ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 1(3) - recent changes and document requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Irakli
United Kingdom

MN1 1(3) - recent changes and document requirements

Post by Irakli » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:32 am

Dear all,

My wife and myself obtained ILR earlier this month. Our son was born in the UK and he turn 2 soon. He has been on Tier 2 dependant visa so far. As per my research, because we parents obtained ILR he is now entitled for British citizenship as per 1(3) form MN1 application.

I have checked over the weekend and HO has changed guidance for MN1 application last Friday (22 March) - it does not mention anything about referees anymore! However the online application still requires details from two referees and a letter signed by them, could anyone shed some light and advise on the below please:

- Are referees indeed required or not? It seems to be a mistake from HO in guidance?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance

- Can professional referee be a GP?

- If professional referee refuses to provide his/her passport number and last 3 years residential address how could I proceed in online application? Could this be a reason for application rejection?

- as per my research Documents required are: passport copies of all of us three, marriage certificate, birth certificate, referees attestation letters - is there anything else required?

-Could we send copies instead of originals? If yes, how could we get them certified for acceptable standards for HO?

- in Online application there is only two options: either completed by the applicant or by the representative. My son, obviously cannot do it he is too young, and we don't have lawyer representing us - I am doing it. In the end system asks to confirm that either: I am the applicant or the representative, in strict terms it is not right if I select either. Could you advise from past experience which option would be correct to choose?

- Will he get British passport after the citizenship? If so, could anyone share the link for requirements?

- What is difference between registering someone as British citizen and naturalisation? Why does he need to apply for naturalisation when he turns 18?

- Does he have to live in the UK certain amount of time to be eligible for naturalisation at age of 18?Extreme example: if he lives outside of the UK between after getting British citizenship will he still be eligible for naturalisation at age of 18?

Many thanks for your time and assistance here!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MN1 1(3) - recent changes and document requirements

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am

I have checked over the weekend and HO has changed guidance for MN1 application last Friday (22 March) - it does not mention anything about referees anymore! However the online application still requires details from two referees and a letter signed by them, could anyone shed some light and advise on the below please:

- Are referees indeed required or not? It seems to be a mistake from HO in guidance?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance

- Can professional referee be a GP?
You still need the referees. The online form will ask for the details. GP is no longer on the list of referees but many use them for small children.
- If professional referee refuses to provide his/her passport number and last 3 years residential address how could I proceed in online application? Could this be a reason for application rejection?
Maybe find another referee then. No it can't be a reason for rejection but you must provide as much details as possible. GP unlikely to provide this though.
- as per my research Documents required are: passport copies of all of us three, marriage certificate, birth certificate, referees attestation letters - is there anything else required?
Proof of parent(s) ILR??
-Could we send copies instead of originals? If yes, how could we get them certified for acceptable standards for HO?
If you apply by post using the standard service, you have to send originals. If you apply using the new UKCVAS service, you scan the documents and enroll biometrics at one of the centres and get to keep originals. There is a fee for this service.
- in Online application there is only two options: either completed by the applicant or by the representative. My son, obviously cannot do it he is too young, and we don't have lawyer representing us - I am doing it. In the end system asks to confirm that either: I am the applicant or the representative, in strict terms it is not right if I select either. Could you advise from past experience which option would be correct to choose?
Representative.
- Will he get British passport after the citizenship? If so, could anyone share the link for requirements?
No he won't. Passport application is separate to the MN1 application. You can apply for a passport AFTER receipt of his citizenship certificate.
- What is difference between registering someone as British citizen and naturalisation? Why does he need to apply for naturalisation when he turns 18?

Who said he has to apply for naturalisation when he turns 18??? There is NO such requirement.
- Does he have to live in the UK certain amount of time to be eligible for naturalisation at age of 18?Extreme example: if he lives outside of the UK between after getting British citizenship will he still be eligible for naturalisation at age of 18?
See my comment above. Not sure where you are hearing this poor advice from.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Irakli
United Kingdom

Post by Irakli » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Dear CR001 - first of all let me take this opportunity and thank you for all your continuous support on this forum. Your level of expertise is invaluable for me and I believe for everyone using Immigrationboards.

With regards to bottom two points MN1 guidance mentions this, please see below from the guidance, p.4

Introduction to the Guide
Who is included in this guide and who is not included
This guide assists children who have not yet reached the age of majority (age 18) to become British citizens under the following sections of the British Nationality Act 1981. Once a child reaches age 18 they will have to apply to naturalise using form and guide AN.

Hence, the confusion..

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Irakli wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:48 pm
With regards to bottom two points MN1 guidance mentions this, please see below from the guidance, p.4

Introduction to the Guide
Who is included in this guide and who is not included
This guide assists children who have not yet reached the age of majority (age 18) to become British citizens under the following sections of the British Nationality Act 1981. Once a child reaches age 18 they will have to apply to naturalise using form and guide AN.
It means that MN1 is ONLY relevant to a child that has NOT yet turned 18. Once they turn 18, they have to Naturalise and cannot use MN1 to register as British. It does not state or mean that a child successfully registered as British on MN1 must then naturalised on form AN once 18.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Irakli
United Kingdom

Post by Irakli » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Oh I see - It was my wrong interpretation!

thank you CR001

Irakli
United Kingdom

Post by Irakli » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Dear CR001,

Could you please kindly advise on referees?

- There is not much option for 2 year old boy to find eligible professional referee, if GP refuses to provide passport and residence address details what would be your advice, what would you do in such scenario?

- Regarding second referee can it be my British citizen friend? If so, question ''How does the referee know the applicant?' may I write: Family Friend? if not, What would you advise?

Thank you

Irakli
United Kingdom

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello,

Anyone able to advise on this by chance?