wife will automatically have permanent residency. if you wish to get proof of this right, she can apply with the form "EEA4" and will be issued a permanent residence permit.