ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for UK visit visa not from country of origin

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

altfhn
Bangladesh

Applying for UK visit visa not from country of origin

Post by altfhn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Hello

I would appreciate if anyone clarify the confusion please...

If the person has got 5 years US multiple entry visit visa, can the person apply for UK visit visa from USA?

Thank so much for your time and help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Applying for UK visit visa not from country of origin

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 pm

altfhn wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm
Hello

I would appreciate if anyone clarify the confusion please...

If the person has got 5 years US multiple entry visit visa, can the person apply for UK visit visa from USA?

Thank so much for your time and help.
No as you are unable to apply for a UK visitor visa while in the USA as a visitor.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Casa wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 pm
No as you are unable to apply for a UK visitor visa while in the USA as a visitor.
What is your source of this? The immigration rules (paragraph 28) say otherwise:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... -in-the-uk

This entry clearance guidance summarises paragraphs 28 and 28A in plain English:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... the-policy
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Anthony2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Anthony2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:40 pm
Casa wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 pm
What is your source of this? The immigration rules (paragraph 28) say otherwise:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... -in-the-uk

This entry clearance guidance summarises paragraphs 28 and 28A in plain English:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... the-policy
Did you read the plain English then.

As far as I am aware you have to apply for a visitor visa from the country you are a National of, resident of, currently living in. Not visiting.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Anthony2 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm
Did you read the plain English then.

As far as I am aware you have to apply for a visitor visa from the country you are a National of, resident of, currently living in. Not visiting.
I'm afraid your understanding is not correct. Do look again at the rules and guidance I posted previously. It confirms that someone applying for a Standard Visitor visa, Short Term Student visa or for some types of Tier 5 visa can do so in any country that has an entry clearance post. Applications for all other types of visa can only be made in the country where the applicant is living or where they have nationality.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

altfhn
Bangladesh

Post by altfhn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 pm

sah10406

Thank you so much for your clarification with references.

I am so surprised that there are some vateran moderator also mis-read the rules. Therefore, they advise to apply from coutry of origin!

In that case, I would like to request to share your expert knowledge about main point of visit visa application, which is to demonstrate close tie with your country. when someone apply from 3rd counrty then which country's tie need to demonstrate? the country applying from or the country of origin?

I would apprciate your time if you could please share your expert knowledge.

Thank you in anticipation.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:05 pm

How would you submit documented evidence of strong ties, to a country in which you are only visiting :?:

In order to obtain a visitor visa for the UK, the Case Worker will expect to see evidence of strong ties to the home country such as employment, property ownership, dependant family, ongoing education (college/university) etc. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:59 am

28. An applicant for an entry clearance must be outside the United Kingdom and Islands at the time of the application. An application for an entry clearance as a visitor or as a short-term student must be made to any post designated by the Secretary of State to accept such applications. Subject to paragraph 28A, any other application must be made to a post in the country or territory where the applicant is living which has been designated by the Secretary of State to accept applications for entry clearance for that purpose and from that category of applicant. Where there is no such post the applicant must apply to the appropriate designated post outside the country or territory where he is living.

The issue is not about where the visit visa application is made from but the probable lack of evidence a visitor to another country is likely to hold or have with them to support their ties to their home country.

There is also the fact that in making the application the documents eg passport to verify your stay in the US will not be with you for the period of time it takes to decide your application.

Will you be using the Premium service when you apply?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:26 am

altfhn wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 pm
I would like to request to share your expert knowledge about main point of visit visa application, which is to demonstrate close tie with your country. when someone apply from 3rd counrty then which country's tie need to demonstrate? the country applying from or the country of origin?
It is not the "main point", but clearly any evidence of your ties would relate to the country where you live. The entry clearance officer needs to be satisfied that you meet the requirements of Appendix V of the immigration rules. This includes paragraph V4.2(a):

The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
... will leave the UK at the end of their visit

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... itor-rules

The guidance for entry clearance officers making the decisions is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... t-guidance

It suggests under "Assessing an applicant's personal circumstances" (page 15) that this includes

their personal and economic ties to their country of residence

Then under "Grounds for doubting the applicant's intentions to visit the UK" (page 17) it says

This is not an exhaustive list but may help with your assessment...[if]:
    the applicant has few or no family and economic ties to their country of residence, and has several family members in the UK - for example a person with most of their family in the UK and no job or study in their own country may be considered to have few ties

Hence if you need to apply for a UK visit visa in a country where you are just visiting, it would be wise to have evidence of your ties to the country where you do live.

altfhn
    Bangladesh

Post by altfhn » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:
    Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:59 am
    28. An applicant for an entry clearance must be outside the United Kingdom and Islands at the time of the application. An application for an entry clearance as a visitor or as a short-term student must be made to any post designated by the Secretary of State to accept such applications. Subject to paragraph 28A, any other application must be made to a post in the country or territory where the applicant is living which has been designated by the Secretary of State to accept applications for entry clearance for that purpose and from that category of applicant. Where there is no such post the applicant must apply to the appropriate designated post outside the country or territory where he is living.

The issue is not about where the visit visa application is made from but the probable lack of evidence a visitor to another country is likely to hold or have with them to support their ties to their home country.

There is also the fact that in making the application the documents eg passport to verify your stay in the US will not be with you for the period of time it takes to decide your application.

Will you be using the Premium service when you apply?
    Thank you so much for your clarification.

if its necessary then I can use the premium service.

Is there anyone who has practical experience of applying for visit visa from other than country of origin?

Thanks again for your time.

altfhn
    Bangladesh

Post by altfhn » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:55 pm

sah10406 wrote:
    Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:26 am
    altfhn wrote:
    Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 pm
    I would like to request to share your expert knowledge about main point of visit visa application, which is to demonstrate close tie with your country. when someone apply from 3rd counrty then which country's tie need to demonstrate? the country applying from or the country of origin?
    It is not the "main point", but clearly any evidence of your ties would relate to the country where you live. The entry clearance officer needs to be satisfied that you meet the requirements of Appendix V of the immigration rules. This includes paragraph V4.2(a):

The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
    ... will leave the UK at the end of their visit

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... itor-rules

The guidance for entry clearance officers making the decisions is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... t-guidance

It suggests under "Assessing an applicant's personal circumstances" (page 15) that this includes

their personal and economic ties to their country of residence

Then under "Grounds for doubting the applicant's intentions to visit the UK" (page 17) it says

This is not an exhaustive list but may help with your assessment...[if]:
      the applicant has few or no family and economic ties to their country of residence, and has several family members in the UK - for example a person with most of their family in the UK and no job or study in their own country may be considered to have few ties

Hence if you need to apply for a UK visit visa in a country where you are just visiting, it would be wise to have evidence of your ties to the country where you do live.
      sah10406

Thank you for your clarification.

Is there anyone who has practical experience of applying from another country? Please share your knowledge.

Thank you for your time.

Frontier Mole
      Respected Guru
      European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 pm

It is a rare event for visit visas to be applied for outside of a country that the individual has a right to reside. I hope there are people on the forum with that experience but is is a very small population you will be aiming at.