ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Question regarding Permanent Residence and Citizenship

Post by Mabsa_guy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi all,

I am an EU citizen and have moved to the UK in September 2014 to take a 1-year MSc programme. Since July 2015 I am working in the UK. Since I have completed over 4 years in the UK, I was thinking in applying to the Permanent Resident next year. However, I have a few questions:

1. Am I only allowed to apply for it from September 2019 onwards or can I start the application process some months before?

2. I was a student for 1 year. Does that pose any barriers to this process? I am assuming it will count towards the 5 years.

Many thanks for your help.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Question regarding Permanent Residence and Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Mabsa_guy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 pm
Hi all,

I am an EU citizen and have moved to the UK in September 2014 to take a 1-year MSc programme. Since July 2015 I am working in the UK. Since I have completed over 4 years in the UK, I was thinking in applying to the Permanent Resident next year. However, I have a few questions:

1. Am I only allowed to apply for it from September 2019 onwards or can I start the application process some months before? Apply from Sep 2019 - this would then be the "settled status" application - the five years need to be completed first.

2. I was a student for 1 year. Does that pose any barriers to this process? I am assuming it will count towards the 5 years. No & Yes, and If you apply for settled status there is no requirement to have held CSI, as is the case for PR currently (for students and self-sufficient)

Many thanks for your help.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by Mabsa_guy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

Regarding your second point, I am unsure whether I can apply for settled status in 2019? I will be in the UK for 5 years but it won't be 5 continuous years as a professional. If I apply in 2019 will I need to show any sort of CSI, despite the fact I was a student many years ago?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 pm

The settled status doesn't have the concept of qualified person (per EU regulations). It will not be based on being worker or student.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Question

Post by Mabsa_guy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm

Hello,

I am from Portugal and moved to the UK in September 2014 to pursue a MSc at King's College. I started to work in September 2016 until today.

If I apply for a British citizenship, will the period between September 2014 and September 2015 be considered towards the 5 years? If so, what documentation do I need to provide?

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Question

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:26 pm

Do you hold PR or settled status??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:29 pm

On a point of interest, CR001, would having a CoE-RoA in a South African p[assport be an acceptable way of retaining SA citizenship without revealing your British citizenship?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:43 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:29 pm
On a point of interest, CR001, would having a CoE-RoA in a South African p[assport be an acceptable way of retaining SA citizenship without revealing your British citizenship?
No. You lose your SA citizenship automatically on the date of British citizenship ceremony if you have not applied beforehand to the SA Consular for permission to hold dual nationality.

My letter from the Consular section clearly states I lost my SA citizenship on acquisition of BC on the exact date of my ceremony, which the letter states in bold underlined.

You also have to declare any other nationalities when renewing your SA passport.

Note this only applies to those who voluntarily apply for another citizenship and not those who are British by descent who can retain both nationalities.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by Mabsa_guy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:19 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:26 pm
No I don't. In order to get it, will my time as a student be considered?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Mabsa_guy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:19 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:26 pm
No I don't. In order to get it, will my time as a student be considered?
You cannot apply for citizenship until you have PR or settled status. You need to have held PR or settled status for 12 mo this before you can apply for British citizenship, unless you are married to a British citizen.

Citizenship is based on residence and not EU regulations and rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by Mabsa_guy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks. And will my 1 year as a MSc student be considered for PR?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:43 pm

You need to ask your PR/Settled Status questions in the EEA Sub forum.

eea-route-applications/
Char (CR001 not Casa)