ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employable in the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tressamay
Newly Registered

Employable in the UK?

Post by tressamay » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:27 pm

I am considering taking a Law course at Aberdeen College next year, upon completing would it be hard to find a job ? I'm a US citizen who would need a WP
Thanks,
Teresa

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:42 pm

AFAIK the UK has more than enough lawyers - the success of a WP would depend on whether your employer can prove that you are the best candidate from this large resident labour pool. Note that to practice law in the UK you have to be registered with the relevant organisation - law society or the bar. This would be the main challenge to attain HSMP status which allows self employment/ employment with any employer albeit in a designated profession i.e. law.

There is also a scheme operated outside the immigration rules which allows you to enter the UK to:

1. Practice as a barrister (setting up in chambers) - registration requirement must be met.

2. Practice as a Solicitor (establish or join an existing partnership) - registration requirement must be met.

3. Consultant in overseas law e.g. US law in the UK (establish or join an existing partnership)

4. Evidence of funds to set up or join the the relevant partnerships.

This scheme requires prior entry clearance (visa from abroad), allows initial entry into the UK for 1 year and is tightly monitored for any abuse.

AtW

Post by AtW » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:00 pm

Actually there are not as near enough solicitors in the UK, which is why their rates are ridiculous (>£100 +VAT per hour).

Problem is that the Law Society effectively operates a legalised cartel and they control supply side of solicitors by requiring them to have work experience first (education not enough), and very few vacancies actually exist.

Costs of legal education is high too - £20k+ on fees alone.

tressamay
Newly Registered

Thank you

Post by tressamay » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:13 pm

I would be going to become a paralegal/legal assistant, not a Barrister or Solictor and am knowledgeable in US law

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:55 am

The UK legal market is saturated. I am a solicitor and I know what I am talking about.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

GwaiLo
Newly Registered

Post by GwaiLo » Sun May 09, 2004 1:51 am

AtW wrote:Problem is that the Law Society effectively operates a legalised cartel and they control supply side of solicitors by requiring them to have work experience first (education not enough), and very few vacancies actually exist.

Costs of legal education is high too - £20k+ on fees alone.
The Law Society no more operates a cartel than any professional institution does. They derive thier powers, as do all professional institutions in the UK, from a Royal Charter that obliges the institution to maintain standards and act in the public interest. All professional institutions require work experience as well as academic qualifications, without both a professional could not be considered competent.

The very fact that few training vacancies exist confirms the fact that the market is saturated. I am not a solicitor, or a barrister, but I am a professional and do compete with lawyers for some types of buisiness.

As for education being expensive, well yes it is. But Universities also compete with each other so it seem to me that the only way to make the education cheaper would be to lower the standards.

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon May 10, 2004 12:57 pm

Scottish law is quite different to English (or Welsh) law. If you intend to work in England (or Wales) you had better take the course in an English university.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>